• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

32 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

6 minutes, high pressure. Just like every other time I have done it.

Yeah I agree with the others.  If it sealed and counted down (as you well know) and they were that raw there is something wrong with the IP itself.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If I have an issue with an IP recipe that has previously worked well, I clean it thoroughly, replace the sealing ring with a new one and try again. Hasn’t failed me yet. 
You could just reseat the existing ring after cleaning but if I have a new one on hand, I’ll try that first and give the old one a second chance later. 

Also, be sure to remove and clean the float valve (the little pin that pops up when it comes up to pressure). The one time I had a problem it was some invisible bit of schmutz in that part. I took the gasket out and cleaned it, took the float valve out, q-tipped the hole and the pin (nothing visible came out or off), and reassembled. Problem solved.

Edited by DesertTinker
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 1

Mystery solved. IO error.

It somehow got set to low pressure. I've never changed that setting, it's always been set to high. Not sure how that happened. Apparently, it matters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 minute ago, chileheadmike said:

Mystery solved. IO error.

It somehow got set to low pressure. I've never changed that setting, it's always been set to high. Not sure how that happened. Apparently, it matters. 

Hurrah! Unfortunately it does make a bit of a difference in your final results.🤣

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 11:19 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

Coq au vin rosé from Melissa Clark’s Dinner in an Instant. I really enjoyed this. The chicken was a bit firm but I think that it had more to do with the quality of the chicken than the recipe itself. The recipe took about 90 minutes to make total, so it’s doable on a week night. 

I made this again... this time for 10 people. While delicious (I got lots of raves from my French friends), it does take a little bit of time. For 10 it took about 3 hours total, with browning the legs being the most time consuming part (browning was done in a large Le Creuset Dutch oven), followed by the prep of the pearl onions. I had to cook the chicken in two batches based on the size of my instant pot.

Coq au vin rose (Melissa Clark - instant pot)

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5

39 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I made this again... this time for 10 people. While delicious (I got lots of raves from my French friends), it does take a little bit of time. For 10 it took about 3 hours total, with browning the legs being the most time consuming part (browning was done in a large Le Creuset Dutch oven), followed by the prep of the pearl onions. I had to cook the chicken in two batches based on the size of my instant pot.

Coq au vin rose (Melissa Clark - instant pot)

That looks amazing.  Gorgeous picture.