• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

image.jpg

Leftover duck breast with lingonberry sauce and Cashel blue washed down with some ice cold Jubileum.

Edited to change horse with washed. No idea how it can get my dictation so wrong!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Im assuming the Jubileum is akvavit

I do like the glass a lot !

Yes, unfortunately. It is the only Akvavit available in Ontario. The glass was a promotion with Taffel akvavit just before it was taken off the Canadian market. I have two of them and to me they are chockablock full of memories.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Roasted cauliflower spiked with Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Today is Family Day in Ontario and a holiday for most of us. Cheese and onion of any ilk is hugely nostalgic and family-centric for me. This pushed all the right buttons.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, love the onion/cheese combo.  I do a similar breakfast:  split open a pita bread; grate your favourite cheese all over; onions can be added now or after; broil until the cheese is bubbling and starting to go brown.  Delicious combo of crispy-gooey-oniony.

Well it is Shrove Tuesday today and both  our countries has different traditions  but we can combine them!

So lunch today was pancakes  ( the UK side of things)   and we had dessert  a semla ( the Swedish side ).

How ever we only took a picture of the Semla, a semla is a bun filled with almond paste and topped with whipped cream and a dusting icing sugar ( which had none of, so pretend please).

20150217_124044_zps9f3c24e6.jpg

I had it the old fashion way with hot milk.

20150217_123609_zpsc043b8d4.jpg

My husband had it the modern way. Oh we found out why breads rise weirdly in my kitchen, we have a weird cold draft that lays a thin blanket of cold air on our kitchen table, so the top of breads  rise faster then the bottoms.

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

those look delicious, AnnaN

have you considered a little mustard , dijon or not, under the cheese ?

I do that all the time for a Welsh Rarebit clone.  never thought of the onion, so thanks for that tip

Mustard might take it to a whole other realm but would kill its raison d'etre - nostalgia.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, love the onion/cheese combo.  I do a similar breakfast:  split open a pita bread; grate your favourite cheese all over; onions can be added now or after; broil until the cheese is bubbling and starting to go brown.  Delicious combo of crispy-gooey-oniony.

Sounds like my kind of food. But my favorite is still what I grew up with. Sharp cheese, sharp onion both put through a meat grinder and spread between two slices of white bread. We owned a pub and this was pub food long before gastro pubs took over.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Today- Brunch was Ochazuke topped with a plain omelet

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I had this overwhelming urge to eat egg salad.  So I made it.  Now I don't want it lol.  Sigh.  

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Understand totally.....sometimes the muscle movement of making and the sensory component of smelling overwhelms the wanting.  Your brain actually is telling you that you have already eaten it...at leas this has been my experience.  This is why many times when I am getting ready to do some serious cooking I stop some place and have a bowl of soup.  As long as I haven't handled/created the food my brain doesn't tell me I have already eaten.

Yesterday a salad and half of a toasted honey ham and provolone picante sandwich.  Oh...and 2 snack sized milky ways cut into thirds.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

a Good Egg Salad, on fresh, but 'mushy' bread. white is best, but W.W. is OK if it makes you fell better ...   :huh:

can soothe the soul.  

however. its a bit of as pain to make :  boil the eggs, peel the eggs   :huh:   :blink:  ( this being the rate limiting step ) etc

however, years ago I developed this technique.  Ill share it Freely w eG'ers :

get a non stick pan med heat w a little grapeseed or non-flavored neutral oil  no canola please

crack the # of eggs you want for the total # os sandwiches to be made  right then

gently combine the eggs a little just to break the yolks up a bit.  

gently cook in that pre-heated pan  ( gently  ) until just set

let cool a bit, but while still warm mix in your favorite Mayo so that it ends up like traditional

'egg salad'  add while warm what every you like in E.S.

no celery please.

inhale while still a bit warm

fresh mush-ey bread makes this.  you have to smell the freshness of the bread and the

mush-eyness add to the mouth feel.

Enjoy.

takes 2 - 3 minutes if you are good with your hands

and BTW  no peeling of HB eggs !

:biggrin:

• Like 6

well, just remember, you dont have to have the above warm

you can let it cool

:cool:

BTW  if you try this, Id like your thoughts

Im guessing it might be improved

based on your own tastes

maybe in May

when the snow melts and the roof's might still be there

BTW ever heard of a CaCl Roof Sock ?

Im making these tomorrow in Bulk

Not Sur-le-Plate

but Sur-le-Roof !!!

Edited by rotuts (log)

a Good Egg Salad, on fresh, but 'mushy' bread. white is best, but W.W. is OK if it makes you fell better ...   :huh:

can soothe the soul.  

however. its a bit of as pain to make :  boil the eggs, peel the eggs   :huh:   :blink:  ( this being the rate limiting step ) etc

however, years ago I developed this technique.  Ill share it Freely w eG'ers :

get a non stick pan med heat w a little grapeseed or non-flavored neutral oil  no canola please

crack the # of eggs you want for the total # os sandwiches to be made  right then

gently combine the eggs a little just to break the yolks up a bit.  

gently cook in that pre-heated pan  ( gently  ) until just set

let cool a bit, but while still warm mix in your favorite Mayo so that it ends up like traditional

'egg salad'  add while warm what every you like in E.S.

no celery please.

inhale while still a bit warm

fresh mush-ey bread makes this.  you have to smell the freshness of the bread and the

mush-eyness add to the mouth feel.

Enjoy.

takes 2 - 3 minutes if you are good with your hands

and BTW  no peeling of HB eggs !

:biggrin:

I've done this countless times since the 1980s...but I don't break the yolk.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

image.jpg

Pork chop with spinach gomae.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pork chop with spinach gomae.

It looks delicious...and it's on another gorgeous plate! That looks very 1960's, maybe early 1970's to me. Dansk?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It looks delicious...and it's on another gorgeous plate! That looks very 1960's, maybe early 1970's to me. Dansk?

Thank you.

Bought new definitely within the last 10 years from a Japanese tableware store but it is made in China.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Miso soup and a Japanese style salad.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog