• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

Soooooooooo

What's that Block of Delicious Goodness ?

It's an invention supposedly created by the indentured labourers from India brought into South Africa. It's essentially a hollowed out quarter of a loaf of bread, which is then filled with curry and enjoyed with sambals and/or pickled carrots. Most popular is the mutton bunny, lamb bunny, and chicken curry bunny. Also popular with vegetable curries.

It's an invention supposedly created by the indentured labourers from India brought into South Africa. It's essentially a hollowed out quarter of a loaf of bread, which is then filled with curry and enjoyed with sambals and/or pickled carrots. Most popular is the mutton bunny, lamb bunny, and chicken curry bunny. Also popular with vegetable curries.

I so want one of these. Was it you Rantz that first made mention of them on this forum? I know it is quite recent that I learned about them.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, I took a trip to the nearby city of Guilin to meet up with an old friend.

Lunchtime  we decided to go gor "Oil Tea" (油茶).

This is a popualr item among the ethnic minorities in this part of China. THe Dong and Miao, particularly.

It isn't really tea, as susch, but more of a soup. Each participant is given a plate of popped rice, peanuts and rice flour balls.

DSC05048%20%28Large%29.jpg

These are placed in a bowl and the'tea' is added to make a kind of soup. The tea does contain tea. It is black tea which has been boiled then the leaves left to dry in the sun. These are then fried in oil with ginger and salt then water is added and the mixture brought to a boil.

DSC05052%20%28Large%29.jpg

It is considered polite to partake of two bowls of the tea.

This was accompanied or followed by some vegetarian dishes.

DSC05053%20%28Large%29.jpg

Fried Noodles w Carrot, Baby Bamboo Shoots etc

DSC05054%20%28Large%29.jpg

Lotus Root

DSC05056%20%28Large%29.jpg

Dried Tofu Skin with Veg

DSC05057%20%28Large%29.jpg

Egg Pie

Then this plate of non-vegetarian deep fried battered local river fish turned up. It went so quickly, I barely had time to take the picture before they were all gone.

DSC05061%20%28Large%29.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I so want one of these. Was it you Rantz that first made mention of them on this forum? I know it is quite recent that I learned about them.

I think someone mentioned it on the  Cape Dutch South African thread, but I don't think they went into much detail, so I'm guessing someone else mentioned it...

20150404_115035_zpsmwqtqyoo.jpg

Easter lunch, with  onion peel tie dyed eggs

20150404_122538_zpsyhtjj8qm.jpg

And this is what happens when the egg cracks while cooking, pretty isnt it?

• Like 8

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Easy  to make too,  just wrap an egg in  yellow or red or garlic peel ( dry hard paper kind) and then in foil, cook for 2 more minutes then you normally would. Yellow onion, gives the strongest colour, red a milder and  garlic can in  leave purple stripes, green specks and  grey marble.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Udon noodle bowl with smoked duck breast.

Edited to fix typo

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

LIUZHOU   can you tell me more about the egg pie?  It looks intriguing.

RANZ         I want that lamb curry bunny chow, too!!!!

I is still freaking drizzling and cool here so I pulled out a pint of wild mushroom and onion soup before I went out this morning.  Stopped at a local Italian bakery on the way home and bought a small roll.  Lunch was the soup, garlic roll and a mixed salad with some yellow tomatoes, quick pickled red onion and a simple vinaigrette.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ill put these under Lunch but its more of a slow afternoon-early evening infusion.  My dentist is in Boston, so I try to make a pass

in Chinatown.  I used to work across the street from Chinatown, and knew all the good places :

BBQ Pork Buns.jpg

Eldo Cake House  BBQ or Roast Pork Buns

CharSui SingaporeNoodles.jpg

CharSui and Singapore Noodles.  the noodles come from Yo Yen Ting  ( close enough )  the downstairs

version, and the CharSui from right next door,  NameLess, but also downstairs

the noodles are much better than they look.  I thought of getting a double order of Salted and Spiced

Squid at  YoYenTIng, but it was a raw day and I wanted to get home

:sad:

Edited by Smithy
Problem report addressed (log)
  • Like 6

LIUZHOU   can you tell me more about the egg pie?  It looks intriguing.

It was like a puffy omelet or frittata, stuffed with green vegetation.and cooked till set quite firmly, but stillsoft enough to tear off lumps with your chopsticks.

Today's lunch was largely liquid (a friend's birthday), but acccompanied by these critters.

piaoxiangcuigu3.jpg.

In Chinese they are 飘香脆骨 (piāo xiāng cuì gú) which literaly translates as "fluttering fragrant gristle". Sounds appetizing!

The pieces of pork gristle are in a very hot chili sauce. A specialty of western Hunan province. Very morish.

piaoxiangcuigu2.jpg

There is aslo a cumin flavoured alternative, but were all heat lovers.

• Like 2

Last night, I was preparing my modest dinner repast when my cell phone rang.

"Hey we are having dinner at Bing Bong Bang restaurant. Come join us."

It was a better offer, so off I went.

However I had already fired up the rice cooker and you can't uncook rice so that was left to do its thing.

Lunch today was, of course, fried rice. Some garlic, leeks, Xuanwei ham, red and green chillies, S+P. Oh! And rice!

ham%20fried%20rice.jpg

ham%20fried%20rice2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

Inspired by patrickamory in the dinner topic, here is my interpretation of David Tanis' Spring Chicken Soba Noodle Soup.

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Romain Lettuce leaf with a bed of celery root remoulade, micro greens from my greenhouse topped with baby shrimp and a little hot sauce.  Nice and fresh tasting.  Not as difficult to eat as hard shell tacos  :raz:.  There were two of them, after one was eaten, I realized I should take a picture.

DSC00795.JPG

• Like 5

It is 36ºC/96.80ºF here today. So lunch was served at room temperature. But that doesn't mean it wasn't hot. It was not hot in heat terms, but was sure hot in spice terms.

Known as 腊肉香干 (là ròu xiāng gān), it is cured and smoked pork belly with smoked dried tofu in a very spicy, oily chilli sauce. Another vrey typical Hunanese speciality - smoke and heat. We ate it with rice today, but it is often just eaten as a snack.

larouxianggan1.jpg

larouxianggan2.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

A stir-fry of ground pork, frozen vegetables and Chinese egg noodles.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

You may remember some instant pho packets I had in a pic on another thread...

Anyway I was cleaning house and realized it was 1:30pm and hadn't eaten in six hours. In a hurry compounded by hunger pains and thinking it'll be sixish minutes before being ready an executive decision was made.

Nuke 400ml water for three minutes. Meanwhile dump the rice noodles and seasoning packets into the bowl. In a fit of pique I added the oil which is unusual for me. As I squeezed it onto the noodles and seasoning the realization dawned that the soup packets were about 5 years old and that the oil was probably gonna be real nasty!

That oil was so rancid the noodles were inedible with the first skeptical bite. There was nothing in me to hurl...  :wacko:  Can't believe I even wasted my time!

I made the second old packet after quickly dumping the first down the disposal. Left the oil out. Not good but kept me until the evening and that stuff is out of my pantry for good.  :laugh:

• Like 1

image.jpg

Rice, frozen corn and peas tossed with miso butter and topped with store-bought smoked duck breast.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

It is 36ºC/96.80ºF here today. So lunch was served at room temperature. But that doesn't mean it wasn't hot. It was not hot in heat terms, but was sure hot in spice terms.

Known as 腊肉香干 (là ròu xiāng gān), it is cured and smoked pork belly with smoked dried tofu in a very spicy, oily chilli sauce. Another vrey typical Hunanese speciality - smoke and heat. We ate it with rice today, but it is often just eaten as a snack.

larouxianggan1.jpg

larouxianggan2.jpg

I love everything about this except the metal chopsticks. 

Just a thing I have about them. Reminds me of dental tools.

Doesn't matter that its irrational.

• Like 2