• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Dejah said:

@Kim Shook Thank you for the birthday wish for hubby.
@Smokeydoke: Yup, 100% Chinese. The Chinese restaurant was a family biz (1972) that I took over in 1992 for 10 years even though I swore as a teenager working in it to NEVER be in the restaurant biz.
Loved it for the 10 years, retired, then went back teaching.
I DID learn a lot about cooking. Now, I do a variety of cooking, sometimes very traditional Chinese, sometimes Canadian Chinese, and often, exploring other cuisine.

Tonight, a simple oven baked low-carb coconut chicken, Lemon Parmesan Green Beans, and Shirataki Fettuccini noodles with Alfredo sauce and fresh green peppercorns.

5a697f11cbae9_CoconutChicken2339.jpg.cfe968275ac18d9673049648d91f69e2.jpg

What kind of Shirataki noodles do you use?  We have tried a few different ones, one type is from T & T, an Asian store, another brand is, or was, Nupasta which we were eating until we found Zeroodles which we like the best.  They don't have that "funky" smell/taste and also come as "rice".  You can get them plain or with added oat bran for added fibre.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight,  I made myself some chicken wraps/rolls.

They look delicious and I bet they were. Did you make your own wraps? They look different from what I might’ve expected meaning they don’t quite look like the egg roll wrappers I can buy here nor quite like the flour tortillas that I can buy.  I am just very curious. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They look delicious and I bet they were. Did you make your own wraps? They look different from what I might’ve expected meaning they don’t quite look like the egg roll wrappers I can buy here nor quite like the flour tortillas that I can buy.  I am just very curious.)

No. I didn't make the wrappers - they are store bought. Apologies if I may have inadvertently suggested otherwise.

I buy these wraps in the one supermarket which still has an in-house bakery. The local name  for them is 面皮 (miàn pí) which literally means 'wheat (flour) skins'.

Somewhat confusingly, the same name is sometimes used in Xi'an and environs for a type of wheat noodles, also known as 凉皮 (liáng pí). Apart from the name, they are unrelated.

It occurs to me that I haven't the faintest idea how they are used locally. I only ever use them as I have shown above. They are certainly not like egg roll wrappers nor tortillas. They are in two thin layers with an overall textural resemblance to thick wrapping paper (but tastier!).

I will make enquiries and get back to you on how they are used here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Working on smoked chicken thighs for dinner with sautéed kale.   The kale is mingling with diced onions, garlic and chicken fat from the trimmings of the thighs.  

I like to to try to integrate the waste from the other ingredients to enhance the meal. Less waste and It all has a part in the play 

• Like 1

A9F4340D-0565-45F0-83B7-766699BF9006.thumb.jpeg.3017b6954c03f529beb4d9d492acd479.jpegTwo dinners from a couple of lamb shoulder chops done in the Instant Pot.

Last night with carrots, potatoes, tomato and onion. 

7B03382C-F62F-4816-B1FE-9221A5BDF4B1.thumb.jpeg.c4baaf07e2cdfc437d9781ad5350bf36.jpeg

Tonight I had the remains reheated in the Cuisinart Steam Oven with the addition of some caramelized onion and some baby bok choy. 

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks @lindag,

Thanks @Tropicalsenior

Thanks @scubadoo97

5a6ab1da05607_PizzaJanuary25th2018.thumb.jpg.c93547f9630abaa13fbfbd893fc145f0.jpg

I still had some sour dough in the fridge so I made another pizza tonight.

5a6ab1cf4684d_TiramisuJanuary25th2018.thumb.jpg.b8e319a3c84509c1a24b947490f13cba.jpg

And before leaving for work this morning I made dessert.   Actually I made two.  One for our neighbour and friend. 

5a6ab1c73c877_TiramisuJanuary25th20183.thumb.jpg.11718fd6683377b05354cd219c7b40b5.jpg

Tiramisu.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

On ‎25‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I liked this very, very much though speaking hypothetically I'd have to be rather drunk to bring myself to actually taste this stuff.  (Kidney pie comes to mind from the UK.)

Not sure why these dishes bother me as I'm from Philadelphia, home of scrapple (cornmeal and pig offal...perhaps offal is a euphemism) and pepper pot (intestine stew).

I am not a psychiatrist, but I think there is a deep - and unfounded - aversion to all things offal in many people. You are not alone :)

Sure, kidney and tripe can taste very "distinct", but so do cheeses, fermented seafood and a plethora of other items. I admit I do mostly enjoy offal for its variety of textures, and there are items that I do not like at all tastewise. But given that having these food only on few occasions and usually in very special settings (see above, my MIL cooking callos for me or me making rabbit stew on a very relaxed day and enjoying liver, heart and kidneys on toast with a glass of wine while cooking) made me learn to enjoy them a lot. And seeing a neon sign announcing offal in the middle of a freezing Tokyo night, already imbibed with some Sake, makes for a very happy evening ...

(and if you make the trip over to Japan, I'll share it with you)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

BEEN WORKING WITH ZOODLES AGAIN!!

VEGGIE PIZZA on MAMA LUPES TORTILLA

First the morning prep:  Cut/salted/ placed on papertowels and pressed  (  this removes excess water )

26025187648_3acf1cb282_o.thumb.jpg.52a19f1401578d279e0f453c77670026.jpg

In the evening -- added zoodle zucchini,carrots,broc stem, with blk kale garlic,onion hot pepper --  sauted in Butter and Evoo/ deglazed with champagne vinegar and sherry.. reduced

heated tortilla in pan, pre cook,  add parm chees first then veggies, and Italian seasoning, ready for sauce and broil

26028325608_00e305f8e9_o.thumb.jpg.6198bde7af439f1fde1e8b7734e888f5.jpg

Dressed with sauce and cheese into broiler

39901618361_7689ba9b61_o.thumb.jpg.cab2429884aa5d0de4b1150100e453b0.jpg

Done--my wife loved it and so di I  ( Served w/Cade HM cab 2014--big wine , mountain fruit, very smooth  )

39009047695_e18dd14263_o.thumb.jpg.f4c0cf22f62ca2d4066b7ddd97990e41.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

Tonight a meal I've made, and probably posted, many times before. But with a very slight difference.

pork2.thumb.jpg.a1cc6b15919886d63d3d044e4bf836b3.jpg

Pork with salt fermented black beans (豆豉 dòu chǐ), garlic, ginger, chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, Shaoxing wine, and soy sauce. With spinach.

Unusually, and non-traditionally, I wilted the spinach in with the pork. The reason for this is highly scientific. A full explanation is beyond the scope of this post, but can be abbreviated to "pure laziness".

pork.thumb.jpg.0cae6a0f146daebfd2e84e909701d214.jpg

P.S. The gold thing top left is a traditional Chinese compass used in 风水 fēng shuǐ and nothing at all to do with my dinner or my laziness, other than I was too lazy to move it out of shot. By the way, such compasses point to the south rather than north. Well they point both ways really,  but the southern direction is the one highlighted. Hey, they invented compasses, so they can point any darn way they please.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A casserole of mallow, onion and sirene cheese, with zaatar and lemon zest.

Freekeh (green smoked wheat) cooked to risotto texture, with chickpeas and mushrooms, sage, garlic and smoked paprika.

IMG_20180112_135715.thumb.jpg.efbfc5e7cc8c3b6966008de294e6ec1d.jpgIMG_20180112_140003.thumb.jpg.a7a8661558fe3a05a16151a5d2b6e7fe.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

-my wife loved it and so did I 

I also like using tortillas for pizza crust. They sell a big thick tortilla here with fresh basil in it. The one problem that I have had is getting them crispy enough. I'm going to use your method. Thank you very much for the idea. Yours look absolutely delicious.

• Like 2

last night tried something different.  was at the grocery and saw a plant based burger called The Beyond Burger.  on sale so decided to try it.  not bad,  not bad at all.  ate it on a toasted English muffin with some relish, tomato and thinly shaved cheddar.  salad on the side.

it really felt meaty and didn't taste like sawdust......

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

D459FCE9-6365-4F1F-AE9F-DC7396CF587A.thumb.jpeg.fc7003dc68689379f5e59508504983cf.jpeg

Duck breast, lingonberry sauce, mashed potatoes (instant) with some caramelized onions folded in. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Done--my wife loved it and so did I

Thank you for the tip. I used your idea, well sort of. I crisped the bottom of the tortilla in a grill pan before I baked the pizza in the oven and it turned out perfect.

Made 2 tonight and they were the best ever. the one on the left is an Italian pizza with Italian sausage, mushrooms, anchovies and 4 cheeses. The one on the right is Mexican, more like a tostada, with refried beans, taco meat, olives, pepper strips, tomatoes and three kinds of cheese. I made that one for a Nicaraguan girl that is staying with us. She loves Mexican food.20180126_180900.thumb.jpg.fdf42cc87f0708a02ff575b6a3d7f187.jpg

Terrible picture but they sure tasted good. Nice crispy crust.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Tiko Tuskadze, Supra -- Georgian dishes from two mornings ago, though remarkably the same as what's for tonight:

IspanakhisPkhali01262018.png

Ispanakhis Pkhali (p14):  Spinach, garlic, walnut paste, stir-fried green onion and cilantro.  Lots of Georgian spices.  Pomegranate to garnish.

Tabaka01262018.png

Tabaka (p140):  flattened, spiced pan-fried poussin (or in this case Cornish game hen).  Prepared on DeLonghi griddle.

Dinner01242018.png

Served with steamed potatoes and green Tkemali.  Tkemali is sour plum sauce.  Mine was purchased but it was from Georgia.  I confess I like red Tkemali better.

Tuskadze says she ate it every day.  Pretty much the same here, though last night was Japanese curry.

Edit:  I can't decide whether I like red or green Tkemali better.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 16

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Have I mentioned how much I love the little Cuisinart Steam Oven?

5a6bf895abaf7_WingsandPotatoesJanuary26th2018.thumb.jpg.9f5f9f35c6c100b9ca9d268e40a35db0.jpg

Platter for Two

I used it tonight for wings and potatoes.   Cooked them one right after the other

and the wings were kept warm on top of the oven while the potatoes cooked.  

Wings took 30 minutes at 450°F Bake Steam Setting and the potatoes 25 minutes

on the same setting.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 15

On 1/25/2018 at 7:48 AM, ElsieD said:

What kind of Shirataki noodles do you use?  We have tried a few different ones, one type is from T & T, an Asian store, another brand is, or was, Nupasta which we were eating until we found Zeroodles which we like the best.  They don't have that "funky" smell/taste and also come as "rice".  You can get them plain or with added oat bran for added fibre.

@ElsieD: I pick up these "Tofu Shirataki" noodles at our Safeway - House Noodles? They do have that funky smell but I just rinse and throw them into hot water for a few minutes. Seems to take that smell away. The texture is not as rubber-band like. I have only seen Zeroodles at the Low Carb mail order store. Been trying to order the rice ones, but they are always sold out! I am looking forwward to trying the rice ones!
Tonight's dinner was Coconut Chicken Meatballs. They are similar to the Beef Meatballs served in Dim Sum restaurants, but much easier to put together. It's a recipe by Urvashi of Twosleeves.
Steamed some turnip and turned them into "fries", asparagus with bacon,  and spinach salad...all fairly low-carb.

5a6c02dacc914_CoconutChickenMeatballs2350.jpg.c5f751f828bcea5362f21c6cb2581399.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

tonight was date night so we went to a local seafood place 

Anchor Oyster Bar

579 Castro (18th Street)

DSC04530-001.JPG.c4624faacc506982e687200d274426ce.JPG

I don't remember the provenance of these oysters

Served with mignonette and cocktail sauce with horseradish

DSC04533-001.JPG.5b8c14f76a1eb50076f48f19410c2c6b.JPG

Cioppino, served with garlic bread

This is a half-portion, enough for two people

I finished it, of course. B joked, "Do you have a bottomless pit for a stomach, because I don't understand where you're putting all of that food!"

DSC04535-001.JPG.7fdcb4550cd7ac02161849d070995355.JPG

Sea scallops, roasted potatoes, vegetables

Then we went across the street to an ice cream shop

DSC04540-001.JPG.6cba53d6e7eaec13454f86a222f4cf80.JPG

Snowball ice cream is toasted coconut, marshmallow fluff and chocolate cake pieces...hmmm, no thanks 

DSC04546-001.JPG.06f7c61af7613dddbc94b0dc1dd202ab.JPG

Milk chocolate banana ice cream with hot fudge

DSC04543-001.JPG.0bff87080e2407d362a57e528303362f.JPG

The exotic flavor known as VA-NIL-LA ice cream with hot fudge

:)

See you tomorrow!

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

On 25/01/2018 at 9:48 AM, ElsieD said:

Nupasta seems to be the only variety available in my neck of the woods. So far nobody's gotten past the first bite. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Pizza night (one day early, as I need to travel tomorrow): the usual poolish, bulk ferment and direct baking on the bottom of the oven applied. Topping of the day was broccoli and bacon (as voted by my four year-old), followed by mushroom and salami and bacon, mushroom and olive (which I liked the best, even though three topping were a bit much for my Asperger's). 

I ran out of beer, so whiskey & coke was in order. Guess what - pizza seems to be very forgiving on its alcoholic accompaniment...

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

• Like 14