• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

And not all MLs translate well to a bread wrapper.

A fatty ML is gross when cold.

And ML needs stronger flavor so it doesn't get  lost in  the sandwich app.

Unless one adds Russian D.

And too much ML is a sandwich is like too much liverwurst. Just too much.

I've had to debulk some deli ML sandwiches

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

no deli truly understand ML.

Unless they have a 'Cafe' area where you can get that same ML

with " All the Usual '  Hot.

Q.E.D.

they are just grinding up stuff no one else wants to buy.

These are the Meat Loaf Rules :

You Love it Hot

you will love it Cold.

re: Fatty

that's also called Pate.

Pate is not MeatLoaf

maybe a French-ey  lost Uncle ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

Salad bowl of mostly spiralized vegetables with a ginger miso dressing.

image.jpg

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

BTW  BKE, maybe the issue w ML as a "FIrst Dinner, then Sandwich"  not being Stellar in 

your case  might be traced back to those carrots.  They weaseled their way somehow

into the Loaf, when they should have been waiting patiently on the plate as a "Side"

just saying.  Constructively.

:huh:

• Like 1

Haunted by leftover cheese sauce in my refrigerator and not willing to go the usual route of cauliflower with cheese sauce, I baked a couple of onions. I topped them with some of the cheese sauce, put them under the broiler briefly and dusted them with nutmeg.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I too had a club sandwich. There are these sandwiches called Sloppy Joes. They are not Manwiches or loose meat sandwiches that share the name. These are triple decker deli sandwiches. Turkey, roast beef and corn beef each make a layer between rye breads. There is also some really nice coleslaw thrown in. One sandwich can take a couple of days to eat.

• Like 2

For lunch yesterday I had a club sandwich. At least that's how I remember it.

I only wish! I could have made a loaf of bread and some mayo .....

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice.  I dont keep cream, and not always milk.

I get Silver Goat from TJ's   I use say 1/2 " / person, and then add a little water to get to consistency of

heavy cream.  I use that as the Goat cheese seems to keep for a while.

it also has enough fat in it if you are careful with the water to no split w a small wine reduction ( acid )

but you better like 'tart'

your dish gave me an idea :

why not use Phil.del. cream cheese ?  not tart.  I used to use this a very long time ago,

but well, It Was Said :  " What sort of experiments are you doing now in the refrigerator? "

but that was before the internet and the Vacuum Sealer

Ill get a packet of the Cr.Ch. and vacuum it up so that as I take out an in or two, there will be enough

bag left for a Re-Seal  and Ill freeze it.

I do the bag/reseal all the time for butter  ( 6 sticks / bag ) frozen, and plenty of room for a re-seal

Ive also done the same thing with my green coffee beans from Sweet Maria's

those I do not freeze.

many thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

gfweb:  Is that your home made pasta?  I agree about just the right amount of sauce! 

I've got some leftover pasta from making the 15 egg yolk batch....looks like lunch with some shredded duck leg confit mixed with some camembert that is due to be used up.  Lentil soup before hand, just to feel healthy.

• Like 1

15 egg yolk batch sounds very Piedmontese.  i make pasta dough quiet a bit.  i add some eggs and some olive oil. On special occasions when I am trying to make Tajarin or a regional pasta, I will use certain amounts of egg whites, or all egg whites, or all yolks,  or water, or whatever is called for.. But, my normal, everyday recipe for ravioli, or regular pasta is fairly straight forward.. i don't like to have wasted or leftover egg whites though, ideally a few more yolks without the whites is best.  i keep a little finger bowl of water on the counter that I can just dip my fingers in.  Spray bottle is a good idea if you have a spray bottle.. Last I saw that thing, it was being used as a cat training device.

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 1

Lunch the last couple of days:

Finally used the Xmas turkey carcass, added celery stalks and leaves, carrots, lemongrass, and ground pepper, . There was lots of meat bits left, so no crackers or thickening required.

TurkeyVegSoup2018.jpg

Seems like I'm clearing out Xmas leftovers from the freezer! Cantonese BBQ duck, a small container of the included bean sauce, shrimp, kaffir lime leaves, gai lang and Romaine lettuce which had been languishing in the bottom drawer, chicken stock and shirataki noodles...a hearty lunch :wink:

DuckShiratakiNoodleSoup2022.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpg

So I still had one roasted onion left in the fridge and a little more cheese sauce. Chopped up the onion, topped it with some cheese sauce, reheated in the microwave and then sprinkled Japanese seasoning. This is just a small ramekin but there is enough umami to make a very satisfying lunch.

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow

""  Japanese seasoning ""

may I ask about that ?

Click

http://www.amazon.com/Nanami-Togarashi-Assorted-Chili-Pepper/dp/B0002YGSA0

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog