• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Food Quotes

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Quote from my late Uncle Glen: "If there is an empty (serving) bowl on the table after dinner, then somebody didn't get enough to eat."

I'm guessing your uncle wasn't Chinese, but that is a very Chinese sentiment. All the serving dishes and bowls being empty would reduce the host to total loss of face.

The dark side of that is the huge amount of food waste  I see here, although, to be fair there is a big doggy bag culture in restaurants and at home. Recently with more city dwelling people having fridges, uneaten lunch will turn up at dinner etc.

Out in the countryside, it is normal to cook slightly too much, especially when entertaining.The lack of refrigeration here in the countryside tropics rules out recycling, but the pigs have smiles on their faces (which we eat in winter).

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

but the pigs have smiles on their faces (which we eat in winter).

You eat the pigs?  The smiles? Or both?😂

Just couldn’t resist since I’ve heard of eating everything but the oink. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

This is one I need to remember.  No one enjoys a meal that begins with the cook explaining how it could have been better if only I'd...

This applies to life as well... that's why I love this quote so much.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

“The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, she went.”

-Saki (H.H. Munro)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather on a Friday in lent, at a small restaurant in NY: "I'll have an order of shark eyebrows. Oh, they are not on your menu, well the lord knows I asked for fish, I'll have a steak, rare, just run him around the yard to warm him up, first."

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

My grandfather on a Friday in lent, at a small restaurant in NY: "I'll have an order of shark eyebrows. Oh, they are not on your menu, well the lord knows I asked for fish, I'll have a steak, rare, just run him around the yard to warm him up, first."

HC

I am reminded of a quote but I cannot find whom to credit:

”Steak so rare a good vet could bring back to life.”

And my late husband’s description of how his beef should be cooked. Again I cannot find the source:

”Wipe its ass and hooves and run it through the kitchen.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of my father's navy buddies used to order with the same "wipe its ass" comment, and if the server questioned this he'd amplify "Show it a match at 10 paces, and we're all good."

My uncle used to amuse himself at KFC by ordering a Bachelor Pack. When the young lady at the counter raised an inquiring eyebrow, he'd explain "All breasts and thighs."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am reminded of a quote but I cannot find whom to credit:

”Steak so rare a good vet could bring back to life.

And my late husband’s description of how his beef should be cooked. Again I cannot find the source:

”Wipe its ass and hooves and run it through the kitchen.

The first was said by Gordon Ramsay on one of his shows, although I can't be sure he was being entirely original.

The second seems to be a version of '' Knock off its horns, wipe its ass, and throw it on the plate"  as in the Australian film Barry McKenzie Holds His Own (1974) , although again I can't be sure that is the original either. I doubt anyone can. There are so many variations and close counterparts.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Waiter to his customers: "Is everything okay? You haven't photographed your food."

I have a set of nephews that used to always check with me when I'd set up the Xmas Eve buffet to make sure I'd taken my pictures before they started serving themselves. 😄  Nice manners!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

A fat brown goose lay at one end of the table and at the other end, on a bed of creased paper strewn with sprigs of parsley, lay a great ham, stripped of its outer skin and peppered over with crust crumbs, a neat paper frill round its shin and beside this was a round of spiced beef. Between these rival ends ran parallel lines of side-dishes: two little minsters of jelly, red and yellow; a shallow dish full of blocks of blancmange and red jam, a large green leaf-shaped dish with a stalk-shaped handle, on which lay bunches of purple raisins and peeled almonds, a companion dish on which lay a solid rectangle of Smyrna figs, a dish of custard topped with grated nutmeg, a small bowl full of chocolates and sweets wrapped in gold and silver papers and a glass vase in which stood some tall celery stalks. In the centre of the table there stood, as sentries to a fruit-stand which upheld a pyramid of oranges and American apples, two squat old-fashioned decanters of cut glass, one containing port and the other dark sherry. On the closed square piano a pudding in a huge yellow dish lay in waiting and behind it were three squads of bottles of stout and ale and minerals, drawn up according to the colours of their uniforms, the first two black, with brown and red labels, the third and smallest squad white, with transverse green sashes.

James Joyce, "The Dead" , from Dubliners.

• Like 2