• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

20150201_172012_zpsa2dd3217.jpg

Chinese cashew chicken, well as close as I can get it.  We don't have that much Chinese immigrants  here and the  Chinese restaurants  serve the same food and it is make by a guy from Malaysia, yeah he is the head chef for all  4 Chinese   restaurants and that includes the Mongolian  BBQ.  The Thai food how ever is ace, since we have a lot of Thai women here.

• Like 6

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Various meals.

---------------------------------------

Leftover duck leg & vegetables augmented w/ fresh celery & tossed w/ fedelini [De Cecco].

DSCN3856b_800.jpg

Pan-fried Copper River sockeye salmon (salt & pepper).  Cooked Bineshi wild rice tossed in the pan residues after frying the salmon.  Celery stewed w/ tomatoes (canned), sautéed garlic & shallots.

DSCN3861a_800.jpg

Cantonese-style steamed black sea bass.  White rice.  Kai-choy (芥菜) (large mustard greens) stir-fried w/ garlic.

DSCN3871a_800.jpg

Here's looking at ya.

DSCN3875a_800.jpg

• Like 9

huiray,

Your meals as always look delicious. I am still hoping that you'll answer my question about the duck in post number 53.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

huiray,

I find I have very little success with baking/roasting duck leg. If I open braise duck legs I can produce something almost ethereal but without the liquid of a braise I end up with a very tough piece of meat. After you had pan-seared the leg atvwhat oven temperature and for how long did you roast it. Your meal looks delicious.

It was not a roast-roast.  It was a semi-braise/semi-roast.  Note that I said I added water to the vegetables and cooked it down then added it to the duck legs in the tray that sat in the oven, so there was a certain amount of liquid in the "roasting" tray in which the legs sat.  Oven temp was around 350ºF for about 40 minutes.  Also, I did more than just "pan-sear" the legs, I pan-fried them on both sides in the rendered fat for a bit after they might be considered to be merely "seared", with the heat turned down to low when I was doing that. ( I never said I merely "seared" the legs. You did) The duck meat was not falling-off-the-bone but had a certain toothsomeness to it (but was not tough), which I liked.

Edited by huiray (log)

It was not a roast-roast.  It was a semi-braise/semi-roast.  Note that I said I added water to the vegetables and cooked it down then added it to the duck legs in the tray that sat in the oven, so there was a certain amount of liquid in the "roasting" tray in which the legs sat.  Oven temp was around 350ºF for about 40 minutes.  Also, I did more than just "pan-sear" the legs, I pan-fried them on both sides in the rendered fat for a bit after they might be considered to be merely "seared", with the heat turned down to low when I was doing that. ( I never said I merely "seared" the legs. You did) The duck meat was not falling-off-the-bone but had a certain toothsomeness to it (but was not tough), which I liked.

Thank you.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Mustard greens is something that I love but don't get very often. I like using it in soup with lots of ginger. But, my favourite is when my Mom makes the sweet deep fried dumplings for Chinese New Year, then she stir-fries the mustard greens WITH the dumplings for afternoon snacking. :wub:

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

After my rather disastrous dinner yesterday evening, I had said I would make instant noodles tonight but I really needed to get back in the saddle. With some inspiration from huiray I roasted duck leg, made some crash hot potatoes served with the little lingonberry sauce. This was the first time I managed to get a duck leg that wasn't tough as leather without braising it. I only partly followed huiray's method. I opted for a little white wine in the pan to provide some moisture. The skin stayed very crispy.

image.jpg

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

JoNorvelleWalker – I’ve failed at lima beans before.  Even frozen ones.  I’ve burnt them, cooked them to complete mush and cooked them forever and had the skins never get tender.  The fault was in the beans, not you!  Lima beans are one of the few vegetables that I like. 

Shelby – I adore this baked spaghetti.  This particular friend does NOT share recipes.  She’s given me exactly ONE recipe in the 25 years we’ve known each other :angry: . 

rotuts – I loved your meatloaf that wouldn’t ‘loaf’ story!  For years my ‘meatloaf’ inevitably became Bolognese because it crumbled and wouldn’t ‘loaf’!  Benton’s – always!

We had a potluck at our church today.  I made Taffy Apple Salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_33454.jpg

A recipe from my MIL.  Sort of a trashy version of Waldorf with Cool Whip instead of mayo.  You do make a nice custard with the canned pineapple juice, cornstarch, sugar, vinegar and eggs, though. 

ET Bacon Crescent Rolls:

med_gallery_3331_114_146226.jpg

My version of something I found at another website.  Crescent roll dough spread with a mixture of cream cheese, green onions and Worcestershire sauce and sprinkled with bacon.  Rolled up, brushed with an egg wash and topped with dried onion bits, roasted garlic and poppy seeds.  Both things were very popular – I took three 2-quart containers of the salad and 24 of the rolls to church.  I came home with 1 quart of salad and 2 rolls.  Leftovers for dinner tonight, so I’m posting this here!

• Like 8

One partridge and one pigeon. The poultry stall at the market had only one partridge left...

Brushed with olive oil and browned all sides, together with the garlic. NZ Sav Blanc was next to be added, followed by chopped Moroccan salted lemons, and many big rosemary twigs. The lemons were salty enough I didn't add any seasoning.

Normally I eat this with pasta but this time I had quinoa for a change. Red wine for the other half and white for me (I prefer white with poultry).

ibdqoxCku04g2L.JPG

iHsD8lbQkp7Q6.JPG

• Like 4

Here's the lead up to dinner.  Local chicken smoked with sweetbay and two types of sausage that I prepared about three weeks ago during a sausage marathon (5 types, 45#'s total).  I grilled four links of Toulouse sausage and three links of longaniza.  Dinner was served with a mixed greens salad.  

P1030374r.jpg

• Like 12

Cut up 2 chickens, marinated overnight in citrus slices, juice, oregano, honey, soy sauce, chili pepper. Roasted at 350F for supper last night. We've eaten a lot of roasted cauliflower. so I steamed and mushed it up into "mashed potatoes", topped with grated Parmesan and broiled for a few minutes to get a crust. The veg. were from a package - high fibre ...Unusual mix but did the job - as vegetables, I mean. :wink:

CitrusChicken2339.jpg

A breast slathered with the juice from the pan.

CitrusBreast2344.jpg

CitrusChicken&FibreVeg2343.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Mr. Kim came home from work last night with a recipe that he wanted to try for feta and bacon stuffed chicken breasts.  It turned out very well.  He served it with Brussels sprouts and rice pilaf:

med_gallery_3331_114_74146.jpg

It was from allrecipes.com and was oddly written as a lot of them are at that site.  The first step was to make a sort of marinade/cooking sauce.  The second was to place the chicken breasts in the baking dish and cover with the sauce.  The third step was stuffing the breasts.  Lucky for him, he had me to interpret :wink: .  Mr. Kim has a great palate and is actually better than me at figuring out ingredients in a restaurant dish.  But he is also a very literal cook.  He follows directions precisely.  If a recipe says something will take 30 minutes to cook, out it comes at 30 minutes on the dot!  We’d have eaten raw chicken if it were up to him, because it said that the breasts would be done in 30 minutes.  So we checked the temp at 45 and it was perfect.  Bite:

med_gallery_3331_114_55463.jpg

Definitely a keeper!  

• Like 12

Kim, I 'liked' your dinner but I have to retract the 'like' for the Brussels which are my all time least favourite veggie to the point where should I be admitted to hospital my husband has instructions to list Brussels as an allergy  :raz:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.jpg

Chicken marsala with egg noodles.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Recent meals.

Steamed buns w/ pork, cabbage & shrimp [commercial]. Large mustard greens (kai-choy) stir-fried w/ pork meatballs [commercial] & garlic.

DSCN3878a_600.jpg

DSCN3880a_600.jpg

Pan-fried sliced king oyster mushrooms, pan-fried/loosely scrambled/browned soft tofu slices, scallions. Tai Yee Ma Kar Lui (大姨媽嫁女) in the pan (oil, garlic, soaked dried shrimp, fuzzy squash, cellophane noodles).

DSCN3889a_800.jpg

DSCN3895a_800.jpg

Enoki & bunapi-shimeji myshrooms, sliced wong nga pak (Napa cabbage), chopped scallions & coriander leaves - in chicken broth (2 stewing hens, chopped up; ginger, salt; barest simmer ~6 hrs).  

DSCN3898a_600.jpg

Sliced pork belly (skin on) slow braised (~2-3 hrs) w/ oil, ginger, garlic, fermented bean curd in rice wine w/ chillies (辣椒腐乳) (the liquids were added too), fresh winter bamboo shoots (trimmed, sliced, simmered in salted water for a while before draining & adding to the braise), seasoning adjusted. Pickled Persian cucumbers & scallions w/ toasted sesame seeds. White rice.

DSCN3904a_800.jpg

ETA: Added in the characters for the fermented bean curd.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 9

"Fuzzy squash"? What is that, please, huiray?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

"Fuzzy squash"? What is that, please, huiray?

"Fuzzy squash" is a hairy gourd (it's a gourd, actually, rather than a squash) widely used in some regional Chinese cuisines.  Also known as fuzzy melon, hairy melon, fuzzy gourd, mo kwa/gwa (毛瓜), chit kwa/gwa (節瓜) (simplified: 节瓜).  An old eG thread on this dish.

• Like 1

"Fuzzy squash" is a hairy gourd (it's a gourd, actually, rather than a squash) widely used in some regional Chinese cuisines.  Also known as fuzzy melon, hairy melon, fuzzy gourd, mo kwa/gwa (毛瓜), chit kwa/gwa (節瓜) (simplified: 节瓜).  An old eG thread on this dish.

Fuzzy melon named thus because of the "hairs" on the melon.

Thanks for the explanations.  In my world, a fuzzy melon is past its prime and destined for the compost pile.  I'm glad I asked!  :laugh:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown