• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

You keep this up and quite a few of us will be moving to Yorkshire!

23 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I agree 100%.

Ahhhh, you'd have trouble finding me.... I now live in France! Mais tout le monde est encore le bienvenu 🙂

(Which reminds me, must go and change my profile info.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, shain said:

Opera cake.

PXL_20230422_143825095.jpg

PXL_20230422_163643919.jpg

I've always wanted to try that. Yours looks delicious!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

With the leftover meringue from the macarons, I made some little nests in anticipation of having a go at a pavlova. Then at the market this morning I spotted some rather good local gariguette strawberries, so I picked up some raspberries and blueberries (supermarket, sadly) and macerated everything with some mint and lime juice. I whipped up a rose mascarpone chantilly, et voilà...

Pavlova.thumb.png.7a63e198d5065f519d5f0992c6278e06.png

I think I got a little carried away with the presentation but, in my defence, I had just come off the back of watching the Coronation, so the red, white and blue gaudiness and ridiculous ostentation seems rather appropriate. God Save the King! 😉

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

With the leftover meringue from the macarons, I made some little nests in anticipation of having a go at a pavlova. Then at the market this morning I spotted some rather good local gariguette strawberries, so I picked up some raspberries and blueberries (supermarket, sadly) and macerated everything with some mint and lime juice. I whipped up a rose mascarpone chantilly, et voilà...

Pavlova.thumb.png.7a63e198d5065f519d5f0992c6278e06.png

I think I got a little carried away with the presentation but, in my defence, I had just come off the back of watching the Coronation, so the red, white and blue gaudiness and ridiculous ostentation seems rather appropriate. God Save the King! 😉

Looks like Eton Mess to me, spoon required. BUT it was tasty right?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

Looks like Eton Mess to me, spoon required. BUT it was tasty right?

Yeah. The strawberries were really very good...

Strawberries.thumb.png.baea5416a5797f09cde497ccf749186d.png

Hmmmm... Eton Mess? It's been a while since I had one of those. That might be tomorrow taken care of. 👍 (Although I don't think I have a sundae glass to do it full justice.)

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

27 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

Hmmmm... Eton Mess? It's been a while since I had one of those. That might be tomorrow taken care of. 👍 (Although I don't think I have a sundae glass to do it full justice.)

A cocktail glass?  On the berries, I find that less than dead ripe ones, halved and sprinkled with sugar can sometimes be more enjoyable than dead ripe. Maybe the slight acidity + sugar is what I like. plus firmer texture - not a super soft fruit lover. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

...I find that less than dead ripe ones...can sometimes be more enjoyable than dead ripe.

Born in strawberry country, I totally agree.    Bright but not dark red is the perfect color for me.    Darker red signals "over the hill", starting to decline.   I will not buy at several farmstands because they pick too late.   Pete's samples look excellent to me, but not an hour older than those.

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

We need a "jealous" button.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I can neither confirm nor deny reports that I had two of these for lunch...

EtonMess.thumb.png.ba2e7a37a06109731f71aa37609e08e9.png

The strawberries were macerated briefly with a sprinkling of sugar and a splash of kirsch (because, hey!, France). I may have to introduce my neighbours to this taste of the old country.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

They sell raw milk in my local supermarket so I was curious to see if it added anything extra to a (orange) créme anglaise. Answer: not that I could tell.

Anyway, that needed using up so I tossed yesterday's surplus berries in the rhubarb syrup from last week, and smashed a couple of macaron shells for texture...

BerriesMacarons.thumb.png.10c1b53076ad862b7dadd0272db0c083.png

It was so good I immediately toasted some flaked almonds and went back for seconds...

BerriesFlakes.thumb.png.38fd4c35379dabd470daf6624b4a0d9b.png

I missed a trick by not adding a couple of segments from the zested orange. Kicking myself about that one. 😒

The only sour note was when turning the plate over after licking it clean...

Plate.thumb.png.749028a1b816547e0e86e7cf6abc3770.png

Oops. That's not aged well.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

They sell raw milk in my local supermarket so I was curious to see if it added anything extra to a (orange) créme anglaise. Answer: not that I could tell.

Anyway, that needed using up so I tossed yesterday's surplus berries in the rhubarb syrup from last week, and smashed a couple of macaron shells for texture...

BerriesMacarons.thumb.png.10c1b53076ad862b7dadd0272db0c083.png

It was so good I immediately toasted some flaked almonds and went back for seconds...

BerriesFlakes.thumb.png.38fd4c35379dabd470daf6624b4a0d9b.png

I missed a trick by not adding a couple of segments from the zested orange. Kicking myself about that one. 😒

The only sour note was when turning the plate over after licking it clean...

Plate.thumb.png.749028a1b816547e0e86e7cf6abc3770.png

Oops. That's not aged well.

I like your re-purposing and creativity and your background landscape. Speaks SPRING. I have a childhood friend in Dordogne. Wish I could visit, and sample your sweets. You have me thinking with the orange + berries combination. 

• Like 3

@Pete Fred

very interesting on th ' raw ' 

aspects of your post.

certainly , successful bureaucracies 

eventually serve the Top most Top 

after all , they got there ?

EU , as I understand it , has a very nice and delicious one

in Brussels ,  very tasty ' canteen '

as , possibly , back then , the NATO command 

Sooo  how has the EU

decimating FR  and , back then , GB raw milk cheese ?

missed your milk ?

you might be OK for a bit.

as I understand it 

the EU  has other concerns 

I think there would be another revolution if Brussels poked their nose into French unpasteurized cheese. “From my cold, dead hands” to borrow a phrase. Most supermarkets carry at least a few, and it’s not unusual for even small towns to have a fromagerie with a wide selection. No doubt the bureaucrats will come one day, but I’ll be waiting with a slice of Tomme de Savoie in one hand and a pitchfork in the other.

One thing I’ve not been able to get my head around is how popular UHT milk is in France. OK, maybe raw milk is a push for a lot of people, but the preference for sterilized over pasteurized is baffling. Similarly with fresh cream; there’s plenty of cultured crème fraîche, but when it comes to pouring cream the vast majority is the nasty UHT stuff with added stabilizers. It’s also next to impossible to get fresh cream above 30% fat, so whipping by hand today’s batch for the Eton Mess was a helluva workout, let me tell ya!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Peoples preferences can be baffling. They "hear" something and it sticks forever in their mind as to what is good or bad. I find whipping egg whites and cream by hand oddly satisfying though I've not done it in a while. Stepmother asked what the fine scratches were in one of my stainless bowks and actully said "I thought you had to use an electric beater". She loves gadgets 

30 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Oh yum, @Elkyfr. Do you have a recipe for that?

There is a video on youtube on how to do it, it is a different technique, but it is not difficult. It is doped with caramelized peanuts and white chocolate, with coconut and pop rocks.

Maybe you can find it with this name "Nutella Peanut Twist Puff Pastry"

• Thanks 1