• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

I don't really have your answer

but Id look up at a reliable source 

the Rx for falling off ' breading '

sound like a stupid suggestion 

but Ive seen and read somewhere that there is a solution for this problem.

sorry to say I can't recall what it is.

Good Hunting !

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, Shelby said:

Over on the sous vide thread I've been experimenting with SV'ing chicken and pheasant and then frying and have had good success.  So, I decided to try pressure cooking chicken gizzards and then frying.  

Not so much success.

Here are the gizzards after pressure cooking--so far so good.  I do them on high for an hour.  That makes them perfect for us--not falling apart, but tender with a tiny bit of chew like gizzards should have.

IMG_6234.JPG.d17a6da1b40a64b50e6f56ed4566b2e9.JPG

Then I soaked them in my usual buttermilk/egg mixture --not that the buttermilk would make them more tender, it's just my usual method-- and then they went into flour mixed with salt and pepper and then into the skillet for frying.

All of the breading fell off as you can see here:

IMG_6236.JPG.a7ac3979c56f65d4de39b74beef1012a.JPG

They were still good and everything, but far from the usual fried chicken gizzards 😂.

Should I have double dipped them?  As in, dip in the buttermilk, then the flour, then buttermilk again and flour again?  Any ideas?  Or is this just never going to work?

hi Shelby - I love using buttermilk, too! 

Are you drying your gizzards after the soak? - Dry - coat - egg (if using) - coat again - fridge maybe 30mins to an hour (if you have time) - then fry ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

On 4/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, JAZ said:

I'm doing some research for a client, who wants to know what people cook most in multicookers, specifically the top 10 foods. For me personally, (in no particular order) it would be pork shoulder, chuck roast, short ribs, chicken thighs, beans, and cheesecake -- after that, it drops off quite a bit, but probably pasta and sauce combinations, bread puddings and custards, beets and sweet potatoes. What else? What do you cook most often?

Stock

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last night we tried the Chicken Thighs with Salami and Fennel recipe from JAZ's Ultimate Instant Pot® Cookbook for Two. This is a very nice flavor combination. I tend to be leery of fennel because of its association with anise, but the sweetness of the bulb comes through and the licorice flavor doesn't. I need to use this vegetable more.

20190526_081814.jpg

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just can't believe it !

I mis-placed my iPot notebook ( red )  

and therefore ask for a little help

Id like to pressure steam eggs right out of the refrigerator , as I have don in the past

on the Low Pressure setting hoping to get a white that is tender , and a yolk that is custard like

I know some of you do this.

and A High pressure steam in of New Potatoes cut into large chunks , in the basket above the 1 cup of water

Time ?  release ?

a good day for potato salad here :  going to over 80 !

many thanks 

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Id like to pressure steam eggs right out of the refrigerator , as I have don in the past

on the Low Pressure setting hoping to get a white that is tender , and a yolk that is custard like

and A High pressure steam in of New Potatoes cut into large chunks , in the basket above the 1 cup of water

Time ?  release ?

many thanks 

I haven't tried it myself, so I'm just giving you book-learning. Maybe someone with experience will post, but time's a-wasting for your day's potato salad. :)

The Instant Pot cookbook that I mentioned just before your post says this about potatoes:

• Potatoes, large russet / quartered, for mashing: 4 minutes at High pressure; Natural release for 8 minutes, then quick release.
  • Potatoes, red / whole if less than 1.5 inch across; halved if larger: 4 minutes on High pressure; quick release.

I'd guess that the red potato treatment is closer to what you want for potato salad.

For hard-cooked eggs she uses Steam, High pressure, quick release and then right into an ice water bath. This is for eggs right out of the refrigerator, but note that she isn't doing it on Low pressure so it isn't the same technique and I don't know how it would compare to what you're after. 

I'll dig around some of my electronic books and look for other information, in case nobody with experience posts here!

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Further to the egg question: @JAZ's Instant Pot Obsession cookbook has a recipe for soft-boiled eggs. This may be closer to what you want? It says to use refrigerator-temperature eggs, put them on a basket above 1 cup of water (remember, you're steaming, not boiling them) and:

For soft eggs: Select Steam; adjust the pressure to Low and the time to 3 minutes. For slightly firmer eggs: Select Steam; adjust the pressure to High and the time to 2 minutes. After cooking, quick release the pressure. Unlock and remove the lid and use tongs to transfer the eggs to the ice bath.

The ice bath is just for about 30 seconds, so you can handle the eggs.

The book also has a recipe for potato salad in which you cook the eggs and the potatoes together in the IP. 2" size red potatoes, quartered, share the steamer basket with the eggs. Put 1 cup water in the pot; select Steam / High; cook 4 minutes and then quick release. Again there's an ice bath for the eggs.

I hope this all helps. Let us know what you do, and how it comes out! I may go make some potato salad myself on this fine sunny day.

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Time ?  release ?

many thanks 

As Smithy mentioned, I have a recipe for pressure steaming eggs and potatoes together for potato salad (4 minutes, high pressure); the eggs come out with completely solid, pale yellow yolks. If you're after a softer, darker yolk, you could cut the time by a minute. That being said, despite all the eggs I've cooked in the Instant Pot, I find that steaming them without pressure gives the most reliable results. Under pressure (low or high), it seems that the tiniest variable can make a big difference in how they come out, and pressure cooking takes about the same time total as non-pressure steaming. I bring an inch or so of water to a boil, then add the eggs in a steamer basket and cover the pot. Thirteen minutes will give you completely set, pale yellow yolks; 10 minutes will result in softer dark yellow yolks (not runny).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rotuts said:

Time ?  release ?

many thanks 

Presumably the potato salad has been made and enjoyed and the red notebook located but if not, check these posts:

Potatoes

Eggs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I was just reading about it! It looks rather bulky and the hot element concerns me a bit. Not sure how much I would use it, but I would be interested in hearing more from anyone who does try one.   🙂

And I wonder how it compares to a standard air-fryer. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I went to their site and they only accept orders in the US.  However, both Amazon.ca and Amazon.com sell their products so no doubt it will show up there.  I agree, it will be interesting to see the ratings.

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

With My air fryer I find you need to shakes the basket a few times during a cook.  Not sure one can do the shaking with this unit.

Yes, that's a good point because the review points out that this is a bit awkward with the CrispLid:

The air fryer basket is small and doesn’t hold as much as I had hoped. You will need to rotate your food or do a few smaller batches to crisp food throughout. 

[...]

If you want to flip your food or rotate the food, raise the handle to pause the cooking process. However, if you’re not extremely quick at shifting the food, the cook time will restart when you lock the handle back in place. So you’ll want to keep an eye on the time before you adjust it.

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

With My air fryer I find you need to shakes the basket a few times during a cook.  Not sure one can do the shaking with this unit.

Looks like it turns the instant pot into a Ninja Foodi which is a combo pressure cooker and air fryer and seems to have a cult following.  The Foodi comes with an air crisping basket which probably could be lifted out to shake or move the food around.  I guess you'd need to buy some similar inserts to use that unit's lid effectively.

• Thanks 2

nahh! Just search Amazon for "Halogen Oven"

All you're buying is the top piece which fits on the glass bowl, howerver instead of the glass bowl you're using your instant pot.

Check out point number 7 in their manual under "safeguards": Never use it if your pressure cooker is turned on or plugged in!

Don't waste your money.

p

Pork Vindaloo is on the menu tonight!

296CE620-4503-4BCF-9317-D69CCF8D0AC2.thumb.jpeg.1cc940f34b4e046a549713f5671d4a48.jpeg

Pork Butt Roast, about 2 lb., cubed and seasoned with salt and pepper

EC5EB57C-960A-47FF-9380-D50A22859941.thumb.jpeg.2c15c42657111558b18ae73653cf4e24.jpeg

Pork cubes browned in batches in a bit of grapeseed oil, removed from pot; onions browned, then pork added back in.

92ABCD6B-FC7E-405D-BA95-D147A1AED17E.thumb.jpeg.117ea2998319e16f2b38193a955730d2.jpeg

Patak’s simmer sauce added, along with half a jar of water; stirred and set at high pressure for 30 minutes. Will let go for 15 minutes at natural release, then reduce to thicken gravy. Results will be posted on the Dinner Thread!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

• 3 weeks later...

I need some advice, please!  I've got a 4.3 lb. sirloin tip roast.  Can I cook this as is (meaning whole) in the IP?  How long?  I'm planning to brown it first along with some onions and garlic.  Maybe some Montreal steak seasoning.  Would one cup of liquid be good?  Thanks, as always!

@robirdstx

just now noting some of the details of your Pork Vindaloo in the iPot

I note you use ' simmer sauce '     I tend to use only Patak's pastes

Im guessing the pastes have more concentrated flavor.

have you tried pastes and if so , what do you think ?

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

If no one replies, google “sirloin tip roast in instapot” and you will find some ideas.  I have not done this cut in the instapot.

I did try that.  They mostly reference much smaller roasts.  But I persevered and did indeed find one using a 4 lb. roast!  Thank you!

• Like 1