• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joule Sous Vide from ChefSteps

FauxPas

Does anyone else have to troubleshoot the phone / Joule connection every time they set up? At first I tracked my problems down to things like having the phone on one wifi router and the Joule on another (don't ask) but now I know my way around that one. It seems that every time I take the Joule out of storage and plug it in, I have to go through a not-so-simple connection process. The phone program has the Joule listed, but it doesn't simply connect - either by Bluetooth or wifi - without starting and stopping equipment and programs more than once.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 months later...

Ah,  Dang It, Chefsteps!   Please Breville, don't mess up the Joule under your watch.

July 16th, 2019
JOINT NOTICE TO NON-EU CUSTOMERS

Hello! You are receiving this joint notice because you have subscribed to ChefSteps’ services or connected products and, according to our records, you are not located in the EU/European Economic Area (EEA).

ChefSteps and Breville today announced a transaction that will provide you with new opportunities and services for all of ChefSteps’ products.

Breville has acquired certain assets and ongoing operations of ChefSteps, with the ambition of growing and expanding ChefSteps' product and service offerings globally.

Breville will be supporting the continued operation of your Joule ™ products and is excited about continuing to build the community.

We anticipate that not much will change for you in the short term from a practical standpoint. Breville, like ChefSteps, wishes to provide you with a seamless service experience. The website www.chefsteps.com will continue to provide information and tools to learn about sous vide cooking, our Joule product, the user forum, recipes etc. that you enjoy.

We believe this combination is a great thing for you.  Breville is as excited about our products and offerings as ChefSteps was, and has ambitions to expand the business in fun and interesting ways.

With Breville taking over these products and services from ChefSteps, Breville will gain access to your personal data/personal information that ChefSteps has received, such as your first and last name, your postal address(es) for billing and shipping, your telephone number, your email address, financial data (e.g., any retained credit or debit card number), purchase information, including lifestyle and food preferences, and grocery lists, personal details (e.g., date of birth, gender), your IP address, photographs, social media usernames as well as feedback and reviews on the Joule products.
Like ChefSteps, Breville takes data protection very seriously. Breville will be solely responsible for all data processing. We have therefore posted a revised Privacy Policy [https://www.chefsteps.com/privacy] and revised Cookie Policy[https://www.chefsteps.com/cookie-policy] on the website www.chefsteps.comto reflect this transaction. We encourage you to read these two new policies and come to us with any questions.

If you have any questions or comments about this notice, please contact Breville at privacy@breville.com or in writing to:
Breville USA, Inc.
Att: Data Protection Officer /Legal Department
19400 S Western Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501 USA

• Confused 1

On 3/23/2019 at 11:00 AM, Smithy said:

Does anyone else have to troubleshoot the phone / Joule connection every time they set up?

@Smithy, are you still taking responses? If I unplug the Joule without exiting the cook program, then I have to do lots of adjustment when I want to next use the Joule. If I just terminate the program, then I can unplug the Joule and I won't have trouble next time I want to start it up.

• Thanks 1

well

there is always an Anova to fall back on 

"""Breville will gain access to your personal data/personal information that ChefSteps has received, such as your first and last name, your postal address(es) for billing and shipping, your telephone number, your email address, financial data (e.g., any retained credit or debit card number), purchase information, including lifestyle and food preferences, and grocery lists, personal details (e.g., date of birth, gender), your IP address, photographs, social media usernames as well as feedback and reviews on the Joule products. ""

sounds a lot like FaceBook to me

and I don't FB.

Ill say no more as this is a Family Cooking Site

• Haha 2

For me, the issue seems to have been the startup sequence. I *think* the correct sequence is to start the phone app, then plug in the Joule. Unfortunately, it's been at least a month since I used it. I may have the sequence reversed. It seems not to be dependent on the router I'm using, although for a while I thought it was.

I like the small size and good heating of the Joule, but I'm inclined to agree with rotuts that the Anova is more straightforward...and more private.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

well

there is always an Anova to fall back on 

"""Breville will gain access to your personal data/personal information that ChefSteps has received, such as your first and last name, your postal address(es) for billing and shipping, your telephone number, your email address, financial data (e.g., any retained credit or debit card number), purchase information, including lifestyle and food preferences, and grocery lists, personal details (e.g., date of birth, gender), your IP address, photographs, social media usernames as well as feedback and reviews on the Joule products. ""

sounds a lot like FaceBook to me

and I don't FB.

Ill say no more as this is a Family Cooking Site

Breville are an Australian company that’s been around for ages. The information they are having access too is the information that chefsteps has on you and no more. Breville also own poly science. They don’t tend to ever do anything “suspicious”: and by all accounts based on the way Breville has been going these last 6 years it’s a really good fit. 

But to each there own, I’m on my 4th anova and I give up, this one doesn’t connect to wifi I’ll accept that flaw, I’ll accept it doesn’t connect to Bluetooth either, I’ll also accept that the timer doesn’t work because on this one, my fourth replacement anova it keeps the temp stable. Cause ya just can’t win’em all! 

• Haha 1

I have an older non-bluetooth Anova, still working OK.  I have an even older Dorkfood controller.   The Joule is the most convenient sous vide device I have.  

I do have a couple Breville appliances, I love my Milk Cafe.    I will be in the wait-and-see mode.  I do hope Breville keeps the Chefsteps videos safe.  I watch those for tips and entertainment.  They had such good production values in their included videos.

I will admit I decided to buy another pre-Breville Joule, just in case. 

From the Breville website (Privacy Policy).  

Account Information

You have the ability to access information we hold about you and to update, correct or erase ( the extent allowed by applicable law) your account information at any time by logging into your Breville account. Alternatively, you may contact us at privacy@breville.com and request information we have about you or request that we update, correct, erase (to the extent allowed by applicable law) or not to sell (if you reside in California) information that we have about you, but note that we may require you to provide additional information to confirm your identity. You may also have the right under applicable data protection law to oppose the processing of your information for legitimate purposes, limit the use and disclosure of your information and revoke the consent you have provided for its processing. If you want to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at privacy@breville.com.

Joule

Once your Joule is paired with your Breville account, you can de-link it at any time by disconnecting it via the settings on your mobile phone or tablet. Note, however, that Joule must be paired with a Breville account in order to work properly, so if your Joule has been de-linked from an account, you will need to set it up using a new account in order to enjoy its features.

The simple fact that the unit won't work unless paired to an account should be cause to boycott it. This means, fundamentally, that you bought it but you don't own it. Buying something like this is a declaration of absolute trust, not just in the company's leadership, but in all future leaders, regardless of what happens economically or who acquires them.

This argument is laid out pretty well by Wired, in reference to Microsoft's recent eBook atrocities: https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-ebook-apocalypse-drm/

For what its worth, I like Breville, and aside from the mandatory connectedness issue, I like the looks of the Joule. But I would never buy it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Notes from the underbelly

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

For what its worth, I like Breville, and aside from the mandatory connectedness issue, I like the looks of the Joule. But I would never buy it.

Not for me. I'm opposed to pointless technology.

And The North Koreans might hack my dinner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Not for me. I'm opposed to pointless technology.

And The North Koreans might hack my dinner.

I'm a fan of the size and the build quality. Not the interface (or lack thereof) and the connected stuff.

Please write a screenplay about the great North Korean sous vide hack. I'm sure everyone in this forum would show up at the box office (if no one else).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 7/22/2019 at 4:02 AM, paulraphael said:

The simple fact that the unit won't work unless paired to an account should be cause to boycott it. This means, fundamentally, that you bought it but you don't own it. Buying something like this is a declaration of absolute trust, not just in the company's leadership, but in all future leaders, regardless of what happens economically or who acquires them

Very true and something I dislike as well, however I seem jinxed and unable to keep a Sous vide circulator running unless it’s my poly science chef circulator which won’t die and has been accurate from day 1, it’s also really loud. Anova well I give up there. Another one was cheaper and it leaked and wasn’t silent.

i just want one that’s quiet, works and will fit on my bench! I have considered making my own yes.

1 hour ago, EatingBen said:

Very true and something I dislike as well, however I seem jinxed and unable to keep a Sous vide circulator running unless it’s my poly science chef circulator which won’t die and has been accurate from day 1, it’s also really loud. Anova well I give up there. Another one was cheaper and it leaked and wasn’t silent.

i just want one that’s quiet, works and will fit on my bench! I have considered making my own yes.

How odd we all have different experiences.  My anova is perfection in and of itself.  You probably didn't buy the orange one.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How odd we all have different experiences.  My anova is perfection in and of itself.  You probably didn't buy the orange one.

I’m on my fourth anova, the first the impeller would rattle constantly and make a huge amount of noise. The replacement they sent developed an issue and wouldn’t hold temp correctly. The third another (that replaced the second that replaced the first) wouldn’t hold temp properly. This last one, it holds temp properly and doesn’t rattle but wont connect to WIFI (no matter how many times I attempt to reset it) and the Bluetooth doesn’t work properly either. BUT it circulates and keeps an accurate temp so I tolerate it existing in my kitchen but I wont buy another anova, I did contemplate buying the new pro version but I shou,dn’t Have to spend 600 dollars for a circulator to work properly. 

2 hours ago, EatingBen said:

I’m on my fourth anova, the first the impeller would rattle constantly and make a huge amount of noise. The replacement they sent developed an issue and wouldn’t hold temp correctly. The third another (that replaced the second that replaced the first) wouldn’t hold temp properly. This last one, it holds temp properly and doesn’t rattle but wont connect to WIFI (no matter how many times I attempt to reset it) and the Bluetooth doesn’t work properly either. BUT it circulates and keeps an accurate temp so I tolerate it existing in my kitchen but I wont buy another anova, I did contemplate buying the new pro version but I shou,dn’t Have to spend 600 dollars for a circulator to work properly. 

Huh. I have an anova 1.0 that is still going strong. A little noisy, but always has been.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Huh. I have an anova 1.0 that is still going strong. A little noisy, but always has been.

With electronics, you just never know. I used to work for Radio Shack Canada for a lot of years, back in the day, and - because we repaired what we sold, in-house - we had a better read than most store staff on what was reliable and what wasn't. There are some major brands that I still won't buy, to this day, as a result (though realistically that was a LONG time ago...).

But it was pretty random. You'd get one person who's had nothing but grief with major, well-respected brands (in my case anything Sony I ever touched turned to crap) while other people might have nothing but rock-solid reliability from a make and model that had a hideous return rate. After a while you just shrug and fill out the repair ticket, and stop trying to figure it out.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, EatingBen said:

... I wont buy another anova, I did contemplate buying the new pro version but I shou,dn’t Have to spend 600 dollars for a circulator to work properly. 

$400. Isn't that half the price of PolyScience Chef?

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

$400. Isn't that half the price of PolyScience Chef?

The anova pro in $629 in Australian dollars. The poly science I got was $1200 quite a few years ago which at that time was a bargain and somewhat new to the market so yeah the Anova Pro is half the price but frankly I don’t trust anova, they’ve been really good with the warranty I’ve not had to argue or fight but I’m also not particularly good keeping the faith when unit after unit keeps fudging up, so I’m not exactly willing to fork out for the pro unit

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

Yeah I have a friend who has the first version as well and it’s brilliant and why I originally ordered an Anova after boring his a few times. 

I have not had the same luck. 

• 4 months later...

I have been a fan of Chefsteps since before the Joule.  I had bought a premium membership years ago for classes and special videos, et al.   Then Chefsteps kind of stalled with the Joule and the cool innovation went away.  But I still used the site for the existing recipes, I didn't feel particularly abandoned.

Then the announcement of Breville buying Joule/Chefsteps came.  Wasn't looking good for the Chefsteps site.

But I have to say Chefsteps seems to have been reborn and is vibrant again.  New recipes, not just sous vide based.  They are using BSO and Breville microwaves, but also IP and Control Freaks and freeze driers....etc.   Fun stuff, like an entire turkey turned into separate yakitori and grilling it.

They created another pay level above the Premium called Studio Pass, they offered a deal to existing Premiums to upgrade at a quite discounted price.  I went for it.  Some of the legacy Chefsteps followers were unhappy about another pay level, can't argue with that.  But the company leadership did change.

So far I feel I'm getting quite my money's worth in watching the new videos (they come out at the first of the month and some are added as the month goes on).  Grant Crilly is relatable, enthusiastic and easy to watch.  The video quality is very good and the write ups are excellent.

All the old Chefsteps content is still available too.

Just my 2 cents review and experience with the new Chefsteps concept.

Edited by lemniscate
spelling (log)
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Twice that, Robenco, glad they're back. I've always loved their content and recipes. 

Gents, which containers do you use with Joule when you're cooking large pieces of meat? I use pot (but I have to add more water from time to time), so I've been thinking about getting something even bigger.

Edited by kitchen_muse (log)

• Cooking containers: multiple Rubbermaid square food safe tubs & lids
    • 2 - Rubbermaid Commercial Space Saving Food Storage Container, 12 Quart, FG631200
    • 1 - Rubbermaid Commercial Space Saving Food Storage Container, 18 Quart, FG631800
    • 2 - Cellar Made Sous Vide Lids for ChefSteps Joule fits 12, 18 & 22 Quart Rubbermaid Containers

Same lid fits both containers. Possibly there are larger containers also.

• Like 1