• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

image.jpg

Bubble and squeak topped with a fried egg. Perhaps emblematic of my resolutions for the New Year which include a closer examination of my British food roots.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I also use " no boil '

\

do you have " Ronzoni "

your area ?

better i think.

Ill ref an early Test Kitchen show on 'Italian' lasagna  your way

Killer

even for some real Italian i made it for a long time ago

my fathers students.

after all, they had their Degrees  .......

tasty

image.jpg

Like Paul Bacino I can never make my noodle dishes look as organized and appetizing as huiray's. But I keep trying.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

My freezer provided this very thin piece of beef steak which I sous vided it for an hour and then seared. I like to use my locking tongs to support it while I sear the fatty edge.

image.jpg

It looks like a lot of steak for one person but was quite small and I served it on some bread to catch the juices.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

A few lunches !!  Latey  ( nothing special  )

Salad Lunch;

1 inch radial cut Tanimura Artisan Romaine lettuce-Feta's greek dressiang ( Local ) Mezzetta Pepperoncini, grape tomato, Lotus root

Finished with a Valdeon Blue ( cow/Goat )  wrapped in a sycamore leaf  ( love this Blue )  a tad of Edelweiss Emmentaler

IMG_7775.JPG

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 3

Its good to have Morels

This is a lighter lunch too

Spice chicken broth ( pressure cooker made )-- Shirataki Yam Noodles , Gai Lan ( Chinese Brocc ), Lotus Root, chicken,  extra firm tofu marinated in Hoisin

IMG_7776.JPG

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 3

Its good to have Morels

Most of these lunches are a post holiday use up!!

So again nothing special:

This was my braised pork shoulder in red sauce, basic bun, romaine lettuce, ( my home-made Pickles ) onion with emmentaler red pepper topper-  Lay's wavy  :cool:

IMG_7785.JPG

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

gfweb – lovely looking turkey salad!

We had some friends and my mother in for lunch after church this Sunday.  I made my mother’s vegetable soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_6930.jpg

And the most amazingly delicious cheese toast I’ve ever tasted:

med_gallery_3331_114_93913.jpg

I was looking for a special cheese toast to serve with the fairly ordinary vegetable soup.  I wanted something that would elevate the everyday soup and this recipe did it. The recipe itself is very good, but the Cheddar that I used was what really made the difference. I found Montgomery’s Cheddar from Manor Farm in Somerset, UK at Southern Season. This is one of the best cheeses I’ve ever had. Truly remarkable and set this cheese toast apart from any I’ve ever made. I made the cheese mixture the day ahead of time and just let it come to room temperature before spreading on the bread. We had a couple of pieces left over and I toasted one and made a sandwich with some good ham – incredible.

I do not know why this always happens to me when I make vegetable soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_149175.jpg

See the stock pot on the right?  That’s what I started my soup in.  Somehow in getting all the vegetables even and getting it liquid enough, that one medium stock pot ended up being one stock pot and two Dutch ovens FULL of soup.  We have vegetable soup coming out of our ears.  I’ve forced containers of  it on everyone who has stopped by the house in the last 3 days!  This happens EVERY TIME I make vegetable soup! :wacko:  :laugh:

I find vegetable soup freezes REALLY well!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I am determined to return to some of those things that I have rejected in the past to see if I have changed my mind. Couscous is one of those things.

"Doctored" couscous topped with lamb mince. The couscous was reconstituted in chicken stock and tossed with sun-dried tomatoes, scallions and frozen peas.

image.jpg

Yes, I think I am prepared to give couscous some space in my pantry.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Individual, homemade mushroom quiche with some dressed romaine.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Noodle bowl with leftover steak.

image.jpg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

meatloaf sandwiches. 

just my cold meatloaf with freshly baked rye, from around the corner.  It was super pricey but, such is the price you pay for living in NYC. 

16268288065_d873367cdd_z.jpg

The very last of all the lettuces in the house.  i made a tossed salad last night with the leftover ingredients.  But, it was too much so, before i dressed the salad, i bagged half of it for today and tomorrow.  

16097091109_8c278ec4e4_z.jpg

a healthy schmear of mayo.  the misses also had sriracha on hers. 

I had this whole idea.. i had kept the chive polenta in the fridge.. i was going to buy a baguette or some submarine type bread.  I was going to grill and rub with garlic, then add the polenta and grilled wedges of meatloaf..  i had the frying cheese as a possibility, i have two slices of bacon left, i have this blue chesse, a green sauce, a little leftover spinach sautéed with anchovies, I had options. 

But, instead, i bought a nice rye bread, served the meatloaf cold with mayo and lettuces.   It was still good and took no time at all.  

16283218425_0b650b1b96_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 7

leftover soup and a grilled cheese.. three slices of cheese.  i have a non stick.  put the cheese directly down on the non stick for a moment, then flip and get that side hot.. throw into bread and this way, the cheese is melted on the way through.

16107737240_2feece0a3d_z.jpg

• Like 7

meatloaf sandwiches. 

just my cold meatloaf with freshly baked rye, from around the corner.  It was super pricey but, such is the price you pay for living in NYC. 

16268288065_d873367cdd_z.jpg

The very last of all the lettuces in the house.  i made a tossed salad last night with the leftover ingredients.  But, it was too much so, before i dressed the salad, i bagged half of it for today and tomorrow.  

16097091109_8c278ec4e4_z.jpg

a healthy schmear of mayo.  the misses also had sriracha on hers. 

I had this whole idea.. i had kept the chive polenta in the fridge.. i was going to buy a baguette or some submarine type bread.  I was going to grill and rub with garlic, then add the polenta and grilled wedges of meatloaf..  i had the frying cheese as a possibility, i have two slices of bacon left, i have this blue chesse, a green sauce, a little leftover spinach sautéed with anchovies, I had options. 

But, instead, i bought a nice rye bread, served the meatloaf cold with mayo and lettuces.   It was still good and took no time at all.  

16283218425_0b650b1b96_z.jpg

Cold sandwiches are what all good meatloaf aspire to!

• Like 1

20150116_115139_zps1e68ffca.jpg

My husband and daughter had this for lunch, it is left over chili on a nacho with  cheese and cream fraiche.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Kim, I agree 100 percent!   My mother was at the house a couple of days and expressed the same sentiments.  She said, the only reason why I use to make meatloaf was for the sandwiches.   I had a few slices and was wondering how the leftovers would be in a ravioli but, the sandwiches are too darn good. 

• Like 1

I completely agree that the Meatloaf sandwich is an exceptional benefit built right into making a MeatLoaf.

that's why you alway make a BigMeatLoaf.

however, Thick-Cut Meatloaf ( 2 slices min. ), right out of the oven, w real mashed potatoes and Peas

( I like small canned for this app. ) and killer gravy , some chopped green onion tops .....

Is right up there on the Facia of the Temple to Great Eats.  Next to it is of course the Roast Turkey Open Sandwich Plate.

just sub out the ML, change the gravy to Turkey, get a really good slice of bread  ........

BTW  BKE, maybe the issue w ML as a "FIrst Dinner, then Sandwich"  not being Stellar in 

your case  might be traced back to those carrots.  They weaseled their way somehow

into the Loaf, when they should have been waiting patiently on the plate as a "Side"

just saying.  Constructively.

:huh:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2