• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Made a few raspberry macarons for mother's day.  I tried out the rosette style, but I'm still not sure about them.  

And then a cream cheese pound cake for lunch with my mom's sisters tomorrow. 

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4080.jpeg

IMG_4081.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

@RWood I sure hate following you. My puny offerings look so, well, puny. I made @Pete Fred's Citrus cake. It was good but I don't think I will be making it again. Just not enough Citrus flavor.

20230510_173359.thumb.jpg.4b6ef8849215989892b099d99c0efe43.jpg

20230511_142524.thumb.jpg.b17a4e146a01bacd1643e5014991b2f3.jpg

I also added some candied orange peel. It beefed it up a little but not enough.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@RWood I sure hate following you. My puny offerings look so, well, puny. I made @Pete Fred's Citrus cake. It was good but I don't think I will be making it again. Just not enough Citrus flavor.

20230510_173359.thumb.jpg.4b6ef8849215989892b099d99c0efe43.jpg

20230511_142524.thumb.jpg.b17a4e146a01bacd1643e5014991b2f3.jpg

I also added some candied orange peel. It beefed it up a little but not enough.

Interesting.  I made it also and we loved it.  Could it have been the oranges you used?   I wasn't crazy about the icing part.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Could it have been the oranges you used? 

It could have been. We don't get good fresh navel oranges here and that's what I had. I'm afraid that I was also comparing it to an orange cake that I had years ago that was just bursting with orange flavor. I'm still searching for that flavor.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It could have been. We don't get good fresh navel oranges here and that's what I had. I'm afraid that I was also comparing it to an orange cake that I had years ago that was just bursting with orange flavor. I'm still searching for that flavor.

I'll echo @Darienne on the orange quality. Navels - not so much on the flavor/tart scale. Also I recently posted about an orange olive oil cake I have made several times. It was nicer than the past ones. I attribute it to the prior oranges having been during the drought. This time they were picked on Easter after our very ample rains. Both the juice and peel oils seemed pumped up. 

• Like 2

I was gifted some chestnut honey so put it to good use in a Steamed Honey Pudding...

IMG_7303.thumb.JPG.aa6ab7a0071661eefdd77c6a0ddfff9b.JPG

IMG_7336.thumb.JPG.6ba69756dcd2f3eb3695ca459671b450.JPG

Served with custard, naturally...

IMG_7320.thumb.JPG.4b9eb23c5c0c8b7c16b840a6a694272f.JPG

(And non of your fancy, egg-thickened creme anglaise, either. Just good old-fashioned Bird's custard powder. As it should be.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

I was gifted some chestnut honey so put it to good use in a Steamed Honey Pudding...

IMG_7303.thumb.JPG.aa6ab7a0071661eefdd77c6a0ddfff9b.JPG

IMG_7336.thumb.JPG.6ba69756dcd2f3eb3695ca459671b450.JPG

Served with custard, naturally...

IMG_7320.thumb.JPG.4b9eb23c5c0c8b7c16b840a6a694272f.JPG

(And non of your fancy, egg-thickened creme anglaise, either. Just good old-fashioned Bird's custard powder. As it should be.)

Did you consider adding chesnut in some way? Some ideas from @David Lebovitz https://www.davidlebovitz.com/chestnut-puree-creme-de-marrons-clement-faugier/

41 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

That looks amazing. I grew up on steamed puddings and Birdseye custard. I could certainly make short work of a serving of this.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

Did you consider adding chesnut in some way?

Chestnut honey is the only chestnut-ty thing that's made me swoon*. I've tried the crèmes de marrons, pâtes de marrons, marrons glacés, Mont-Blancs, and any other 'châtaigne' cake or tart on offer, but never been particularly excited by any of them. Having said that, now you've seeded the thought, I think I'll pick up a tin of Clément Faugier tomorrow and follow Mr Lebovitz's advice to simply pair it with fromage blanc or slather it on toast.

*One of my absolute favourite combos is fresh goats cheese (from Anne-Marie at the market), a baguette tradition, bien cuite (sadly, the bakery which made the best one in town was closed down by the Health Department because of rats!), and a drizzle of chestnut honey (from the bee lady with the missing tooth).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

Chestnut honey is the only chestnut-ty thing that's made me swoon*. I've tried the crèmes de marrons, pâtes de marrons, marrons glacés, Mont-Blancs, and any other 'châtaigne' cake or tart on offer, but never been particularly excited by any of them. Having said that, now you've seeded the thought, I think I'll pick up a tin of Clément Faugier tomorrow and follow Mr Lebovitz's advice to simply pair it with fromage blanc or slather it on toast.

*One of my absolute favourite combos is fresh goats cheese (from Anne-Marie at the market), a baguette tradition, bien cuite (sadly, the bakery which made the best one in town was closed down by the Health Department because of rats!), and a drizzle of chestnut honey (from the bee lady with the missing tooth).

Well rats are everywhere - in US they invaded the Envoronmental Protction Agency in Georgia and the rat experts can't get them out, and New York - bizarre!

Do report back if you find an enjoyable combo. My family kept hives for years and it was interesting to taste the seasonal variations. Honey extraction - a grueling day! 

Happy Baking :)

Reslly appreciate your sweets sharing. 

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I grew up on steamed puddings and Birdseye custard.

Food of the Gods!

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im looking for that powder.

Some French supermarkets stock it, but at a considerable mark up. When friends make trips to the UK, I always have them smuggle some back. 🤫 😏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That looks amazing. I grew up on steamed puddings and Birdseye custard. I could certainly make short work of a serving of this.  

I too grew up on that custard on the other end of provinces but it's been so long ago I'd forgotten about it and made many creme anglaise that many recipes called for.

Do you have a link for a T&T for Steamed Honey Pudding? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oli said:

I too grew up on that custard on the other end of provinces but it's been so long ago I'd forgotten about it and made many creme anglaise that many recipes called for.

Do you have a link for a T&T for Steamed Honey Pudding? 

If you are asking me I have no recipes for steamed puddings. I have never made one but my family made them. (I grew up in the UK). Birdseye custard powder is readily available here even in some supermarkets. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you with a recipe. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

If you are asking me I have no recipes for steamed puddings. I have never made one but my family made them. (I grew up in the UK). Birdseye custard powder is readily available here even in some supermarkets. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you with a recipe. 

Just looking for a T&T recipe for the pudding.

Birdseye is a common commodity in nearly all markets in the US.

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Pete Fred 

A very fine way to cook at it :

' dans le(s) plate  '

Im looking for that powder.

You are looking for Bird's Custard powder?

Can't recall where I was the other day - but saw the absolute largest container of it ever!

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You are looking for Bird's Custard powder?

Can't recall where I was the other day - but saw the absolute largest container of it ever!

No, Bird's eye is a common commodity nearly everywhere

59 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Trinidad & Tobago?

Telephone & Telegraph?

Taste & Technique?

Tanqueray & Tonic?

Travel & Transportation?

Tried my best to look it up! It's an Asian grocery store here!

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Elkyfr said:

Making custard is not complicated, and it does not take much longer than making it from scratch.

Scratch custard doesn't taste the same. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Trinidad & Tobago?

Telephone & Telegraph?

Taste & Technique?

Tanqueray & Tonic?

Travel & Transportation?

Tried and True?

• Like 2