• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 1)

paulraphael

I used to obsess about this kind of thing but I don't anymore. Most commercial cryovac bags are polyethylene, so there's not much of an issue. Even if they were one of the nastier BPA containing plastics, the temperature and time on something like fish (or a medium rare steak) isn't high enough to concern me. I assume that if it looks like a SV safe vacuum bag, it probably is a SV save vacuum bag. YMMV.

Yes, I'm totally thinking that the lower temp for fish removes some concerns! Would you thaw first, or just cook from frozen though? And how do you adjust for frozen if it's only small pieces like this? 

And yeah, it's a professional operation - they are using proper materials and tracking their lots and so forth. It looks like a good quality vacuum package. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

For beef, pork, or chicken, I often cook from frozen. For fish, which is more delicate and whose texture can really suffer from enzymatic breakdown, I thaw before cooking. I usually throw it in the fridge a day or two before I think I'm going to cook it. If I'm in a time crunch, I'll thaw it in cold water.

• Like 1

For beef, pork, or chicken, I often cook from frozen. For fish, which is more delicate and whose texture can really suffer from enzymatic breakdown, I thaw before cooking. I usually throw it in the fridge a day or two before I think I'm going to cook it. If I'm in a time crunch, I'll thaw it in cold water.

Thank you! 

Nope. I bought lard and cold smoked it, and then used that to fry like 5 pounds of smoked pork belly. It's basically bacon fat without the salt.

Since this is the SV thread, here's a pic of the pork belly dish, "Bacon, egg, and cheese."

bacon_egg_and_cheese2.jpg

Brined, cold smoked belly cooked 48hrs @ 62C. Chilled, pressed, portioned. Stuffed with Kerrygold cheddar. Topped with 64.3C yolk and Maldon salt.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 6

Yes, I'm totally thinking that the lower temp for fish removes some concerns! Would you thaw first, or just cook from frozen though? And how do you adjust for frozen if it's only small pieces like this? 

And yeah, it's a professional operation - they are using proper materials and tracking their lots and so forth. It looks like a good quality vacuum package.

I read from a shipper of Florida Gulf coast seafood that it's better to open the bag before thawing frozen, commercially vac packed fish. The logic was that the fish is flash frozen without the bag, and then vac packed with high vacuum. If the fish were to defrost with the packaging intact, it may be squeezed and damaged.
  • Like 1

re: cooking in bags from the 'grocery'

"Cooking for Geeks"  they said its fine

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Geeks-Science-Great-Hacks/dp/0596805888

just make sure the bag does not have tiny holes in it

TJ's frozen fish has this problem 22.7 % of the time

:huh:

for fish Id thaw in cold water first then pop in the 120 - 125 bath

• Like 2

image.jpg

Pork chops that are not shaved as most of them seem to be in our supermarkets. These came from an independent store. The two of them cost less than eight dollars which is quite a bargain compared to an equal weight of beef from almost any cut.

One is bagged with duck fat and one with oil as I wanted to test if my edge sealer would deal with the oil. With the help of gravity I was able to seal the bag with no problem at all.

They will be cooked for 45 minutes at 60.5°C before being seared in a cast iron skillet.

Actually only one will be seared tonight the other will be chilled down and refrigerated for another day.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Most Excellent

AnnaN

Im most interested in the Darker parts of both those pieces

the darker parts are hard to fine and so much more delicious and actually tender

Strange you should say that. That was the part my husband loved but I always found it just a little too tender. I like my meat to put up a little bit of a fight.

Edited to make sense

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Both dark and light meat were incredibly juicy and tasty. I still prefer the more chewy side. I think if I was challenged to prove to a nonbeliever the value of Sous Vide I would choose a pork chop. I might adjust my temperature down a degree or two next time.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

63.5C (x 1hr) eggs. Yolks are perfect; whites not so much. I do know of all the proposed solutions to this but prefer not to make it a multistep process.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN  the thread that cover this is encylo-paedic

if I want firmer eggs, I have another plain pan of water at a higher temp , and depending on that temp plunge the eggs in that hotter

water for a minimal amount of time, again, depending on that hotter waters temp thenpluge the whole shebang in ice water and cool

I then wipe dry and place back in a clean egg container.

I re-therm in warm water pre-eating, tap water in a plastic bowl, eggs, microwave 30 secs

then again most of the time I dont might the runny yolks as they soak in the bread ( and butter ! ) and thats that.

AnnaN  the thread that cover this is encylo-paedic

if I want firmer eggs, I have another plain pan of water at a higher temp , and depending on that temp plunge the eggs in that hotter

water for a minimal amount of time, again, depending on that hotter waters temp thenpluge the whole shebang in ice water and cool

I then wipe dry and place back in a clean egg container.

I re-therm in warm water pre-eating, tap water in a plastic bowl, eggs, microwave 30 secs

then again most of the time I dont might the runny yolks as they soak in the bread ( and butter ! ) and thats that.

Thank you. I am so aware of all the methods of improving the texture but having spent an hour waiting for my egg to cook I'm not big on doing anything else to it. I would rather pursue experiments with minimal increases in temperature/time so it becomes a one step process. I am likely chasing a unicorn but I can still enjoy the chase.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

63.5C (x 1hr) eggs. Yolks are perfect; whites not so much. I do know of all the proposed solutions to this but prefer not to make it a multistep process.

Anna N, They look wonderful, and I have been on same these last two days. This generates a question with me. I was watching one of the Harvard Youtube lectures, ( Iv'e seen all 10x). The one that raised the question is the Dave Arnold & Harold McGee session. Mr Arnold does a visual demonstration of the results of eggs cooked sous vide at different temperatures etc. Did he have a bunch of water baths in the back or is there some other way of doing this demo. I'd like an answer because it's puzzling me and I want to do this for myself. I do hope this is not in wrong place.

I've found that I even like these eggs just on a warmed plate with S&P. Coeliac so bread is out of bounds.

Mark