• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Made some brownies tonight - recipe on David Lebovitz's blog for Phil's Brownies (Phil Rosenthal - Somebody Feed Phil).

Not sure I'm a big fan - but it's really unfair to taste them before they have properly firmed up so we shall see tomorrow.

IMG_5317.thumb.JPG.a45b91eca08ee137edcb38a33ee4b4b1.JPG 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to make the carrot cake from "Snacking Cakes" but didn't have any dates. What I did have was an apple, a few carrots and a pineapple. So I made the Morning Glory cake. Arefi's suggestion to throw in some fennel seeds was brilliant. That would not have occurred to me in a million years. I had no cardamom, so I skipped that; I don't like cardamom much anyway. And I used walnuts because I don't like pecans enough to keep them around. I just love that so many of the recipes call for ingredients I already have on hand and can be impulse bakes. I've made four of the cakes so far and haven't had to shop first.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:28 PM, Elkyfr said:

In the Uk I use double cream with: Energy 2043kJ, 497kcal Fat 54g of which saturates 33g Carbohydrate 1.7g of which sugars 1.7g Fibre 0g Protein 1.6g Salt 0.06g

Not sure about Switzerland but in France one would use a 35% cream for flan, very similar to concoctions above. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DianaB said:

Not sure about Switzerland but in France one would use a 35% cream for flan, very similar to concoctions above. 

I make flans (creme caramel) with whole milk and have never used cream. For the coconut flan I use coconut milk.

I use double cream instead of milk to make rice pudding faster.

• Like 3

@Katie Meadow – thanks for the post on the Snacking Cakes book. I’ve placed a hold on it at my library! 

For many years one of Mr. Kim’s staff has requested Tin Roof Brownies for his birthday “cake”.  They are supposed to be a layered bar of brownie (I use the Ghirardelli mix because I’ve never made a better brownie from scratch), marshmallow crème, salted peanuts, and chocolate.  He always requests no peanuts (no allergy, he just prefers them without). 

1-IMG_2291.thumb.jpg.e4a349da4a4f4db24c62599ac4dc5d4e.jpg

1-IMG_2292.jpg.f52ae10ff9bc06507f412c7caf3f8050.jpg

I can’t fathom eating these without the salted peanuts – much too sweet for even me – but that’s what he likes. When I make these for us, I include the layer of peanuts and use dark chocolate. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

For many years one of Mr. Kim’s staff has requested Tin Roof Brownies for his birthday “cake”.  They are supposed to be a layered bar of brownie (I use the Ghirardelli mix because I’ve never made a better brownie from scratch), marshmallow crème, salted peanuts, and chocolate.  He always requests no peanuts (no allergy, he just prefers them without). 

I can’t fathom eating these without the salted peanuts – much too sweet for even me – but that’s what he likes. When I make these for us, I include the layer of peanuts and use dark chocolate. 

They look like fun, but I must admit my teeth were hurting just reading the list of ingredients.  Peanuts and dark chocolate for sure.  Maybe skip the marshmallow creme altogether.  :raz:

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

22 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Ghirardelli mix because I’ve never made a better brownie from scratch),

The only brownie recipe that I have found that comes close to these is the Katherine Hepburn brownies. They are a little more work and I think that the ingredients of the scratch brownies actually cost more than the brownie mix.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:55 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Made some brownies tonight - recipe on David Lebovitz's blog for Phil's Brownies (Phil Rosenthal - Somebody Feed Phil).

Not sure I'm a big fan - but it's really unfair to taste them before they have properly firmed up so we shall see tomorrow.

Did we get a verdict on this?

38 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Did we get a verdict on this?

Too sweet - too chocolaty - hubby liked them just fine - but they aren't Paul Young brownies

• Thanks 1

@Kim ShookI often check out library books and end up copying a few recipes. Be warned, the type in this book is small and not very black, which, as I mentioned somewhere, is the only drawback. I don't even think the recipes would copy very easily. Especially because I really like this book that really irritates me. Not only should a cookbook be readable, but it should be very readable, given that the baker is most likely setting it on a counter, which if further away than regular reading distance. Oh, yeah, cranky me. Old enough to want quick and easy cake recipes, too old to have perfect eyesight. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Still on the chocolate chip cookie kick. 
David Leite’s Ultimate. 
Couldn’t find my Valrhona Manjari, so used El Rey’s Mijao discos, with a sprinkle of Maldon.  Added walnuts cuz I have to have nuts in my cookie. 

A88FDBAA-13E6-4E2D-828D-E8E78C8DDFF2.jpeg

• Like 8

On 7/11/2021 at 3:08 PM, MaryIsobel said:

Blueberries are early and plentiful this year. Blueberry pie from my Mom's recipe. Shell is filled with uncooked blueberries and then topped with blueberries cooked with a small amount of sugar and cornstarch, water, finished with lemon juice and butter. One for dinner and two minis, one for the elderly neighbour and one to take to my Dad tomorrow. Presentation is a bit sloppy but I used more fresh blueberries than called for and had a bit of overflow. Nothing that whipped cream or ice cream won't cover up!

200340119_2883897461874785_8499238619428555434_n.jpg

Just found this, Mary Isobel. It looks delicious! And I can't wait for blueberry season. Ha ha.

Could you please give a more detailed recipe? Thanks!

25 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Just found this, Mary Isobel. It looks delicious! And I can't wait for blueberry season. Ha ha.

Could you please give a more detailed recipe? Thanks!

Here's the recipe from the cookbook I made for my daughters. "Grandma with the sore knee" was their name for my mom who had just had her second knee replacement when they began to talk. The title was used to differentiate between her and Grandma Roro  - their grandma who lived in Ontarion.

BBP_8767.jpg

• Thanks 1

Cinnamon rolls. One half of the pan are cinnamon and brown sugar and a bit of nutmeg. The other half is cardamom and cinnamon.

Sour cream dressing on the side.

PXL_20230225_135609399.thumb.jpg.0ad30c0bd20d20db5dd01172a2e9141d.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

I just took my caramel nut bars out of the oven. My husband and I had something similar to this in a bakery quite a few years ago and I decided to see if I could copy it. It took some tweaking to get it just the way my husband liked it but I finally came up with a recipe that I think works.

It has a shortbread base and the second layer based on eggs, brown sugar, nuts and both white and chocolate chips.

In the photo, it looks like it's over baked but it's just a trick of the lighting. I'll post another photo tonight after I cut into it.

20230303_161346.thumb.jpg.676e461941df8860930963ce0d310690.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, shain said:

Cinnamon rolls. One half of the pan are cinnamon and brown sugar and a bit of nutmeg. The other half is cardamom and cinnamon.

Sour cream dressing on the side.

PXL_20230225_135609399.thumb.jpg.0ad30c0bd20d20db5dd01172a2e9141d.jpg

I think my mouth is actually watering.  Do they look delicious!!!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

These are my go-to treats, as they can be catered to anyone's taste. This batch is for my daughter's boyfriend who loves anything Oreo. The base is cookie and cream cheese and I just add in whatever the recipient likes; M&M's, Skor Bits, nuts or in this case, chopped Oreo Thins.

MB_8776.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

After seeing mention of the Paul A Young brownies a few posts back I wondered if I'd ever got round to making them myself. It turns out I hadn't. So...

ChocolateBrownie(Young).thumb.png.7d8fefaea7a2a51dbf61007e0b4539fb.png

I think I pulled it a couple of minutes too early, but better under than over, huh?

Anyway, they were very good. So add another recommendation to the long list of plaudits. 👍

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Tell me what your brownie tastes like compared to brownies we all have had numerous times before.

It looks quite different to me so I was just curious.

Edited by oli (log)