• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Well. My baby is turning 18 this weekend. She requested "a tall cake".   Because this is a party of epic "I'm turning 18" proportions- with 4 of the 5 kids coming, plus their families, and friends, and extended relatives to celebrate -  decided it had to be a little over the top.  So.....doing an 8 or 9 layer Geode Fault line cake. Her colors are turquoise,  blue, purple..   Got the rock candy. Got the gold dust and vodka to paint the edge of the fault line.   Making a quadruple batch of marshmellow buttercream- because its is just so ethereal and easy to work with. 

Cake flavors are odd.  The child visits our local Bigby shop and gets teeth-aching coffee drinks a couple times a week. So. Turned the vanilla layers into vanilla cappuccino. And the chocolate layers are more along the lines of a mocha.  The filling in the middle of layers will be the caramel macchiatto.   It'll be ....a piece of cake! 😂

Two of her brothers have their birthdays within a seven day period of her birthday. Since they are both going to here, I decided on Friday night, I'd do a checkerboard cake for them- because I miss doing cakes for them . Its been A LONG TIME since they were here for a birthday.  Just for fun.   

So. That is what is I am baking.  Conveniently, the igniter decided to poop out as I was baking the last couple layers. Found out too late. Chickens ate the remnants, resorted to finishing the baking in my chocolate workshop. 

Freeze drying may not really count as baking, but I did make a massive batch of chicken and steak fajita last night.  Ended up with 4 full trays- so that is in the freeze dryer. Hubby did an Aldi run for me while he was on a business trip in Marinettte, WI.   They had a ridiculous (in a good way) price on 3 packs of peppers- so -  there we go.  

• Like 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I took another run at a Tarte Vaudoise using thicker cream...

TarteVaudoise.thumb.png.7b2faa9b68158213b04466a36bcf5732.png

No noticable difference, so that's good to know.

And I was looking for any excuse to use up the syrup left over from poaching the rhubarb last week. One defrosted slice of rhubarb and rosemary cake later...

RhubarbCake.thumb.png.a7dc47dc25076bced3b5066430f30f80.png

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

16 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Well. My baby is turning 18 this weekend. She requested "a tall cake".   Because this is a party of epic "I'm turning 18" proportions- with 4 of the 5 kids coming, plus their families, and friends, and extended relatives to celebrate -  decided it had to be a little over the top.  So.....doing an 8 or 9 layer Geode Fault line cake. Her colors are turquoise,  blue, purple..   Got the rock candy. Got the gold dust and vodka to paint the edge of the fault line.   Making a quadruple batch of marshmellow buttercream- because its is just so ethereal and easy to work with. 

Cake flavors are odd.  The child visits our local Bigby shop and gets teeth-aching coffee drinks a couple times a week. So. Turned the vanilla layers into vanilla cappuccino. And the chocolate layers are more along the lines of a mocha.  The filling in the middle of layers will be the caramel macchiatto.   It'll be ....a piece of cake! 😂

Two of her brothers have their birthdays within a seven day period of her birthday. Since they are both going to here, I decided on Friday night, I'd do a checkerboard cake for them- because I miss doing cakes for them . Its been A LONG TIME since they were here for a birthday.  Just for fun.   

So. That is what is I am baking.  Conveniently, the igniter decided to poop out as I was baking the last couple layers. Found out too late. Chickens ate the remnants, resorted to finishing the baking in my chocolate workshop. 

Freeze drying may not really count as baking, but I did make a massive batch of chicken and steak fajita last night.  Ended up with 4 full trays- so that is in the freeze dryer. Hubby did an Aldi run for me while he was on a business trip in Marinettte, WI.   They had a ridiculous (in a good way) price on 3 packs of peppers- so -  there we go.  

You WILL treat us to images of finished cakes and a cut view? Please please! 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Nice to see you here again, it's been  a while.

• Like 4

One of the two cakes for Saturday, this is the checkerboard cake. Dark Chocolate espresso and vanilla for the cake.  Icing is vanilla marshmallow buttercream with espresso buttercream filling and swirlies. Had a bag of Callebaut chocolate vermicelli- mixed with some gold sugar for a little pizzazz. 

2BD81710-EE73-4EB6-81B1-DD411B4EEBBD.jpeg

BE676D04-ADD2-48E0-995F-7179B91D6217.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

One of the two cakes for Saturday, this is the checkerboard cake. Dark Chocolate espresso and vanilla for the cake.  Icing is vanilla marshmallow buttercream with espresso buttercream filling and swirlies. Had a bag of Callebaut chocolate vermicelli- mixed with some gold sugar for a little pizzazz. 

2BD81710-EE73-4EB6-81B1-DD411B4EEBBD.jpeg

BE676D04-ADD2-48E0-995F-7179B91D6217.jpeg

Gorgeous!  And I am so glad to see you!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

Citrus Cake (orange and lemon) by Yasmin Khan...

CitrusCake.thumb.png.0605a9284db4448039220732e58ddbb2.png

I added some candied orange peel left over from Christmas. It was a pleasant cake and, being a one bowl affair, very easy to make.

I am over run with oranges and did a simple olive oil orange snack cake last week. Love the brightness. But yours is a bit more famcy. What is the white layer on top? Looks thicker than a frosting. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

What is the white layer on top? Looks thicker than a frosting. 

It's actually thinner: a mixture of cream cheese, yoghurt, icing sugar and juice. I feared it was too loose and was gonna slide off when cut, but it was fine. (Recipe here.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, shain said:

Ugly but tasty meringue cookies with hazelnuts, almonds and dark chocolate.

PXL_20230415_162322532.jpg

Grew up with meringue cookies Are the nuts toasted first, and how finey chopped? Must re-visit. The only inclusion I've ever done is chocolate chips and crushed candy canes. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Grew up with meringue cookies Are the nuts toasted first, and how finey chopped? Must re-visit. The only inclusion I've ever done is chocolate chips and crushed candy canes. 

The nuts are toasted. I chopped everything medium fine. You could also do a rough chop.

I liked how they are all shiny off white outside and marbled brown inside. 

Do try, nuts are great in meringue. I also added a touch of almond extract.

There are also cookies combining meringue and shortbread popular in Israel. E.g. https://www.onesarcasticbaker.com/butter-meringue-cookies/ (haven't tried this recipe).

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 6

~ Shai N.

Gluten free pear, chocolate and olive oil cake, a small 6” version of this cake was a result of having only one pear available.  The cake has melted chocolate, cocoa and almond almond flour and is a delicious gluten free cake. The toasted hazelnuts provide a nice crunch and counterpoint to the softened  pears.   Will definitely pick up some more pears to make a larger version. (The cake was adapted from emmaduckworthbakes.com)

IMG_3544.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Additional details (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

I'd never heard of a Dream Bar until yesterday. Luckily I had all the ingredients to hand...

DreamBar.thumb.png.09206dd1af329cd553c149f00e6ee207.png

The recipe was published in a Nebraskan newspaper nearly ninety years ago but seems to be pretty standard. This adaptation used dark brown sugar and walnuts. It was nice, but I felt it needed something else to round it out; I dunno, maybe just a bit more salt. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1