• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

I love everything about this except the metal chopsticks. 

Just a thing I have about them. Reminds me of dental tools.

Doesn't matter that its irrational.

They don't bother me. In fact they are my go to chopsticks.

But I know what you mean. When I took over this apartment 13 years ago, I found the previous occupant had left behind a bunch of bright green plastic chopsticks. I have never used them - the idea grosses me out. No idea why! Even less idea why I haven't binned them.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

similar to many lunches :

Sand.w Jus.jpg

but there was enough jus in the bag for a 'dip or two

jus was delicious   simple steak taste

sirloin 130 x 6    I think the extra 2 hours added to the jus.

can't buy something so delicious 

• Like 3

image.jpg

Rice porridge.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Congee sounds nice. Good for that leftover bit of chicken or whatnot...

Made Cashew Peanut chicken with ginger. Recipe from Cuisine at home magazine (free in the mail). Served over jasmine rice. Out of cashews, sorry...

IMG_20150423_141904.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

Sometimes even less than promising ingredients and an epic fail can still result in a tasty lunch!

This was almost $10 worth of organic asparagus. I was not able to shop for myself so this was chosen by someone else. You really can't complain or ask for a return under such circumstances! Nor on my income can you really just bin it. The lower part of the stems was exceedingly woody so I trimmed it right off and peeled partway up. I tossed in olive oil and some salt and roasted it at 450°F for about 10 minutes. Perfect? By no means. Edible? For sure.

I would love to have someone to blame the failed hollandaise on apart from myself but a tiptoe through my remaining neurons came up empty. It's butter, egg yolk and lemon juice. Thick or thin what is not to like?

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

"""   It's butter, egg yolk and lemon juice  """

same the CSB is still hibernating North does killer yolks no muss no fuss  you then keep the whole egg in the ref rig just use the yolk 

:cool: 

( apologies  ::  I just could not resist  :sad: )

I finally went up to Malden this AM to the train store for a friend

and had lunch  ( of sorts ) at Fuloon.   the secret reason for the trip Id say  

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/02/fuloon-malden-mass-ma-boston-chinese-restaurants-what-to-order.html

had the # 1 ranked item :

Chicken Szechuan Style.jpg

Ive never had better than this :  the chicken had a bare dusting of something, deep fried, w the peppers and GrOnions you see  hot, crispy, w a touch of oil from the dish itself.

indeed best ive ever had.

plenty of red peppers :

JustPeppers.jpg

and some 'take-away' for later, maybe even now :

DanDan

DanDan.jpg

Im glad this is about 45 minutes way  not so bad on a Sat. AM or sunday AM, killer traffic any other time

I have a new iPod w a 5MP camera so am putting it through its paces.  note the blur in the second pic

mighty fine eating is was  I the  DanDan smells delicious, have not yet tried

• Like 4

Cauliflower takes on a rich nutty flavor when roasted or fried. I pan seared the cauliflower in garlic olive oil, then made a hollandaise sauce adding crema mexicana and some old bay seasoning, topped with chives and chive flowers.

DSC_0008.JPG

• Like 4

I finally went up to Malden this AM to the train store for a friend

and had lunch  ( of sorts ) at Fuloon.   the secret reason for the trip Id say  

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/02/fuloon-malden-mass-ma-boston-chinese-restaurants-what-to-order.html

had the # 1 ranked item :

attachicon.gifChicken Szechuan Style.jpg

Ive never had better than this :  the chicken had a bare dusting of something, deep fried, w the peppers and GrOnions you see  hot, crispy, w a touch of oil from the dish itself.

indeed best ive ever had.

plenty of red peppers :

attachicon.gifJustPeppers.jpg

and some 'take-away' for later, maybe even now :

DanDan

attachicon.gifDanDan.jpg

Im glad this is about 45 minutes way  not so bad on a Sat. AM or sunday AM, killer traffic any other time

I have a new iPod w a 5MP camera so am putting it through its paces.  note the blur in the second pic

mighty fine eating is was  I the  DanDan smells delicious, have not yet tried

Great. So happy you'll be able to share photos with us!

My 2004 eG Blog

Cauliflower takes on a rich nutty flavor when roasted or fried. I pan seared the cauliflower in garlic olive oil, then made a hollandaise sauce adding crema mexicana and some old bay seasoning, topped with chives and chive flowers.

attachicon.gifDSC_0008.JPG

Looks and sounds delicious. Have added it to my "must try" list. As meat climbs the price ladder and becomes almost out of reach imaginative vegetable-based meals take on new meaning in this tiny household. (Excluding questionable asparagus!)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN,

My last attempt at hollandaise was during a dinner party many years ago. I can make it no problem, but it's a dedicated task. I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off as usual, everyone else enjoying beverages and otherwise being useless. I asked my brother to stir while I had a very short bathroom call of nature. When I got back the sauce was broken, and brother was my biggest detractor, recommending Knorr Swiss from the packet.  :angry:

Ever since then I make deconstructed asparagus with hollandaise: over (very) easy eggs cooked in excess butter to drizzle, over cooked asparagus with fresh deseeded lemon wedges to spritz. I would venture that it's actually a superior dish, and doesn't require the extreme focus of traditional hollandaise.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I do the blender hollandaise method.  Sometimes it works and sometimes (like the last time) it inexplicably fails.  But, like Anna said, even runny it tastes good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blender-hollandaise-sauce/

I do the blender hollandaise method.  Sometimes it works and sometimes (like the last time) it inexplicably fails.  But, like Anna said, even runny it tastes good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blender-hollandaise-sauce/

Shelby,

I tried the "fool-proof" immersion blender version from Serious Eats!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Wanted to make sure I didn't waste any of my expensive if imperfect asparagus. Had a little bit of roasted chicken left and a few baby portobello mushrooms. Tossed with some fettucine, butter and grated Parmesan, it made a satisfactory lunch.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Chicken wings from the freezer (leftover from a Chinese takeout). No doubt these needed the Cuisinart steam oven (CSO) to do them justice but the Breville XL using the reheat function did stellar duty in the meantime. A freshly baked, still warm dinner roll made a fine accompaniment.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Sometimes I try to eat healthy.  Yesterday, I wanted some vegetable ramen for lunch. So, I prepped a few vegetables. The ramen noodles are from Sun Noodle.

2015_04_28_284.JPG

I also had sliced an onion and some cremini mushrooms, which I was sautéing. When they were cooked down, I added 2 cups of water, a little soy, and that other Kikkoman broth stuff. That simmered for about 15 minutes, then I added the above vegetables, and let it cook for another 5 minutes.

In the meantime, I parboiled the noodles, and stirred up some miso paste with a bit of boiling water. When the vegetables were done, I turned off the heat, added the miso, and poured all over the just-cooked noodles.

2015_04_28_285.JPG 3

It was pretty darn good for ramen at home.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mitch,

I would not have walked away from such a lunch. Will slip this one into my back pocket for the days when I too like to eat healthy.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ham-and-egg salad, something of a combo of egg salad and deviled ham. I used Kentucky country ham left over from dinner the night before, ground up in the food processor.

egg salad.jpg

Earlier in the week, grilled cheese with slaw and some fruit salad, made with grapes, strawberries and fresh mozzarella, with a lemon-honey-red wine vinegar dressing.

grilled cheese n fruit salad.jpg

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Zoodles with shrimp, diced canned tomatoes, garlic, pepper flakes and a little cream.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

"Zoodles". I like that word!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

"Zoodles". I like that word!

Love to claim it but it's been around forever as a name for zucchini "pasta".

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Battered, deep fried cauliflower. Almost Manchurian cauliflower except that I was interrupted and was not able to make the sauce! No real complaints though. Will make a second attempt later today.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog