• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

Over on the Deep Run Roots Cookbook thread, I made the Elbow Lick Tomato Sandwich with Smoked Corn Mayo yesterday.  @gfweb suggested using the smoked corn mayo in a chicken salad.  I am planning to thin the mayo with buttermilk and using it to dress a spinach salad with chicken but I figured I'd try using it to make a small batch of chicken salad to test.  Such is the excitement level in my life that I amused myself by fixing two pretty little tasting plates for breakfast.  

Chicken salad with roasted corn mayo on a plate:

IMG_3872.jpg

Same red Cherokee and yellow pineapple tomatoes and pickled red onion as used in yesterday's sandwich.  The chicken salad has celery and red bell pepper for some texture.

Chicken salad with roasted corn mayo sandwich on multigrain toast:

IMG_3876.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 15

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Over on the Deep Run Roots Cookbook thread, I made the Elbow Lick Tomato Sandwich with Smoked Corn Mayo yesterday.  @gfweb suggested using the smoked corn mayo in a chicken salad.  I am planning to thin the mayo with buttermilk and using it to dress a spinach salad with chicken but I figured I'd try using it to make a small batch of chicken salad to test.  Such is the excitement level in my life that I amused myself by fixing two pretty little tasting plates for breakfast.  

Chicken salad with roasted corn mayo on a plate:

IMG_3872.jpg

Same red Cherokee and yellow pineapple tomatoes and pickled red onion as used in yesterday's sandwich.  The chicken salad has celery and red bell pepper for some texture.

Chicken salad with roasted corn mayo sandwich on multigrain toast:

IMG_3876.jpg

Looks fabulous.

Fabulous taste?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Looks fabulous.

Fabulous taste?

Thank you for the suggestion!  It was very good.  I liked the sandwich better than the super drippy tomato version from yesterday and the salad was very good as well.  The smoky flavor from the corn really seemed to diffuse through the mayo after sitting overnight. 

Later today, I went ahead and thinned out some of the smoked corn mayo with some buttermilk and added some more roasted corn to it.  I packaged that up in a "salad kit" with a bag of greens,  sous vide chicken breasts, cut up red bell pepper, red & yellow tomatoes and pickled onions all in individual containers for my cousin, who just had a baby.  That way, they can toss together what they like, when they want it.  Early reviews are good on that.

• Like 6

A lightly toasted rosemary parmesan roll with a slice of prosciutto and some of the watermelon rind pickles from the Deep Run Roots cookbook:

IMG_3882.jpg

A little fresh watermelon on the side.

In the watermelon episode on A Chef's Life, Vivian visits with a local cook whose grandmother cut the rind for her preserves the size of a biscuit and served them with a slice of country ham.  

No biscuits nor country ham in the kitchen here, but I thought I'd give it my best effort.  

• Like 12