• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

16322839270_c139447da9_z.jpg

Whole, roasted red snapper, about 1.75 lbs.  With potatoes, tomatoes, scallions, dill, green and black olives, olive oil, and white wine. Potatoes didn't brown as much as I'd have liked, probably because the liquid from and around the fish makes it more like a braise. 

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks for the explanations.  In my world, a fuzzy melon is past its prime and destined for the compost pile.  I'm glad I asked!  :laugh:

You are most welcome.

I believe you are traveling around warm climes at the moment.  Including California?  If so I would murmur that it may be an idea to drop by some of the markets you may be around and pick up one or two of these fuzzy squashes/melons/pick-your-term and play around with it.  BTW, I use a potato peeler (the classic type) to de-skin these gourds. Look up recipes on the web for these things, if you are so inclined.  I'm sure you can adapt any number of them that may strike your fancy to your circumstances or desire or imagination or whatever else.

• Like 1

Okanagancook – your Brussels sprouts comment made me laugh, because your feelings about sprouts are my feelings about most vegetables.  The list of the vegetables that I don’t like is so long that I mostly don’t bother to tell folks, I just eat what I’m given and wrap something I like around it.  And of all the vegetables to like, I like sprouts!  Every kids detested veg enemy! 

Stir fry tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_111593.jpg

Beef, snow peas, water chestnuts and onions with a purchased “Korean” stir fry sauce.  Served with an Asian chopped salad kit from Fresh Express.  Someone at our church pot luck brought it and it was very good – Savoy cabbage, carrots, cilantro, sesame ginger dressing, fried noodles and slice almonds among other stuff:

med_gallery_3331_114_165766.jpg

• Like 5

Dinner tonight was a rather simple affair.  We had ordered in Sichuan Food last night.  There was a shrimp dish, a dry pot fish, pea shoots, some cold noodles and a tripe and tendon dish.  My wife was looking forward to eating the leftovers while. my daughter wanted pork chops.  

I went down to defrost pork chops and found out we had none and In fact was defrosting a half of a turkey breast.  I continued defrosting the turkey breast and placed it in a brine for fried sandwiches saturday lunch.  I then decided to grab a really beautiful wild caught salmon filet that my cousin had brought over Christmas Eve.. She brought it over as she had recently purchased it at Whole Foods and was not going to eat it before she left for a trip.  I had taken the filet and tossed it in the freezer back then.. Now, I took it out of the oven, cooked skin side down in butter and oil, basting the top.   Then placed in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes.. During this time I was able to make mashed potatoes.  served with butter and lemon over the potatoes. 

My wife was still trying to put down our newborn so, from the fridge, I took the dry pot fish, the pea shoots and the shrimp and placed them in their take out containers on top of our old cast iron radiator.  the radiator was turned up to 78 degrees so, it was kicking out some hot steam.. it heated the food up perfectly in about 10 minutes.  Maybe better than a microwave.  

• Like 4

Beef with bitter melon, garlic, ginger, chilli flakes and sesame oil to finish. This is it in the wok just before plating.

bkg.jpg

It should have had fermented black beans in there, but like an idiot, I forgot to put them in. The jar is still sitting on the counter looking at me reproachfully. 

Tasted OK without them, though.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sambal Udang.  Adapted from recipe P49 of "Irene's Peranakan Recipes" (Epigram Books).  

Ingredients included a rempah of (soaked) dried red chillies, buah keras (candlenuts), shallots, toasted belacan - all ground together in a mortar & pestle; tamarind juice/slurry (from wet paste), deveined de-shelled large shrimp (wild Atlantic), salt, palm sugar, oil.

Wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) stir-fried w/ garlic.

White rice.

DSCN3917b_800.jpg

DSCN3918b_800.jpg

• Like 4

20150213_174655_zps288daf40.jpg

I'm ill and so is the rest of the family.   I wanted something comforting and decided to make "ants on a stick", well  I took  way too much meat , because my tired brain didn't work .  Oh well  it became more the attack of the ants but it still tasted as I remembered it .    The recipe comes from  a close family   friend , who from age 1- 12 grew up in China, before her father was stationed in Sweden again.  She is  75 years old now and  this was one of  her favourite  Chinese recipe and the only one she taught me.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Last night I made chicken adobo. A Filipino dish using a lot of vinegar in a tomato marinade then braised.

Marinade was cider and white vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and tomatoes. Actually I used left over bread and butter pickle brine that had made because I was out of cider vinegar. The aromatics in the brine played well in the dish

After a long marinade I browned the chicken and then added it back to the adobo to braise. Tangy, sweet and savory. Served over white rice

a89c721d1a24955b13645361a999d237.jpgdacd2a33695ebd3bcb6fff421b65aeba.jpg68bebed0b135bb51e38871fafc654148.jpg15fa09c68ee93938b1f6b13521084eb7.jpg

• Like 8

I love adobo!

Catching up with some meals from past weeks. Lamb kheema, lemon basil chicken, Lidia's marinara, Kenji's 5-ingredient pressure cooker chicken, sautéd leeks (had a few times), and something I whipped up with chicken and snake beans.

kheema_cooking.jpg

kheema.jpg

lemon_basil_chicken.jpg

marinara.jpg

pressure_cooker_stew.jpg

leeks.jpg

chicken_and_snake_beans.jpg

• Like 11

Lovely chicken tetrazzini which took way more time than it should have.  (Maybe it was the zombie?)  Served with broccolini.  After several glasses of M.R. I switched to red wine out of concern for global warming.  Although exactly why I am not so sure, since, as of the time of writing, it is 14 degrees Fahrenheit outside and snowing heavily.  The wind is rattling the windows.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Some recent meals. Squids with green peppercorns. I like Thai food sometimes. Gutted the squid myself, this way I get to keep the tentacles and ink (if there's any of the latter).

iGYAamJYOuyJ3.JPG

I've decided to make Chinese (style) food everyday this week in anticipation of Chinese new year. My other half likes rice more than I do so at least one of us is happy for days (me, rice once a week is enough). Took us 2 hours to eat all this food and could only finish half.

- Scallops with Sichuan black bean sauce with chilies. Cleaned the scallops myself, only had to remove gut sac and digestive tract.

ibq2N4j36f2OEf.JPG

- Steamed turbot with Shaohsing wine, light soy sauce and sesame oil.

iVBT6gLPVcdHK.JPG

- Steamed eggs with roe and preserved turnip bits (as well as the usual wine, soy and sesame sauces.). I left the roe sac whole for this one.

i3KRd0Keahzl.JPG

- Steamed eggs with roe and (Sichuan?) preserved vegs (as well as the usual wine, soy and sesame sauces.)

iDvtkP5A6MbOR.JPG

• Like 5

We eat very little chicken.  If i can't buy it from a small farm, i won't buy it at all. i usually game hen anyway.. but, it's scary to see what happens at a mass chicken facility.  I bought this turkey breast from this Amish Place down in Jersey..  I have a bunch of turkey frozen.  The other day, i defrosted, placed in a brine for a day, then a buttermilk brine for a day.. then sliced then and breaded.   Fried at a low  temp got the thing crispy.. placed on a super small potato bun with sriracha and mayo and some lettuce and onion..  

This thing was so damn good. 

This was the first real thing i ate yesterday.  

16508682446_912baca951.jpg

• Like 9

A variation on pork belly rice congee.

I browned the sliced pork belly (skin on) much more than usual; and used half of a whole plant of salted mui choy (a kind of preserved mustard) (rinsed, soaked, chopped up) plus Jasmine rice, besides the usual stuff.

DSCN3933b_800.jpg

On the way there:

Congee_2015-0214a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

Lovely chicken tetrazzini which took way more time than it should have.  (Maybe it was the zombie?)  Served with broccolini.  After several glasses of M.R. I switched to red wine out of concern for global warming.  Although exactly why I am not so sure, since, as of the time of writing, it is 14 degrees Fahrenheit outside and snowing heavily.  The wind is rattling the windows.

Wow....warm down where you are.

Made cod and shrimp with a creole sauce from a recent Food and Wine magazine and served it with some sautéed green beans and mixed rice.  Chocolate pots du crème for the husband's dessert....MISTAKE!!!  Caffeine kept him awake until 3 am.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh gosh, the food has been looking so great you guys!  Now I'm hungry for eggplant, Hassouni.  My plants didn't make it last summer.  Going to have to rectify that so I can have some homegrown.

It's been quite a week here.  Life should be settling down now (knock on wood) and I'm ready for it to!

Last night I made a prime rib.  The store didn't have bone in so I had to settle for boneless.  It was still very good along with some salt crusted baked taters and salad.  Cherry pie for dessert.

photo.JPG

• Like 11

image.jpg

Sv'd Lamb chops with tiny steamed potatoes that were browned in some butter. My plan was to glaze the potatoes after they was steamed but I could not get the skin off them!

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Butternut squash soup with chopped apples, salad with feta and olives and scallion, sea salt and black pepper biscuits. And wine, of course.

Elaina

Dinner 2:16:15.png

• Like 7

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sv'd Lamb chops with tiny steamed potatoes that were browned in some butter. My plan was to glaze the potatoes after they was steamed but I could not get the skin off them!

I think the potatoes look great as is!

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina