• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

30010337256_5f7fcd69a3_z.jpg

Open-faced BAT. 

The bacon is a smoked shoulder bacon from Sam's Butcher Shop, in Pennsylvania. It's excellent. I recently bought 10 lbs. of smoked product from Sam, and I have to say, it's all quite good.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Breakfast this morning included an old favorite, blistered shishito peppers and a new and upcoming favorite, crispy fried polenta strips, the perfect foil for my favorite hot sauce.

HC

IMG_2025.JPGIMG_2027.JPG

Fried mush!  Sigh.  I love fried mush.  Grammy used to make that for dinner with okra.  

• Like 3

I used to make one of these smoothies every day before work and decided to make one for old times' sake. 

Tofu, beets, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, flax seeds, oat bran and a little yogurt.  I feel so healthy, it's making me sick!

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Wow ! great ref to Sam's

bookmarked.

They  have a deal for 10 lbs. of your choosing (I got smoked boneless ribs, bacons, and some smoked cheeses) for $65, which I think is a steal.

Shipping adds only $14 for overnight no matter how much you buy.

Good stuff.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

thanks

@weinoo  

I think Ill take them up on that offer in a month or so.

please consider starting a new thread on Sam's and outline what you've gotten and how you've like it.

Im eyeballing some of that smoked sausage.

the offer is here :

http://www.samsbutchershop.com/10-lb-bundle

indeed you mix and match yourself !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Dull?

I think not.

brekkie.jpg

Hard boiled egg with toasted and buttered home made olive bread. Two big mugs of black coffee. Just what the doctor ordered (me not to eat - frankly, I think I'm more healthy than he is).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Strictly speaking this was more of a 4am snack, because I had a migraine yesterday and that throws my schedule all out of whack (I can't eat while I have the headache so I end up eating at odd times once I start feeling better.) But it was tasty - grilled cheese with some leftover cheddar from the deli (so nothing super fancy) and a nicely ripe pear from a local farm. Could've done with a cup of tomato soup too, but we don't have any. Gotta put that on the shopping list. :)

IMG_1353.JPG

• Like 9

Microwaved last of the 18 spicy sausage/spinach/feta frittatas I made on Monday. They are perfect for breakfast and for hubby, his lunch whenever he's hungry.

Eaten with a dab of spicy ketsup for even more zing...

Frittata.jpg

• Like 9

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Labour intense breakfast; mille feuille with deeply caramelised butter puff pastry (made crunchy with sugar and then brûléed on both sides), raspberry crème pâtissière lightened with soft whipped cream, freeze dried raspberry powder and roasted pistachios.

And the aftermath.

IMG_8730.JPG

IMG_8729.JPG

IMG_8731.JPG

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Labour intense breakfast; mille feuille with deeply caramelised butter puff pastry (made crunchy with sugar and then brûléed on both sides), raspberry crème pâtissière lightened with soft whipped cream, freeze dried raspberry powder and roasted pistachios.

And the aftermath.

IMG_8730.JPG

IMG_8729.JPG

IMG_8731.JPG

What time's breakfast?

• Like 6

Breakfast of necessity: The banana was too ripe for Deb's taste (she likes them at the stage when you can drive a car over them without impact), the orange was the last one in the bin and therefore, suspect and I just needed scrapple with hot sauce.

HC

IMG_2062.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Home cured steelhead trout.  The filet was not very thick so only cured it for 2 days and it had lost enough moisture.

With cream cheese, capers, tomato and fresh dill? So nice looking!

That looks incredibly edible, but maybe it's the lighting, because it doesn't look quite like cream cheese.

Also while you're at it, do you mind telling us about the bread? Food obsessed idiots (I) want to know. :)

> ^ . . ^ <

Thanks.  It is cream cheese.  The bread is just a large baguette  I picked up at a road side produce market.  Lightly toasted

This is is too easy to not do as often as you like.   The only thing to measure  2:1  salt to sugar.  Dill went on with the dry rub and fresh dill added after rinsing and desalination.  Because of the thickness and time under salt the water soak was short.  Like 30 min.  

I more often do a wet brine and cold smoke but with this thin filet I just decided to keep it simple and change the flavor profile from Nova lox to gravlax

• Like 1

On 09/10/2016 at 10:17 AM, HungryChris said:

Breakfast of necessity: The banana was too ripe for Deb's taste (she likes them at the stage when you can drive a car over them without impact), the orange was the last one in the bin and therefore, suspect and I just needed scrapple with hot sauce.

HC

I'm with you on that. If it isn't thoroughly leopard-spotted, it isn't ready to eat yet. It's so disappointing to be in the mood for a banana and find 'em all lime-green at the supermarket. 

On the plus side, they're often marked down just when they get to the way I like them. :)

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning