• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

Duck legs.  Salt/black pepper, held in the fridge for a day or two; pan-fried; oven-finished.** (Fat decanted off after pan-frying) Shallots, celery, lightly crushed garlic (LOTS), carrots - tossed in pan w/ duck residuals, salting adjusted, water added & simmered down, added to pan w/ duck legs in oven. Simply boiled Klondike Gold potatoes, drizzled w/ duck fat.

** This is an infrequent type of meal for me - I rarely use the oven for cooking.

DSCN3853a_800.jpg

• Like 8

huiray,

I find I have very little success with baking/roasting duck leg. If I open braise duck legs I can produce something almost ethereal but without the liquid of a braise I end up with a very tough piece of meat. After you had pan-seared the leg atvwhat oven temperature and for how long did you roast it. Your meal looks delicious.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

steak tarare:  i was at eataly today and picked up some Piedmont beef.  8.80 a lb.. i bought a half a pound..  $4.20 dude.   

i was torn.. do i attack the beef like i the american french hybrid.. dijon, egg, cornichon, shallot, lemon, parsley, anchovy, worcesterchire sauce, ketchup, capers and whatever else is laying around.. Do i do the piedmont way with lemon, a little raw garlic. (we are avoiding lots of garlic for the baby. and i rubbed some on the bread)  The beef was so clean and i was out of dijon.. so, i added a little whole grain mustard, one salt packed anchovy, a little parsley, a little shallot, a touch of sriracha.. but, it still had that clean beef taste.. i have this really nice lemon olive oil.. it's a sample for our place. we normally wouldn't have something this nice.  but, i poured that over and lightly mixed some in.. It was a perfect touch.. cracked pepper and salt on top.  i mean, i would have that if it was a job but, i normally don't keep the fancy stuff around the house.. a squeeze of lemon and a good olive oil would have normally been the trick. 

16266686790_12479df5cd_z.jpg

picked up a pound of pasta.. it was butternut with the almond cookies in it.. again, i am not a fan of their pasta.. Miss A made a good point.. it was only $9,80 a pound.. you can feed a family of 4 as a small app on that.. so, it's not that expensive and it's super convenient.. but, all their shit is made on machines.. the edges where the pasta closes was a little hard.. the inside slightly too gummy, not stuffed well. the seasoning was not super on point.. it could have used a little more nutmeg or cooking spice.  i add some sugar and lemon to mine that, this wouldn't have been hurt by.   it was good but, it tasted machine made and sort of soulless.. it was good for a quick meal but, ultimately, i would most likely opt for a box pasta even.. all of their stuffed pasta are not overly exciting.  i made a simple sauce with butter and sage. 

16452372031_3a8295b828_z.jpg

a simple flan:

16266426198_e9502277ea_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 5

Tonight I had a French style two egg omelet with grilled Belgian endive, triple cream brie and lime juice (from Bitter).  Actually Bitter calls for lemon juice.  I have lemons, but I had left over lime juice from the peanuts course.  And, besides, I like lime juice.

This was nothing worth a photograph, as I set off the smoke detector when I vaporized the first batch of butter for the omelet.  My ideal of a French omelet is pure uncolored custard.  This one was a little brown although quite acceptable, considering.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The last time I ate at Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ restaurant on Metcalf,  I took my mom there for lunch.  We walked in and were seated immediately.  That was a while ago. Mom has been gone several years.  In the meantime Zagat has rated them the best BBQ restaurant in the country.  Twice in the last two years, after I moved back to Kansas City, I wanted to go there for some special occasion, but the wait-time was a couple hours and they don't take reservations. We went somewhere else both times.  The other day I ordered some Jack Stack on line. It was delivered the next day (almost as fast as waiting in line at the restaurant itself)  Yesterday we had part of it for dinner.  We had beef burnt ends and chopped beef. I made a coleslaw with hot vinaigrette instead of mayo, potato salad and BBQ beans (from a can but doctored a little).  It was good but I suspect that most of the people who rate restaurants on Zagat are from out of town.  I like the ambiance at Fiorella's as much as anything, it must influence the taste of the food :).

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5

Ann – churro waffles sound like heaven!  Thanks for the link.

dcarch – your pork and poultry SB feast looked splendid!

huiray – Oh, how I miss Skyline!  I do my own and it’s good, but I miss being able to sit down to a counter and order it whenever I like.  The little Indiana town we lived in had its own branch and it was within walking distance of our house.

Dinner on Wednesday started with a salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_83578.jpg

Mr. Kim had some grilled chicken w/ hot sauce left over from SB Sunday with sautéed mushrooms:

med_gallery_3331_114_52485.jpg

A friend brought us some baked spaghetti, which became my dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_22510.jpg

Mr. Kim was out last night playing poker, so I had an old favorite – a hybrid which will please no one but me and my mother:

med_gallery_3331_114_9122.jpg

Beans on toast.  American’s won’t like it because…well, it’s beans on toast, which they find an anathema.  And Brits won’t like it because it’s made with pork & beans, not vegetarian.  No matter – it was delicious!

Mr. Kim is off gallivanting again tonight, so I just had eggs and sausage (no picture).

• Like 7

I am so tired I had decided not to fix dinner, but then since I was anovaing a package of nice pork chops, I thought "Oh why not."

One of the pork chops I pan seared, lovely brown crust.  Mashed potato, perfect.  (In my hands they not always are so.)  Tonight's MR came out OK.

What I failed on was the frozen lima beans.  This I do not understand.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The failure was in using Lima beans in any form.

I am so with you on this! Only very few vegetables are on my "Will not eat list". Eggplant tops the list and lima beans are a very close second.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lima beans, peas make me gag (literally). Can't explain it.

Eggplant is OK if small pieces adequately hidden beneath sauce and cheese...or by tomatoes.

Coconut? No thanks. Many nice sweets are ruined by coconut.

An improvised chicken dish last night -- boneless, skinless thighs baked in a sauce made of tomato garlic viniagrette dressing I'd bought from a local restaurant mixed into some plain yogurt, seasoned with some worcestershire and horseradish. It looked rather like Thousand Island dressing when I got through whisking it up. Covered the thighs, baked at 350 for 90 minutes, until they fell apart. Accompanied it with some potato salad. Not half bad. Not photogenic, though, so I didn't take pics.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I hate following Ann.   :raz:

Her photos are always so lovely. 

Kim--That baked sketti looks delicious!

Vegetable soup and turkey sandwiches on homemade buns.  My husband thought the buns were too thick. Sigh.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 12

Some Experiments do not lead to Inner Truths, etc.

This one did lead to enlightenment :  when the 'dish' is a blue-ribbon winner, multi-GoldStar, etc the chance of significant

improvement is very very slight indeed. So why mess with it ?

this is my Award Winning TurkeyMeatLoaf, w some Benton's bacon on to ready to go in the CSB :

TMLScrapple1.jpg

as Ive been rummaging in the downstairs freezer, I turned up several Jones Scrapple, FZ solid.

Im a scrapple fan, and understand many are not, I added an extra egg to the 'mix' along w the

one lbs thawed J.S.   I knew trouble was brewing when I shaped it

it turned out very crumbly, so I put it on toast w Made-at-Home turkey gravy:

ScapleLoaf.jpg

even the green onion on top couldn't help its appearance.  I pulled out some of my Grandmother's

silverware, which Ive included in the pic. Its solid silver, 'european' sized fork, etc.  Tiffany's

125 years old about now.  Solid. 12 piece settings.  It helped a bit.

but it was tasty.  it needs a different name.  and I wasted two fine products to create something

that really doesnt need to exist.

BTW:  in my area the ground turkey is called " Shady Brook Farm "

what turkey wouldn't want to live there ?

its " 97% fat free "  this is not the ground white meat

in this weekends circular(s) there seems now to be a SBF 83 % fat free product.

I sure hope they are not dumbing down their FlagShip stuff.

:blink:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

Haven't made this Braised Chicken with Dates for over a year! Lovely aromas with ginger, garlic,  coriander, sweet paprika, onion, cilantro, and finished with dates, lemon juice, and orange blossom water. I had used chicken thighs. TYaking a page from dcarch, I kept the skin and rendered them into "chips:"! Some were crumbled on top, and the other couple were eaten out of hand. I quartered baby siu choy and fried them in the chicken fat.

Moroccan Chicken&Dates2317.jpg

Last night was liver & onions

Liver&Onion2321.jpg

Tonight was boneless lamb shoulder with beets, peas, and lime rice with brown mustard seeds and fresh curry leaves.

LambShoulderRoast2329.jpg

LambPLated2330.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com