• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

image.jpg

Japanese style tricolor rice with beef soboro (seasoned with dark soy), scrambled egg and some peas.

Here's how I cooked the frozen peas

image.jpg

After the rice cooker announced it had accomplished its allotted task I added the peas in a silicone basket, closed the lid and waited two or three minutes.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What is it with the pea hate around here?!!!

lunch for me and will be Johnnybird's dinner IF he gets home is some comfort food for  a snowy day:

turkey meatloaf

baked sweet and Idaho potatoes

steamed broccoli

salad of red leaf lettuce and red onion

also made some cinnamon buns for him for tomorrow

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

re: peas

not that I know anything ....

were the peas Frozen ?

if so, try this  :

get a large enough container, and dump the FZ peas in that w some lightly salted cold water

sounds complicated but its not

you just want to thaw them   cold.

then you put the not not so FZ peas in a Pyrex measuring cup with tap water and micro them until they suit you

just saying   I do this with TJ's FZ peas then add them to rice in the Fuzzy Rice Cooker after the

rice has Fuzzied Out and been fluffed

re: peas

not that I know anything ....

were the peas Frozen ?

if so, try this  :

get a large enough container, and dump the FZ peas in that w some lightly salted cold water

sounds complicated but its not

you just want to thaw them   cold.

then you put the not not so FZ peas in a Pyrex measuring cup with tap water and micro them until they suit you

just saying   I do this with TJ's FZ peas then add them to rice in the Fuzzy Rice Cooker after the

rice has Fuzzied Out and been fluffed

Makes sense except I didn't want them mixed up with the rice in my rice cooker as I needed to put them on top of the rice. And it didn't make sense to use the microwave when the rice cooker still had so much residual heat available.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_20150226_093405.jpgIMG_20150226_093652.jpgIMG_20150226_093934.jpg

Today I made empanadas, chicken and pork and had a couple for lunch.

The chicken empanada is made with rotisserie chicken roasted tomatillos, roasted poblano's, roasted onions and then I put in roasted pumpkin seeds, cream cheese and smoked jack cheese and cilantro.

I make the pork with homemade ancho chili sauce with cumin, a little cinnamon, nutmeg and a couple of chipotle peppers. Chicken stock and some smoked jack cheese.

• Like 12

image.jpg

Gussied up instant noodles.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

16063987484_8954f84bf8_z.jpg

Chicken scarpariello, sautéed assorted greens (kale, spinach, chard, beet greens)  topped with some of the peppers and onions from the scarpariello, and focaccia with potatoes, which could have been a little browner, but I was worried about burning the bottom.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

image.jpg

Not sure if this will end up being a late lunch or an early dinner. Udon noodles with shiitake mushrooms, ginger, shallot, scallions and spinach.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today was taking during a shopping trip.

laoyoufen.jpg

老友粉 lǎo yǒu fěn - literally Old Friend Rice Noodles

These are a specialty of the city of Nanning in southern China, just down the road from me.

"Of course, you are going to ask why the dish is called “Old Friend Noodles”. As with many Chinese dishes there is a story behind the name. In fact, there is usually a choice of different stories. But I've heard this story pretty consistently. 

It seems that some time ago there was a man who became sick and lost his appetite. His friends and doctors urged him to eat to keep up his strength to aid his recovery, but to no avail. Finally, one of his oldest friends, a chef, prepared him a bowl of noodles. As soon as he smelled the dish, he perked up, finished the lot and went on to make a full recovery. Or so they say."

from my blog.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lunch today was taking during a shopping trip.

laoyoufen.jpg

老友粉 lǎo yǒu fěn - literally Old Friend Rice Noodles

These are a specialty of the city of Nanning in southern China, just down the road from me.

"Of course, you are going to ask why the dish is called “Old Friend Noodles”. As with many Chinese dishes there is a story behind the name. In fact, there is usually a choice of different stories. But I've heard this story pretty consistently. 

It seems that some time ago there was a man who became sick and lost his appetite. His friends and doctors urged him to eat to keep up his strength to aid his recovery, but to no avail. Finally, one of his oldest friends, a chef, prepared him a bowl of noodles. As soon as he smelled the dish, he perked up, finished the lot and went on to make a full recovery. Or so they say."

from my blog.

Lovely!  And, I am happy you got a new camera.  I'm sorry some jerk stole your other one :(

• Like 1

Grilled avocado with eggs and smoked bacon.

i1Ya5srEhtcfP.JPG

This shot has the bread that was in the oven together with the avocados. I put them in shortly before the bread was done. Regrettably, I was preoccupied with something else for a moment too long and the eggs were not as soft as I would have liked. A reminder for next time.

ibjIqT3eLEA67c.JPG

• Like 2