• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I made a Western PA “cookie” called Gobs.  They are supposed to be the size of a Moonpie, but, as I was taking them to a party, I made them much smaller….

their consistency is much more like a cake than a cookie… 

55B99AC8-01A2-4187-87E2-29854C63CF32.thumb.jpeg.a9e17d436d0f2fa00b2e92d9c9186d33.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

• 2 weeks later...

@shainThanks for introducng me to a new product - carob molasses!  I had a huge tree growing up and the smell was quite distinctive. We played with the pods and in the Health Food days it was touted as a healthy replacement for chocolate !?! I had troube imaging it as a molassses like syrup so I looked up. Very enticing and appears readily available to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heidih said:

@shainThanks for introducng me to a new product - carob molasses!  I had a huge tree growing up and the smell was quite distinctive. We played with the pods and in the Health Food days it was touted as a healthy replacement for chocolate !?! I had troube imaging it as a molassses like syrup so I looked up. Very enticing and appears readily available to me.

It's very tasty, it's a bit like date molasses but has earthy notes like chocolate, a bit smokey-woody. It's real good. I like it best spread on toast along with some raw tahini paste. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

20 hours ago, shain said:

Bread pudding with Earl grey, candied orange, candied ginger, maple, nutmeg.

PXL_20230120_185221085.thumb.jpg.b3cc2e35679accc06694ae0261db6fe2.jpg

PXL_20230120_185740592.thumb.jpg.e8c19d648e12d5c3f085cdf12c7ad5fb.jpg

This looks so delicious, is there a recipe you would be willing to share?  I want this for breakfast right now!

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:26 PM, BetD said:

This looks so delicious, is there a recipe you would be willing to share?  I want this for breakfast right now!

200g challah or brioche, cubed

3 large eggs (or 4 small ones)

About 6g earl grey tea (It should be about 3 teaspoons, or 3 bags, I assume)
220ml (1 cup) milk

Apx 40g maple syrup (a little less than 1/4 cup), plus more for serving
Grated nutmeg, generously

Optional: a couple pinches of clove

Candied ginger, candied orange (diced), optional raisins - to taste

Vanilla

A few pinches of salt

Heat the milk and steep the tea for 10 minutes or so, you want a strong extraction.
Filter the leaves.
Mix the milk with the remaining ingredients, and let soak for a short while.
Pour into greased pan.
Spray the top with oil or scatter grated butter.
Bake at 200dC until browned.
Serve with more maple, and/or ice cream (it's not very sweet as is, IMO).

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:05 AM, shain said:

200g challah or brioche, cubed

3 large eggs (or 4 small ones)

About 6g earl grey tea (It should be about 3 teaspoons, or 3 bags, I assume)
220ml (1 cup) milk

Apx 40g maple syrup (a little less than 1/4 cup), plus more for serving
Grated nutmeg, generously

Optional: a couple pinches of clove

Candied ginger, candied orange (diced), optional raising - to taste

Vanilla

A few pinches of salt

Heat the milk and steep the tea for 10 minutes or so, you want a strong extraction.
Filter the leaves.
Mix the milk with the remaining ingredients, and let soak for a short while.
Pour into greased pan.
Spray the top with oil or scatter grated butter.
Bake at 200dC until browned.
Serve with more maple, and/or ice cream (it's not very sweet as is, IMO).

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

22 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Mi esposo made this cake again.  It's fast become our favorite for both taste and easy prep. 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023485-chocolate-self-saucing-cake

selfsauce.jpg

Can't get through to the recipe but it looks great, love a self saucing pudding, going to have to make another one soon. Last time I made one I added orange juice and zest, and pieces of orange flavoured chocolate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a review of a London restaurant that serves unashamedly classic French cuisine, and mention was made of a Tarte Vaudoise. It was a new one on me so I had a trawl through the internet and discovered the version by Swiss chef Frédy Girardet. For all of his Michelin stars and legendary status it’s actually a humble affair, being basically a rustic, cooked-cream tart.

I found a video on facebook of a chef at Troisgros making it. I thought it unusual that the sugar is a layer on the bottom over which thick cream is carefully poured so as not to disturb it too much (he specifically counsels not to mix them). The tart then gets a light sprinkle of cinnamon and is cooked in a hot oven until bubbly and somewhat caramelized.

779946987_TarteVaudoise.thumb.jpeg.13f277c3bc5ea702c4b89fe249bfdefe.jpeg

It was indeed very tasty. Quite sweet from that layer of sugar, but offset by the delightful cooked cream above.

I used double cream but in the video the chef mentions crème double/crème triple and his looks a little thicker than mine. I can imagine that there’s some pretty amazing cream in that part of the world. Next time I might use clotted cream and see how that works out. The pastry was really good, too. Very easy to work with and lightened with yeast.

Looking at other recipes, the cautious non-mixing bit is not necessarily standard. In fact, I think the original direction from Girardet may have been to spread the cream delicately with fingertips. I think that might result in a touch more blending. Another thing to try.

Oh, and there’s also a version where the cream is replaced by white wine. Of course there is. 🙄

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

I can't let the French take all the creamy glory, so here's an individual English Custard Tart that I just wolfed down...

1835313639_CustardTart.thumb.jpeg.2805a1cca557ae2bacb060d91353e6c9.jpeg

And there's also a slice from it's big brother that I made a couple of weeks ago, jazzed up with some Medjool dates...

1130933436_CustardandDateTart.thumb.jpeg.af3916ba5ede2b0775e54f93b3e9959d.jpeg

God Save the King!

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

@Pete Fred 

From the fb video

Vaud cream tart (recipe by Fredy Girardet). Another unforgettable recipe!
For 8 people:
For the dough: 140g of flour, 5g of baking powder, 1 pinch of salt, 1 good pinch of sugar, 60g of softened butter, 0.5 dl of milk.
For the mixture: 100g of sugar, 1 good pinch of flour, 2.5 dl of double cream, cinnamon powder and butter.

Edited by Elkyfr (log)

3 minutes ago, Elkyfr said:

@PETE FRED 

From the fb video

Vaud cream tart (recipe by Fredy Girardet). Another unforgettable recipe!
For 8 people:
For the dough: 140g of flour, 5g of baking powder, 1 pinch of salt, 1 good pinch of sugar, 60g of softened butter, 0.5 dl of milk.
For the mixture: 100g of sugar, 1 good pinch of flour, 2.5 dl of double cream, cinnamon powder and butter.

What is the fat content of your double cream?

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

What is the fat content of your double cream?

In the Uk I use double cream with: Energy 2043kJ, 497kcal Fat 54g of which saturates 33g Carbohydrate 1.7g of which sugars 1.7g Fibre 0g Protein 1.6g Salt 0.06g

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TdeV said:

Oooh, @Pete Fred, a recipe please!

Sure.

Fully bake a sweet tart shell.
Warm the custard* to 55°C.
Fill shell and dust generously with freshly grated nutmeg.
Cook in very low oven (90°C) until barely set.

You can see some useful pointers here, although they temper the egg (yolks) with hot cream, whereas I prefer to warm the custard in a bain-marie or pan.

*Custard 1 L (enough for a 20 x 3.5 cm tart)

330g whole egg; 140g caster sugar; 530g cream (35-50% fat)
Whisk egg and sugar. Stir in cream. Pass through fine sieve and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Remove foam from surface.

• Thanks 1

IMG_5250.thumb.jpeg.508a55f74f8f1beaf967e38275757aa0.jpeg

This the Powdered Donut Cake from Snacking Cakes: Simple Treats for Anytime Cravings by Yossy Arefi 

There is a tiny sliver left. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5250.thumb.jpeg.508a55f74f8f1beaf967e38275757aa0.jpeg

This the Powdered Donut Cake from Snacking Cakes: Simple Treats for Anytime Cravings by Yossy Arefi 

There is a tiny sliver left. 

What I like about her recipes, at least the ones I've made so far, is that the recipes can be halved and baked in a smaller pan.  Perfect portion for the two of us.

• Like 3

@Pete Fred, your tarts look amazing.  Love cream fillings. 

@Kerry Beal, a powdered donut cake.  Definitely have to make this.

167781943_DateandNutloafFebruary14th20232.thumb.jpg.1d6e516df3fe2103649223c81c888e79.jpg

I had a craving for Date and Nut loaf.
835873028_DateandNutloafFebruary14th2023.thumb.jpg.4e8694db8ffb0c502c5aca5f7cf9edcd.jpg

And I like it spread with a little cream cheese. Which I don't have, but will pick up tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5