• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

I too had a club sandwich. There are these sandwiches called Sloppy Joes. They are not Manwiches or loose meat sandwiches that share the name. These are triple decker deli sandwiches. Turkey, roast beef and corn beef each make a layer between rye breads. There is also some really nice coleslaw thrown in. One sandwich can take a couple of days to eat.

• Like 4

20150120_122642_zps3tccq5qm.JPG

Egg muffins. Four beaten eggs with assorted tag ends of cheese, grated; an avocado, creamed up and beaten in; poured over roasted tomatoes and bacon in muffin tins and baked. The four eggs stretched to fill 12 tins, which I didn't expect, so I have breakfast and/or lunch for a while. 

Had them with a baked sweet potato. I feel so healthy.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

kayb,

I bet they are delicious. I love recipes that use up odds and ends especially of cheeses and I love a grab and go breakfast even if I'm not going anywhere.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

The noodles I wanted yesterday! Not much of a feast for the eyes but I love the contrast of the slippery, Icy cold udon noodles, the salty miso dressing and the tongue-tingling nanami togarishi spice.

image.jpg

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Husband decided to stay home for lunch. We went together shopping and came back with a skirt steak. I roasted some butternut squash , dressed with some austrian pumpkin seeds oil/evoo/vinegar/walnuts,

kimchi, salad and some stock to sip

pranzo21gen.jpeg

pranzo21gen.jpeg

• Like 5

Franci,

I have to say this about the photographs of your lunch. To me this looks so much like real food eaten by real people in a real place and it could easily pass for one of the photographs in a book by either of my current favourite authors, Diana Henry and Nigel Slater. Food without pretension meant to be enjoyed.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci,

I have to say this about the photographs of your lunch. To me this looks so much like real food eaten by real people in a real place and it could easily pass for one of the photographs in a book by either of my current favourite authors, Diana Henry and Nigel Slater. Food without pretension meant to be enjoyed.

image.jpg

Cheese and onion tart inspired by Nigel Slater but I made it my own. Many people say they love to cook with wine and often put it in the food I feel the same about akvavit but usually put it in me which explains the mostly empty glass.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

After the long, long discussion of the nature, origin and correct the preparation of a club sandwich it was only a matter of time.

No fancy toothpicks and because it was a small loaf of bread it did not lend itself to being cut into four perfect triangles.

I am of the opinion though that it should have been served with the chicken on the bottom. Mea culpa.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, that's the tidiest club sandwich I've ever seen. The toothpick that sticks up is very important, whether or not it has a curly top, although yours is so pretty it deserves a fancy toothpick. Nevertheless, the architect of the club determines whether the poultry is ground level or second floor and the up-end of the toothpick pretty much seals the deal, indicating the maker's preference. Personally however I am in favor of turkey on top, so that it is easier for me to simply remove the middle slice of bread and toss it over onto my husband's plate. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that many people reconstruct a club sandwich as soon as it is served.

Clearly the club sandwich will take over any given thread once it gets a claw in the door.

• Like 3

image.jpg

A bowl of roasted orange and yellow carrots tossed with some of this

image.jpg

a surprise gift which I was anxious to sample.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Just downstairs from my apartment is a small Mom and Pop shop which mainly sells beer and cigarettes. They don't sell much but every day host mahjong or card playing sessions from which I am sure they take a cut. Strictly illegal, of course.

The couple who own the place are really nice people.

For the last few days they have been busily preparing for next week's Chinese New Year / Spring Festival. There are a couple of chickens in a cage being fattened up, and they have been soaking glutinous rice and bamboo leaves. When I passed this morning, I picked up a couple of beers and the woman gave me one of the hundreds of zongzi (粽子) she has made.

Unusually, she makes a northern Chinese style rather than the local variety. This means that they are sweet rather than savoury and the wrapping is more pillow shaped than the local tradition of conical wraps.

zongzi1.jpg

zongzi2.jpg

Besides the glutinous rice the filling consists of peanuts, red bean paste and jujubes. The thing is about 5½" long and at its fattest 2½". Half of it made an unexpected and very filling lunch.

zongzi3.jpg

zongzi4.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

liuzhou, did you need to heat that before eating, or was it already cooked?  If you heated it - did you steam it?  What purpose did the leaf wrapping serve?  It looks like it was just a shaper, like a tamale wrapping.  Yes?  No?

It looks like a very nice lagniappe.  I wish I could imagine its flavor and texture. 

...and by the way, gung hay fat choy.  (If you don't know what the heck I mean, I blame my elementary school teachers.   :raz:)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

liuzhou, did you need to heat that before eating, or was it already cooked?  If you heated it - did you steam it?  What purpose did the leaf wrapping serve?  It looks like it was just a shaper, like a tamale wrapping.  Yes?  No?

No, they are usually eaten cold. They are pre-cooked by boiling or steaming. I didn't see her cook them, so I'm not sure which method she used. I will ask her. 

The wrapper shapes and holds the filling, but also imparts a subtle bamboo flavour to the sticky rice.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto