• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

They aren't fully mature yet, but certainly edible.  They were very sweet and tender.  Aren't they cute???

Yeah, I think they look great — much better than some that are now half the size of an average head of cabbage!!!! WTF??? I'm not sure the hell they're thinking in that regard!!!!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

19 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Is that the model with the Flex Duo oven? I wrote a few articles about those for Samsung.com.

Yes. It can be used as one big oven or two separate ovens. I had a dual fuel double oven that I absolutely loved, but the touch pad had a history of going out, which was what happened to mine, so I chose to replace, rather than repair. I recently put in a propane fired stand-by generator, which balked at running everything in the house at once, so I opted to line out the electric ovens. As part of that process, I bought my own 150 gal propane tanks, which cut my propane price in half, so when the range died, I decided to go with all gas so that in the event of a power outage, I would have it all . It remains to be seen how well this works out.

HC

• Like 1

Taco night!

I made pico de gallo, guacamole and warmed store bought tortilla chips to precede tacos. I froze some on sale ground chuck into four ounce hamburger patties and used one of them for the taco meat. I fried it up with white onion and jalapeno. It made three tacos, with all the veggie and cheese toppings I piled in, which was perfect. I put a little sour cream on the first one, as I like to heat and assemble them as eaten. It was so messy to eat, though, that I figured it wasn't worth it for the subsequent ones. So no leftovers today, which is also perfect, as I'm inadvertently drowning myself in them. I'm learning, though.

Although I can make corn tortillas from masaca, I used the crispy store bought ones today, also warmed in the oven. Sometimes, that is just what I want. Other times for some stupid reason, I crave Taco Bell original crispy tacos. :)

• Like 12

> ^ . . ^ <

It is really going to get cold. So I did a final cleanup of the garden and pulled a lot of stuff out.

I discovered there were still some root vegetables I had left behind the last time I cleaned up.

Beets, carrots, daikon, watermelon radishes, etc for dinner.

dcarch

Roasted chicken

roasted chicken root veggies 2.jpgroasted chicken root veggies.jpg

Roasted pork carrots

roasted pork garden carrots 3.jpgroasted pork garden carrots 2.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 20

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

First meal from the new oven, a slight learning curve. Baked haddock, asparagus and a baked potato all cooked in the same oven. Not bad, but the timing will improve.

HC

I've got stove envy!

Another favourite comfort food. Picked up dried octopus and lotus root when we were in the big city last weekend.

Lotus root soup with re-hydrated octopus and pork breast bones. It's actually for tomorrow
                    Lotus Root Octopus Soup0005.jpg

Tonight, we had Bitter Melon and Beef in Black Bean Garlic Sauce - eaten with Jasmine rice.

Bitter Melon 0004.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

31360281812_70b7472ed9.jpg

Local (South Shore, Long Island) line-caught black sea bass. J. Kenji López-Alt's best ever roasted potatoes. (These really came out great - using duck fat.) Charred broccoli.

• Like 17

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 hours ago, Dejah said:

Tonight, we had Bitter Melon and Beef in Black Bean Garlic Sauce - eaten with Jasmine rice.

Reminded and Inspired by this, which I read on the coach home, tonight I made a variation.

dinner1.jpg

Pork with bitter melon and spicy black bean sauce (with lots of garlic). Also, served with Jasmine (Hom Mali) rice.

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ronnie came home with some ducks yesterday.  I already had chicken thawed out, so no duck was eaten except for the livers and hearts :) Oh and I also did some chicken gizzards.  All were fried and then pressure cooked.

PC071370.JPG

PC031358.JPG

PC071371.JPG

• Like 14

The local market had CAB boneless chuck on sale, so it's time for another beef stew:  Chuck, carrots, potato, parsnips, peas, celery, onion, barley and some dried porcini.  Made it in the slow cooker.  Served with rye toast.

stew-rye.jpg

• Like 19

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

New hair-do, pedicure, massage, supper and now, off to see Dr. Strange! It's been a good day...

Supper: Fajita with the works...

Fajita0006.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

First attempt at Sous Vide and huuuge cookie fail.  I am usually the last one on the block to try new technology stuff, especially in the kitchen.  When I do, I wonder why I waited so long.  Black Friday online sales made this Anova thing too good to pass.  This was SV Chicken Fried Steak.  It was perfectly cooked. Maybe TOO perfect. It felt strange to bite into a piece of meat that was exactly the same texture through and through.  And then the breading fell off while it was browning in the skillet.  I am sure there is a learning curve and I have learned some things already to make the next one better, but the first attempt was not impressive.

Then there was a tape on line on how to make leg lamp cookies. It used store bought cookie dough and store bought icing. It looked easy. It wasn't.  The cookies went in the oven all nicely leg shaped and came out as a bunch of blobs.  I re-cut a few and tried to ice them.  Total fail with the icing too. Maybe I got the wrong kind. It globed up and didn't spread and the yellow icing didn't cover like it was supposed to.

DSCN3877.jpg

DSCN3879.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13

@Norm Matthews

You still get an A for effort from me.  I saw those cookies but couldn't imagine trying to make them. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried two recpies by Kenji from Serious Eats.
The first is a recent recipe for roasted potatoes, promised to be very crisp thanks to boiling with baking soda.
I sticked to my usual seasoning of cumin, paprika, chili and turmeric (he calls for garlic and rosemary, but that's a flavor combo I usually use for small baked new potatoes).

It was very tasty, and crisp when straight out of the oven, but not much crisper than the recipe I've been using until now (an older recipe by him, but using vinegar instead of soda).

20161209_152333.jpg20161209_152429.jpg

The second recipe is for crisp king oyster mushrooms, with bacon-like flavoring. It was also tasty, but felt more like a snack, slightly like potato chips, but also a little chewy, and very light.

20161209_145815.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

I tried two recpies by Kenji from Serious Eats.
The first is a recent recipe for roasted potatoes, promised to be very crisp thanks to boiling with baking soda.
I sticked to my usual seasoning of cumin, paprika, chili and turmeric (he calls for garlic and rosemary, but that's a flavor combo I usually use for small baked new potatoes).

It was very tasty, and crisp when straight out of the oven, but not much crisper than the recipe I've been using until now (an older recipe by him, but using vinegar instead of soda).

20161209_152333.jpg20161209_152429.jpg

By coincidence last night I too tried Kenji's baking soda roast potatoes for the first time.  I was pleased.

Thanks for saving me from having to post a picture!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This kimchi pancake. image.jpeg

Two things.  I probably have not eaten watercress for almost 60 years.  It was a large part of my childhood but until very recently I have never seen it available here. I was quite startled by the taste.  And the second thing: for those of us who are intimidated by the idea of flipping a pancake onto a dinner plate before sliding back into the pan, try flipping it onto a flat pan lid.  Much easier because you now have the pan lid handle to hang onto rather than a potentially slippery and breakable dinner plate.  Of course if you are an accomplished pancake flipper you don't need any help from me.  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We had SV strip steaks tonight. They turned out better than dinner last night but it was too cold to get a good char on them with the gas grill outside.

PS the baked potatoes were not on the table yet. 

DSCN3881.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9

22 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Then there was a tape on line on how to make leg lamp cookies. It used store bought cookie dough and store bought icing. It looked easy. It wasn't.  The cookies went in the oven all nicely leg shaped and came out as a bunch of blobs.  I re-cut a few and tried to ice them.  Total fail with the icing too. Maybe I got the wrong kind. It globed up and didn't spread and the yellow icing didn't cover like it was supposed to.

DSCN3877.jpg

Obviously from Italy....fragile.......

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites