• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thighs cut in half lengthwise, dredged in seasoned flour, dipped in egg then coated in a combination of panko, Parmesan and dried oregano. Melt some butter on sheet tray in a 425F degree oven, lay chicken strips in the butter  and bake for about 10 minutes. Flip them over and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer. 

I'm going to do this.  Might add some of the cowboy candy (candied jalapeño) syrup......

• Like 1

I made a simple and surprisingly good salad for dinner tonight. It was just green leaf lettuce with a couple small chopped McIntosh apples. I dressed it lightly with a vinaigrette with apple cider vinegar, canola oil, pomegranate molasses and salt. That was it, but the dressing was bright, tart and sure woke up your taste buds. There's citric acid in the pomegranate molasses.

This was followed with warm samoon bread sandwiches. I cooked bacon and removed it to drain on paper towels and poured off all but about a tsp. of the fat. Then I added mushrooms and sauteed them in that skillet while I cooked scrambled eggs in another in butter. When the eggs were almost done, I added some chopped pepper jack cheese, and a thin sliced jalapeno pepper to my half. When the cheese was melted, I stuffed the eggs into the pockets I had cut in the bread. We stuffed the bacon strips in after biting off the end of the sandwich.

My husband hadn't mentioned anything about it before, but went on about he'd been craving eggs when I told him what I'd planned for dinner. He was also very pleased with the salad, and he's not a salad guy. I will have to remember that one. 

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Beef tenderloin filet grilled

Filet Dinner October 28th, 2016 2.jpg

and served

Filet Dinner October 28th, 2016.jpg

with cauliflower in individual casseroles, green beans, mushrooms and Parisienne potatoes.

Dejah,   I made a version of your no pasta mac and cheese.   I realized that it was similar to the cauliflower gratin I usually make using Parmesan cheese.  I heated up a cup of cream, with cream cheese and seasoned with fresh minced garlic clove, dijon mustard, old cheddar, salt, and pepper.  Topped with more grated cheddar.    Thank you.  It was delicious. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 23

47 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Beef tenderloin filet grilled

and served

Filet Dinner October 28th, 2016.jpg

with cauliflower in individual casseroles, green beans, mushrooms and Parisienne potatoes.

Dejah,   I made a version of your no pasta mac and cheese.   I realized that it was similar to the cauliflower gratin I usually make using Parmesan cheese.  I heated up a cup of cream, with cream cheese and seasoned with fresh minced garlic clove, dijon mustard, old cheddar, salt, and pepper.  Topped with more grated cheddar.    Thank you.  It was delicious. 

Oh MY! Beautiful tenderloin! And I like the idea of individual casseroles. I have 3 oval ones but can't seem to find them. Have a good reason now to go searching.

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Superstore had Phillips Crab Claw meat (227g) on sale at $7.98, so I stockpiled for crab cakes for when the kids come out in a couple of weeks.

Tried making low-carb crab cakes tonight - ones with "breading" and the other naked. The naked ones are better.

Cut up 2 large purple top turnips, steamed until slightly softened, coated the " fries" with low-carb breading and deep fried them. Not fries but a suitable substitute.

I had picked up a bottle of Toasted sesame/ ginger sprinkles, and it was good on the fries. Used sriracha mayo for dip.
                                  Crab Cakes & Turnip Fries0009.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Zucchini charred on a lightly oiled pan until browned in spots but still very crisp. Flavored with zaatar, lemon zest, lemon juice, sumac, parsley and black pepper. Below it (hard to see) a briefly cooked chunky tomato sauce with plenty garlic, some anise seeds and zaatar. A chunk of crisp rice tahdig with coriander seeds. Tart labneh.

20161028_143625.jpg

• Like 13

~ Shai N.

Three mushroom beef.

saturday.jpg

Matsutake, cepes and button mushrooms. Beef marinated in Shaoxing wine, garlic, fermented black beans, "white" chilli and soy sauce. All stir-fried together. Finished with scallions.

Served with rice and wilted lettuce with oyster sauce.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This week's dinners (when I remembered to take a picture! :) )

Monday: a grilled ribeye with an insane cap (about 1/2 the size of the steak), baby potatoes (cooked in the pressure cooker), oven-roasted eggplant.

Grilled ribeye steak, baby potatoes (cooked in the pressure cooker), oven-roasted eggplant

Wednesday: grilled lamb loin chops with chimichurri sauce (April Bloomfield's recipe), baked carrots with thyme, cumin and vermouth (Jamie Oliver; the dry vermouth was substituted for white wine), smashed potatoes with herbes de Provence.

Grilled lamb loin chops with chimichurri sauce (April Bloomfield's recipe), baked carrots with thyme, cumin and vermouth (Jamie Oliver), smashed potatoes

Friday: a traditional quiche Lorraine (Anne Willan) served with a red leaf lettuce salad.

Quiche Lorraine

• Like 22

8 hours ago, shain said:

Zucchini charred on a lightly oiled pan until browned in spots but still very crisp. Flavored with zaatar, lemon zest, lemon juice, sumac, parsley and black pepper. Below it (hard to see) a briefly cooked chunky tomato sauce with plenty garlic, some anise seeds and zaatar. A chunk of crisp rice tahdig with coriander seeds. Tart labneh.

20161028_143625.jpg

Oooo....crisp rice tahdig...

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My trusted fishmonger Jane was moved from Pentagon City Harris Teeter to another location to improve their fish department.  Now buying fish at our Harris Teeter is like playing Russian roulette.  Nobody knows (or will tell me) if the fish is fresh, previously frozen, when it came in, etc.. But something magical happened yesterday.  I stopped at Clarendon Whole Foods and met David.  David grew up in HI and his family is in fish wholesale business.  David knows his fish!  I bought beautiful swordfish belly that I marinated in sweet chili sauce and flash seared over high heat.  Served with spaghetti squash.  Looking forward to halibut cheeks that David promised to set aside for me on Wednesday!

image.jpg

• Like 17

Sometimes things just don't work out like I hoped. I tried a Marcus Samuelsson recipe for fried chicken and it was moist and delicious on the inside but I got the outside a little too well done.  The first batch actually was burnt.  So I made up for it with tacos. 

DSCN3807.jpg

DSCN3811.jpg

• Like 11

Stout-braised lamb shank with red chard, roasted pumpkin, toasted hazelnuts, chanterelles and pumpkin seed vinaigrette. One of the markets I shop at had these gargantuan lamb shanks and they had fresh, wild, WA chanterelles at $7.99 a pound.  The wild mushrooms up here have been booming this year with a bumper crop of morels this past Spring and now skads of chanterelles.  I braised the lamb in Guiness for about 4 1/2 hours.  I do a lot of sauteed red chard in garlic and olive oil.  This time I added some toasted hazelnuts, some chanterelles, and roasted pumpkin. The vinaigrette is an old standby perfect for Fall--apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic, pumpkin puree, ground toasted pumpkin seeds. 

IMG_1274.JPG

• Like 17

Sunday night, heading out for a business trip to Shanghai.

Food in the Cathay Lounge at HK airport is predictable, but good: Pumpkin risotto with scallops, followed by sea bass on buttered peas. Not pictured are two flutes of M&C (cause it's a Sunday night that I can't be at home, so you need to reward yourself) and a very well prepared G&T ...

WP_20161030_18_04_12_Rich.jpg

WP_20161030_18_04_20_Rich.jpg

• Like 16

Used up some bits and pieces last night. Not a really photogenic meal, but very tasty and satisfying! 

IMG_0036.JPG

The last of the Jalapeño Pork Sausage (simmered), Russet Potatoes (peeled, chunked, steamed and squished) topped with butter, salt and black pepper, and a Napa Cabbage Salad (with buttered and browned ramen noodles, slivered almonds and sesame seeds).

• Like 14

John left yesterday for a 12 day cruise (I was supposed to go but chose NOT to)... but after coming home from the shore I made bison and spinach meatballs served with brown rice pasta and a mixed salad with some greens brought back, a faux pad thai with rice vermicelli, shrimp and veg - John got the shrimp and mine was vegetarian. Sent him off to the ship with a small container of Cape Cod Waldorf chicken salad and a turkey sandwich.

I treated myself to some scrambled eggs and turkey sausages for dinner last night and now will go where my taste takes me for the next few days.  I have thawed out some bison and some Italian sausages because I want some sloppy joes(ground meat NOT NJ style) and some sausage gravy with real pasta.  Lots of greens for salads...a butternut squash I want to roast then maybe make a risotto with.  I'm hoping to find some nice looking cauliflower and Brussels sprouts to make a stir fry with and maybe a curry with some local apples.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

16 hours ago, chefmd said:

My trusted fishmonger Jane was moved from Pentagon City Harris Teeter to another location to improve their fish department.  Now buying fish at our Harris Teeter is like playing Russian roulette.  Nobody knows (or will tell me) if the fish is fresh, previously frozen, when it came in, etc.. But something magical happened yesterday.  I stopped at Clarendon Whole Foods and met David.  David grew up in HI and his family is in fish wholesale business.  David knows his fish!  I bought beautiful swordfish belly that I marinated in sweet chili sauce and flash seared over high heat.  Served with spaghetti squash.  Looking forward to halibut cheeks that David promised to set aside for me on Wednesday!

image.jpg

THAT is one beautiful belly which ever way your camera caught it!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Used up some bits and pieces last night. Not a really photogenic meal, but very tasty and satisfying!

The last of the Jalapeño Pork Sausage (simmered), Russet Potatoes (peeled, chunked, steamed and squished) topped with butter, salt and black pepper, and a Napa Cabbage Salad (with buttered and browned ramen noodles, slivered almonds and sesame seeds).

You just reminded me to simmer sausages before browning. Got some Italian hots to use up. Maybe dinner tomorrow with Napa cabbage - like a Hunter's plate.

We were invited out for my brother's birthday supper. I made mini mango cheesecakes with raspberry sauce for dessert.
                                    Mini Mango Cheesecake0005.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 20

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Orzotto (pearled barley, cooked risotto style). With mushrooms (champignons and shimeji), cooked in butter. White part had added cheese, pepper and nutmeg, pink part has a little bit juice and soy sauce.

20161029_200055.jpg

I think I enjoy the barley texture better than regular risotto (very al-dente, yet not hard at all).

• Like 14

~ Shai N.