• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 1)

paulraphael

Anna N, They look wonderful, and I have been on same these last two days. This generates a question with me. I was watching one of the Harvard Youtube lectures, ( Iv'e seen all 10x). The one that raised the question is the Dave Arnold & Harold McGee session. Mr Arnold does a visual demonstration of the results of eggs cooked sous vide at different temperatures etc. Did he have a bunch of water baths in the back or is there some other way of doing this demo. I'd like an answer because it's puzzling me and I want to do this for myself. I do hope this is not in wrong place.

I've found that I even like these eggs just on a warmed plate with S&P. Coeliac so bread is out of bounds.

Mark

They don't have to be warm. Cook an egg at 57 for an hour, take it out, bump the temperature up to 60, cook another egg, repeat etc. If you really want them to be warm, mark them in some way, then retherm them all at 57 before presenting.

PS: I am a guy.

They don't have to be warm. Cook an egg at 57 for an hour, take it out, bump the temperature up to 60, cook another egg, repeat etc. If you really want them to be warm, mark them in some way, then retherm them all at 57 before presenting.

Thank you for the answer. Why I couldn't have worked this out myself is beyond me. I'm going to play with this later. 

M

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Talking about eggs, quick question for you guys. If I want to make a white egg panna cotta (have you ever tried it? it's fantastic, no gelatin) what temperature do you suggest. I've checked on Chef steps: 80 C for creme brulee, 90 for flan. Should I go with 90?

Not cooking but just defrosted a duck. Will be cooked conventionally according to the amazing five-hour duck recipe which can be googled if you care.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMO 62C (144F?) is a high temp for lamb and 24 seems like a long time at that high temp.  I've done butterflied legs for 3 hr @ 133F then a quick sear and it worked well.  My experience with lamb is that it has a very small temp window to be good.  Below 130F (54.5C) and it's a bloody mess.  Above 138F (59C) and it gets tough fast.  Much less forgiving than beef or pork.

I do understand that (though not why) some like red meat well done.   Your pic and description is pretty much what I would expect from the time/temp used.

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 1

Pork Belly - Chinese New Year

I posted a pick of a Duroc pork belly above - the start of the process.   Half of it was used at a Chines New Year celebration and haf was uses at a Japanese food group gathering that I belong to.

Getting a little stupid - because I can - with the Chinese dish.  Marinated, Seared, Smoked to 125F, Bagged, SV @ 160 for 48, Cooled, Pressed, Reheated, Seared, Sauced, Served.

Seared then smoked to 125F.jpg

Final steps, heat it, sear it, sauce it.jpg

What it should look like 2.jpg

Plated CNY.jpeg

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 5

IMO 62C (144F?) is a high temp for lamb and 24 seems like a long time at that high temp.  I've done butterflied legs for 3 hr @ 133F then a quick sear and it worked well.  My experience with lamb is that it has a very small temp window to be good.  Below 130F (54.5C) and it's a bloody mess.  Above 138F (59C) and it gets tough fast.  Much less forgiving than beef or pork.

I do understand that (though not why) some like red meat well done.   Your pic and description is pretty much what I would expect from the time/temp used.

Yeah, that's the problem, not everyone here appreciated less than medium lamb. I should have checked out an appropriate time for that temp though, it wasn't a very big piece.

I can't remember when the last time was that I had a filet mignon.  It is always so gray and dry.  But a saw a little tail end of a piece of tenderlion and thought I would give it a try.  From the thickest part I cut and trimmed a steak.  Not a very large steak obviously, but just the right amount for me.

I was pasteurizing eggs at 55 deg C for Hollandaise so I threw the meat in the same bath for about two hours.  Two hours and eleven minutes to be precise.  Since I was eating immediately I did not bother with an ice bath, for the meat nor for the eggs.  Out of the bag the steak did not look promising, but I dried it on a paper towel and rubbed with grapeseed oil.  I then seared it quickly in a very hot pan, and let it rest while I blanched asparagus.

This is the first time in my life that I have understood all the fuss about tenderloin.  Better late than never.

Yesterday was my longest (so far) cook with the new Anova.  Duck legs at 72°C for (by the time we were ready for dinner) about 12 hours.

Best ever, I think.  For some reason I didn't put any orange zest in the bag as I usually do, but the main technique difference was a few minutes under the grill at the end rather than the usual screaming hot pan.  I can't say whether that actually made any difference or it was just a serendipitous combination of time, temperature and the original duck, but it was very good.

• Like 3

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Heading out tomorrow to NYC. Damn it's going to be cold. I plan on doing 72 hr short ribs when I get back.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I've heard of a couple of people who had issues with stone counter tops being exposed to hot temps for an extended period of time. I always put my Cambo on an old cutting board to protect the granite

Heading out tomorrow to NYC. Damn it's going to be cold. I plan on doing 72 hr short ribs when I get back.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I've heard of a couple of people who had issues with stone counter tops being exposed to hot temps for an extended period of time. I always put my Cambo on an old cutting board to protect the granite

I have Corian countertops but always make sure there is something heat-proof under whatever vessel I am using to Sous Vide. Just seems to make sense.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ditto.  We have granite; I'm not afraid of damaging it, but I can imagine losing quite a bit of heat through the bottom of my (usually) stock pot.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I use a silicone trivet under my stock pot.

For dinner I'm thinking of reheating some frozen chicken sous vide.  Although it's currently 11:53 pm and if I want to eat I should actually do something.

Yes, friends here have also cracked countertops made of different materials like silestone. I use a cambro or GN inside another one, it makes a kind of double-wall for insulation and also protects the countertop.

Just to clarify, granite won't discolor due to heat?

I was warned that it might, when my granite countertops were installed. I've never wanted to risk it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown