• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

image.jpg

Baked potato topped with butter, sour cream, onions and crumbled chestnuts (after Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall).

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

And so it begins. Only 10 days now until the annual trek north to Manitoulin Island. This is the time I begin to think about what must be used up. Lunch today was roasted vegetables over couscous drizzled with a little reduced balsamic vinegar.

I seem to have enough carrots to keep generations of Bugs Bunnies happy so will be thinking of ways to use those up.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Salad.jpg

butterhead, tomatoes, 'countertop' green onions, a little TJ's parmesan-ish, grated ginger from Fz, TJ's greek feta

nice.

trying to build up some 'nutrition credit'

Pellet smoker here on Wed.

:biggrin:

• Like 5

image.jpg

Further effort to use things up. A couple of slices of bacon diced and crisped, a few haricot verts, some mushrooms and an egg. I was fascinated with the consistency of the yolk of this simply boiled egg that I had made a couple of days ago and wanted to see if I could repeat it. Apparently it is easily repeatable. It is a large egg simmered for seven minutes exactly and then plunged into ice cold water and shaken around to break the shell.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Was just the tiniest bit of steak left I cobbled together this Thai-inspired salad. The dressing was Red Boat Fish sauce, lime juice, soy sauce and brown sugar to taste.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday we went to Provincetown,  It is our tradition to walk through town and browse all the shops, then go to lunch  and debate what we should buy.  Provincetown has provided a lot of my home decor.  We had lunch at Mac's Provincetown.  I am having a little trouble connecting so might not be able to get all the photos in this post.

Sweet heat margaritas (drinks help with the shopping debate!)

macs sweet heat .jpg

Salmon tartar (niece's hands hovering in background waiting to dig in)

macs salmon tartar.jpg

Stoplight roll

macs stoplight roll.jpg

Tuna poke

macs tuna poke.jpg

Zen roll

macs zen roll.jpg

tuna tataki

macstunatataki.jpg

rangoon roll

mavcs rangoon roll.jpg

Not pictured, my nephew's boring cheeseburger :-)

I ended up buying a triptych painting of an octopus for over my family room TV.  It is pretty cool.

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 5

image.jpg

Baked potato topped with onions and garlic that had been slowly cooked while spiked with a little curry powder (actually homemade garam masala). I threw in some frozen peas, a little butter and then topped with a small scoop of sour cream. Idea originated with River Cottage Veg.

It is proving quite surprising to me how little I miss a meat component when the vegetables pack such a punch of flavour.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

""  when the vegetables pack such a punch of flavour ""

I agree with you completely   

from time to time Ive been  'back then' to small restaurants where the 

'protein'  was beyond this world, but the veg were also astonishing.

Our final Wellfleet lunch for this trip was at Winslow's Tavern.  Cocktails

winsows cocktails.jpg

Butternut squash flatbread

winslows butternut squash pizza.jpg

smoked mussel flatbread

winslows smoked mussel pizza.jpg

scallop roll

winslows scallop roll.jpg

crabcake

winslows crabcake.jpg

apricot clafouti

winslows apricot clafouti.jpg

chocolate mousse

winslows chocolate mousse.jpg

My husband and I are now in Chatham for a couple of days.  Not sure what will be happening on the lunch front.

• Like 6

A much more typical lunch than the restaurant meals I posted recently. Hummus, carrot, arugula, and leftover grilled chicken wrap with some cherries.  Eaten at the credenza behind my desk with a book.  Work meals are not as interesting as vacation ones.

hummus wrap.jpg

• Like 4

I had a glut of mushrooms which were past their prime, but used them, a carrot, a tired leek and some chicken trimmings to make a deeply rich, umami loaded stock.

Used the stock with some more chicken, some fresh shiitake mushrooms and my neighbour's home made ramen noodles. A bit of chili flakes and Chinese chives to finish. Seconds were had.

csr.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sunday we had BLT’s for lunch.  Untoasted and toasted:

med_gallery_3331_114_66386.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_77664.jpg

Discovered after 33 years of marriage that Mr. Kim doesn’t like toast for his BLT.  The things you find out!  Interesting topic, though.  Are there sandwiches that you prefer toasted to untoasted and vice versa?  I go back and forth. 

Served with corn and fries:

med_gallery_3331_114_68343.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_142412.jpg

• Like 4

Lunch today was what is probably my favorite sandwich in the world:

med_gallery_3331_114_107399.jpg

White bread, mayo, American cheese and tomatoes.  I feel like I’ve outed myself. :laugh:

I have to say, the notion of American cheese on a tomato sandwich never occurred to me. I must remedy this. Most likely tomorrow.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Today's lunch was taken in the countryside with a young companion. I had the fried rice noodles (炒粉 - chǎo fěn).

cf2.jpg

Companion went for the wheat noodles (炒面 - chǎo miàn), but otherwise essentially the same dish.

cm.jpg

• Like 4

I take it that fried rice noodles is similar in idea to fried rice but you use rice noodles instead of rice ?

if you cook the noodles first, how do you keep them from sticking while turning them into 'fried?'

interesting idea.  Ill adopt it.

sort of like Singapore Noodles not from Singapore but China ?

I take it that fried rice noodles is similar in idea to fried rice but you use rice noodles instead of rice ?

if you cook the noodles first, how do you keep them from sticking while turning them into 'fried?'

interesting idea.  Ill adopt it.

sort of like Singapore Noodles not from Singapore but China ?

I wouldn't say that fried rice noodles are close to fried rice in any way. They are more close to fried noodles of any kind.

Rice noodles are, by far, the most common in southern China, whereas wheat noodles are more popular in the north (although both can be found everywhere.)

I'm unsure why you think sticking would be a problem. It isn't.

Nor am I sure what Singapore had to do with anything.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Salad made up as I went along: Watermelon, tomato, bacon, grated cheese, white balsamic vinegar, balsamic glaze. Pretty good.

salad0702.JPG

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

rotuts and liuzhou,

My mind was tracking in a similar way to rotuts' when I began reading liuzhou's post about fried rice noodles. I thought, boy that sounds good, noodles added to fried rice like Eastern Rice-A-Roni. But on close examination of his photo I saw no evidence of any rice grains.

When I got to the part about his companion's dish of wheat noodles it dawned on me that he was referring to fried "rice-noodles", not "fried-rice" noodles. I almost commented on it, laughing at myself, but decided to keep quiet in my ignorance. :blush: Glad I'm not the only one.

It's silly because I have access to rice, bean thread :wub: , soba and other noodles galore at my Asian market, an entire long aisle lined with various noodles on both sides from floor to much higher than I can reach, very few of which are wheat-based.  But Western brains apparently track usually to wheat first when noodles are mentioned even by someone in China.  :laugh:

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

rotuts and liuzhou,

My mind was tracking in a similar way to rotuts' when I began reading liuzhou's post about fried rice noodles. I thought, boy that sounds good, noodles added to fried rice like Eastern Rice-A-Roni. But on close examination of his photo I saw no evidence of any rice grains.

When I got to the part about his companion's dish of wheat noodles it dawned on me that he was referring to fried "rice-noodles", not "fried-rice" noodles. I almost commented on it, laughing at myself, but decided to keep quiet in my ignorance. :blush: Glad I'm not the only one.

It's silly because I have access to rice, bean thread :wub: , soba and other noodles galore at my Asian market, an entire long aisle lined with various noodles on both sides from floor to much higher than I can reach, very few of which are wheat-based.  But Western brains apparently track usually to wheat first when noodles are mentioned even by someone in China.  :laugh:

Thanks for the Crepes, here are some recent examples I've posted of fried rice noodles that I made.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150604-dinner-2015-part-1/page-13?p=2009872#entry2009872

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150604-dinner-2015-part-1/page-16?p=2010443#entry2010443

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150922-dinner-2015-part-2/page-7?p=2013788#entry2013788 (scroll down)

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151304-dinner-2015-part-3/page-19?p=2021761#entry2021761

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151304-dinner-2015-part-3/page-18?p=2021417#entry2021417 (scroll down)

ETA2: If you have ever had "pan-fried mei fun" in a sort of Cantonese-like (for example) dish with various ingredients and an underlying layer of sauce you have also had "fried rice noodles".

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

ETA2: If you have ever had "pan-fried mei fun" in a sort of Cantonese-like (for example) dish with various ingredients and an underlying layer of sauce you have also had "fried rice noodles".

I forgot to say that if you have had some version of "chow mei fun" or "chow hor fun" or "chow kway teow" (and equivalent transliterations) from a restaurant or take-out place in the USA, for example, you have had "fried rice noodles".  (the preceding terms are Cantonese)  Or, some dish such as "pan-fried mai fun/mei fun" (etc) or "pan-fried bee hoon [the Hokkien term: bee hoon = mai fun in Cantonese] and so on.  Frequently the pan-fried stuff (where the noodles are browned and made sort-of crispy, at least in part) could also be termed "Hong Kong style" in many USAmerican "Chinese" restaurants or take-outs.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1