• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

10 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Is there a thread on Christmas baking somewhere that I'm not seeing?  I was hoping to see some discussion of Bûches de Noël and croquembouches.

Here is one, and there are various others scattered throughout with different titles. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Here is one, and there are various others scattered throughout with different titles. 

If you search under 2018 and 2019 Holiday Cooking and Baking, you should find what you are looking for. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

If you search under 2018 and 2019 Holiday Cooking and Baking, you should find what you are looking for. 

Did buches de noel fall out of fashion after 2019, and I'm being terribly out of date by making one?  🤔

6 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Did buches de noel fall out of fashion after 2019, and I'm being terribly out of date by making one?  🤔

I think they are appreciated esp if you make them very forest like with the meringue mushrooms. A classic. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CookBot said:

They were still in style last year, though updated somewhat from what we consider a traditional yule log. My guess is they are being bought rather than made.
Here.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

They were still in style last year, though updated somewhat from what we consider a traditional yule log. My guess is they are being bought rather than made.
Here.

No doubt.

I understand any cook's desire to innovate, and I have no objections to modernism, but I'm afraid that something like this just isn't going to satisfy my buche craving:

nadege.jpg

https://www.tastetoronto.com/guides/the-best-yule-logs-in-toronto

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

No doubt.

I understand any cook's desire to innovate, and I have no objections to modernism, but I'm afraid that something like this just isn't going to satisfy my buche craving:

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20221217T231550Z

https://www.tastetoronto.com/guides/the-best-yule-logs-in-toronto

How about some pictures when you get it done.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

How about some pictures when you get it done.

I can actually show you now, since it's going to be a duplicate of the one I made last year.  Almond dacquoise sponge, espresso buttercream filling, ganache icing.

BucheDeNoel.mine.2019.21.JPG

I went bonkers with the meringue mushrooms on that one because I was so happy with a new technique I'd just learned from Stella Parks (Bravetart).

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

Soft, chewy, or crunchy. I'd prefer the latter.

I know no one will believe me, but I haven't tested.  Two dozen are patiently waiting for me in the cookie jar.  Maybe after dinner.

Last time I made these cookies they were suitably crunchy -- as they are supposed to be.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped at Ellis Bros. Pecans in South Georgia on the way back from Orlando. 
Made some pralines, but the nuts are so big they were hard to scoop. Taste really good though.  

AD074171-E9DF-4181-B01F-708066E37559.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Quick birthday cake for my Aunt's 81st. They all love just white almond cake, so that's what they got. It was supposed to be multicolored, but I think some of my coloring has gone bad. So, just fuschia (what the bottle said) 🤷‍♀️

EDC236D2-7E48-4D25-8651-91A668F9895B.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

6 hours ago, RWood said:

Quick birthday cake for my Aunt's 81st. They all love just white almond cake, so that's what they got. It was supposed to be multicolored, but I think some of my coloring has gone bad. So, just fuschia (what the bottle said) 🤷‍♀️

EDC236D2-7E48-4D25-8651-91A668F9895B.jpeg

Looks beautiful! Happy Birthday to your aunt.

Which almond cake recipe do you use?

11 hours ago, curls said:

Looks beautiful! Happy Birthday to your aunt.

Which almond cake recipe do you use?

It’s actually a white cake with almond extract. 
If you want an almond layer cake, the golden almond in The Cake Bible is pretty good. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry no pic, but mi esposo made this recipe for a self-saucing cake.  He cut the sugar in the 'sauce' part in half and used regular Hershey's cocoa.  He made this 2 days ago and while the sauce part soaked into the cake, it remains extremely moist and delicious.  

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023485-chocolate-self-saucing-cake

• Like 3

@shain - thank you for posting the recipe.  It looks and sounds like something we'd really like.

Just a cake mix fix up for Mr. Kim to take to work for a staff birthday.  It was a last-minute request, so I went with easy:

1-IMG_1933.jpg.f21e0fc7e1da5afe8647c2ba79cbd05c.jpg

I felt like the glaze was too thick, and it dried very matte – I’m thinking that the addition of a little Karo might keep it shiny.  What do you all think about that?  Slice:

1-20230111_152750.thumb.jpg.a6334cdddd5248dc725ec51bcb507c8f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2