• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

13 hours ago, Elkyfr said:

My little fella is a bit depressed because he is wet and can not see the sun.

image.thumb.png.352fd1dd6935f59947e6b1f2e8942fce.png

Why did you put the poor bunny out in the rain?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why did you put the poor bunny out in the rain?

Little fella lives in London. You know, fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary freaking Poppins... London! 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elkyfr said:

Little fella lives in London. You know, fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary freaking Poppins... London! 😂

London, ON or London, UK?  Sounds more like London, UK...but who can be sure?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

London, ON or London, UK?  Sounds more like London, UK...but who can be sure?

London United Kingdom... famous phrase from film "Snatch", London... Where?

On 3/29/2023 at 2:04 PM, Kim Shook said:

When I'm looking to use up tahini, I sometimes make these tahini and almond cookies from David Lebovitz that were recommended to me years ago by @Darienne.  

Oh no, I PM'd Kim.  You must have gotten that recipe from someone else.   I've never made those cookies.  Never.  

And she replied...laughing...this is the second time I have posted that you recommended that recipe and the second time I've told you that you did.  And here's the proof. 

Whereupon she, once again, posted the link to my original post.  

So I got out my recipe and made them today.  And they are delicious.  Very short.  Love them.

DSC03603.thumb.JPG.54942e9c50563ca79426527264b77aba.JPG All on one pan after baking.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I made cream cheese Danish today, recipe courtesy of Ann_T. I have made this a couple of times a few years ago and decided it would be a nice addition to our Easter brunch. I put a thin layer of seedless raspberry jam under the cream cheese on two of them. One exploded but that is likely due to not pinching it together well enough or over filling. My husband and nephew and I will devour it for dessert tonight none the less. Have stowed the other three in the freezer until this weekend. I will glaze them and add the sliced almonds once they are thawed.

danish_8870.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

I'm loving everything, but especially the stuff from my favorite place in the world - England.  Thanks so much for posting, @Pete Fred and @Elkyfr!  I've saved the flapjack recipes, along with your notes, Pete and I wish I could nibble some of those chocolate ears, Elkyfr!  

1 hour ago, Elkyfr said:

I have made another transparent tin of shortcake strawberries, but this time with chocolate.

Looks remarkably similar to this.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Looks remarkably similar to this.

Yes, I have copied it from Japan, which is only sold in 3 cities... three weeks ago I posted here the copy with white cream in this thread... and this is cream with chocolate... the same dog with another collar...  I do not have patience and I do it quickly, and it does not look so cute.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

Yes, I have copied it from Japan, which is only sold in 3 cities... three weeks ago I posted here the copy with white cream in this thread... and this is cream with chocolate... the same dog with another collar...  I do not have patience and I do it quickly, and it does not look so cute.

I would surely buy that if we could buy it here in the USA.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oli said:

I would surely buy that if we could buy it here in the USA.

It is still a strawberry shortcake, but inside a transparent "cocacola" can... but as I said, I am sure it will cross borders and become popular over time around the world. I would be making and selling it, if I had a store.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

It is still a strawberry shortcake, but inside a transparent "cocacola" can... but as I said, I am sure it will cross borders and become popular over time around the world. I would be making and selling it, if I had a store.

Seems a bit cutesy trendy unless some young influencer promotes it. Where is transparent can sourced and at what cost/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Seems a bit cutesy trendy unless some young influencer promotes it. Where is transparent can sourced and at what cost/

There are videos on youtube of how they buy it in vending machines in Japan, about $8-$10. I bought 10 for £10 on aliexpress... wholesale would be much cheaper. You also need the machine to seal the lid, which they sell for around £700.

I took a Beetroot and Ginger Cake (Ottolenghi) to a small gathering...

BeetrootandGingerCake.thumb.png.f0e95284781edc368d80d69bb8937ef1.png

It's pretty similar to carrot cake but makes a nice change. You can't really tell from the lighting but the colour of the beetroot is quite vibrant (due to adding vitamin C powder to the batter).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

55 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

I think it is the classic rabbit, which before was 100% solid chocolate made with metal moulds.

I am assuming then that you made a hollow rabbit using a poly carbonate mould? 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog