• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 1)

paulraphael

really?

at 140F or so (where MOST sous vide takes place)????

the only time the cambro even feels "hot" to the touch, by any reasonable definition to me, is when I do potatoes at 180F

• Like 1

really?

the only time the cambro even feels "hot" to the touch, by any reasonable definition to me, is when I do potatoes at 180F

For me at least it's a case of better safe than sorry. I am quite capable of becoming distracted and turning the temperature much too high when I first start up the system. I am not saying I've done this mind you but I might. Anyway putting something under it brings me comfort and what the hell at my age I'm entitled to some of that.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Weedy I agree and the ambient temp in my house is closer to the SV temp than some of you folks up closer to the polar ice caps[emoji100][emoji300]️. But I have just heard of a few cracked counter tops on forums and was just passing along a precaution

I've got two 1kg chuck roasts in for the next 24 hours. Will be serving with a red wine reduction sauce.

X1Vg4EJl.jpg

Taste and texture were fantastic. 54.5C - 24 Hours

• Like 6

Just to clarify, granite won't discolor due to heat?

I have no idea about granite discolouring and I certainly wouldn't want it to crack.  But my rationale for using the cutting board goes in the other direction; I don't want the circulator having to work harder than it needs to because the benchtop is soaking up heat.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Ranz, that looks great. Last time I did a chuck it was good but I wished I would have cut it up into individual muscle groups.

Thanks scuba.

Regarding the muscle groups, are you saying that you would have separated them and done them at different time/temps to each other?

really?

Absolutely. I teach sous-vide classes and this happened to me at a restaurant during a course. Also a friend have had the same issue. With temperatures around 60ºC and Cambro and GN policarbonate containers

""  I don't want the circulator having to work harder than it needs to because the benchtop is soaking up heat. ""

as I only had one cambro, it came w the SVMagic a zillion years ago

I use 'beer coolers' exclusively, and have 4 different sizes.  you do have to add insulation to the top.

Im happy with them.

Today I took leave of my senses and I bought a 2" thick strip loin steak that had been dry aged for 80 long days. I plan on cooking it sous vide at 132F and then pan searing it. However, never having had anything quite like it I was wondering if it required any special treatment? I'd hate to screw this up.

You did not comment on the time element.   I do "quick" steaks for at least 3 hours, my preference is for 129/130F but 132 should still be in med rare.  I did try and shortcut a strip once with only an hour in the bath and though it hit temp and was the right color the texture was off and it tasted and looked underdone.  A fail.

Other than that season it a little and have at it.  If it's great, write it down.  If it sux, write it down. 

• Like 1

Today I took leave of my senses and I bought a 2" thick strip loin steak that had been dry aged for 80 long days. I plan on cooking it sous vide at 132F and then pan searing it. However, never having had anything quite like it I was wondering if it required any special treatment? I'd hate to screw this up.

According to SV Dash, a 2" steak cooked to 131F in a 132F bath would take 3h38m to get to core temp.

It would save a little time to cook it to a core temp of 130F in a 132F bath - that's 3h7m

One last possibility would be to go to 129F in a 132F bath - that's 2h49m.

So, I guess the short answer is that daveb is absolutely correct - you'll need to do it for about 3 hours!!!

Step-father's birthday 2day.  He's a big fan of lamb, and of food in general.  Always a pleasure to cook for.

Salad was a sort of Grilled Asparagus Panzanella with SV poached egg - loosely interpeted from Serious Eats.

20150308_152052.jpg

Dinner was Lamb Tenderloin, SV @ 131F, for about 3 hours,  hehe. then finished on grill.  Cauliflower SV @ 185F for an hour,  cauli steaks were seared on grill, rest was pureed.  The green beans remail forgotten in the fridge.

2015-03-08 10.47.00.jpg

2015-03-08 11.08.10.jpg

2015-03-08 16.01.53.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great Daveb. When I was finding lamb tenderloin at Fresh Market. They were maybe 3/4 an inch in diameter, cylindrical and approximately 8-10 inches long. Yours looks totally different. Different sized animals or cut?

Looks good, but looks like lamb loin rather than tenderloin.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

OK :  i had not thought about that.  thanks for the idea and tip.   I like lamb as rare as possible yet tender.

this seems to be the only way to do it.

PS  pics are always nice and welcome.  just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Lamb leg cubes in gravy sous vide for 10 hours T 131 degrees. Lovely. Moist meat. That is the way to make stew.

I've been ruminating making a mutton curry using sous vide where I brown the meat, sous vide for tenderness, then mix the meat into the curry for a shorter cook. Think it will work?

I prefer using mutton to lamb for curries for the depth of flavour it brings, but I'm worried that will be lost if the curry is cooked separately as above.

Lamb leg cubes in gravy sous vide for 10 hours T 131 degrees. Lovely. Moist meat. That is the way to make stew.

How big were the cubes? Standard stew size? I assume you browned the meat afterwards? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. I have never cooked lamb for stew this way and I happen to have some in the freezer so would like to try it.