• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

I ended up throwing it out, @rotuts. One bottle had expiry Sept 2023, other October 2023. One bottle had a slightly blue twinge at the bottle opening. Both smelled good and were quite viscous.

Next time I will listen to @ElsieD and freeze it.

(Opinion revised below)

Edited by TdeV (log)

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

I'll be the outlier.  I use old buttermilk all the time--way past the exp. date.  You'll know by the smell if it has gone off I promise.

Me, too.  I give it a sniff, make sure there's no mold lurking inside the carton and go ahead with it.  Been doing this since I read the comment below towards the end of Stella Park's Why Buttermilk Substitutes Are a Bum Deal article on Serious Eats, I've been using rather ancient buttermilk in baking with no ill effects.

I'll offer up a bit of Kentucky-fried insight from my dad: Buttermilk doesn't spoil, it gets better. There's nothing wrong with using buttermilk well past the sell-by date; its acidic nature and complement of beneficial bacteria make buttermilk much less perishable than fresh milk. And if it gets a bit tangier over time, that's a win for most recipes.

If ancient buttermilk isn't your thing, there's also this suggestion from the same article which could set you up for some time if you can manage to get your hands on a container.

City slickers unconvinced by country wisdom should bear in mind that buttermilk freezes extremely well, with no loss in quality when it comes to baked goods. So use what you need, then freeze the rest in heavy-duty zip-top bags to protect against freezer burn—you can even divvy it up according to the amount of buttermilk needed for your favorite recipe(s).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I confess that I also use yogurt and sour cream well beyond their "best by" dates as long as they look and smell OK.

Milk, I always taste as well sniff.  Sometimes it's over with before the best by date on the carton and other times, it lasts much longer. 

Elderly yogurt can get a bit extra tangy so I may not want to chow down a big bowl on its own but it's fine in a recipe.

And sour cream is already sour, so....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I freeze buttermilk in 1/4 cup portions.

Me too! It used to be sold in 500ml cartons but no longer. There is no way I go through a litre before it turns into a science experiment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I freeze it in silicone egg bite molds, the size used for a pressure cooker.   The holes hold 1/4 cup each.  I do the same thing with apple cider.  Every now and again I'll buy a bag of lemons, juice them and freeze them in ice cube trays in 2 tablespoon portions.  For the zest, a take a piece of plastic wrap, put the zest on it in little piles, I lemon worth each little pile,  wrap and freeze.  Last time I froze the zest in ice cube trays, covered the zest with water and froze.  I haven't used any yet so I don't know how that will work out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I freeze it in silicone egg bite molds, the size used for a pressure cooker.   The holes hold 1/4 cup each.  I do the same thing with apple cider.  Every now and again I'll buy a bag of lemons, juice them and freeze them in ice cube trays in 2 tablespoon portions.  For the zest, a take a piece of plastic wrap, put the zest on it in little piles, I lemon worth each little pile,  wrap and freeze.  Last time I froze the zest in ice cube trays, covered the zest with water and froze.  I haven't used any yet so I don't know how that will work out.

This, and similar posts following and preceding it, all could stand to be brought up in The Quintessential eG Kitchen Tips/Trucs topic!

7 minutes ago, lindag said:

I bought a set of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) last year with the intention of freezing my leftover buttermilk but still haven't done it.

I think my silicone ice cube trays are smaller, but I think the things are marvelous.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I ducked the issue - got "powdered buttermilk"

one issue tho - you have to re-package it into a glass jar (ala Mason...) because it will become a rock if left in the original package once opened....

Classic sub for buttermilk is kefir. But I use those fermented dairy products for as long as they smell and look fine, best by dates be damned.

AS @blue_dolphin notes, milk is a crap shoot. I've had milk last only for a day or two after opening, as well as milk lasting way longer.  I think that all comes down to its handling before getting to its final destination - your fridge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, TdeV said:

Thought I had notes about this, but I can't find any.

I recall someone stating that buttermilk never actually (really) expired, thus it could be used for cooking months after the expiry date.

In my case I want to marinate some chicken in it.

Is this an okay plan?

It's cultured milk - already 'contaminated' with enough bugs to keep bad bugs out. It gets more tart but is still fine after expiry date - up to a point. If it's got green or blue mold on it - out it goes. Otherwise I happily use it, and sour cream, and yogurt. Used to drive me nuts when the EA's at Kira's school would throw out the yogurt I sent her with if it was past the best by date. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I presume the potatoes were russets?  they tend to 'dissolve' more so that others....

if you like a really creamy style potato salad - the outer mush does that very well.  I've intentionally 'over cooked' them to get that extra creamy consistency.

or mashed - by hand - don't overwork and create a lot of gluten...

diced up, home fries "patties" . . . .

• Like 1

@TdeV - can't you simply mash them and slather with butter for good mashed potatoes? Else use them as the thickener in a creamy soup?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I would dice, add some scallions/shallot, fry them up as patties.

classic uses/types:

potatoes high starch russet - bake / mash / fry / whip
potatoes low starch waxy - reds, fingerling, yukon - boiling
potatoes medium starch yukon, kinnebec white - /gratin / scallop / casserole

• Like 4

Not sure how mushy the spuds are but I'd toss them about in a hot pan to see if you can dry them out a bit before doing anything else like mashing, etc. 

Maybe try Kenji's roast potatoes if they have at least a little substance left:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

My question is for all owners of countertop toaster-type ovens*

How do you clean the appliance?

1) Do you move/tip/tilt the appliance while cleaning it? 

2) Does the open appliance door get in the way of cleaning it?

3) If you don't move the appliance, how do you manage to see the roof inside the appliance? Can you look at the roof inside the appliance AND clean it at the same time?

4) Cleaning the appliance are you sitting or standing?

* I have an Anova Precision Oven which sits on the kitchen countertop and weighs a million pounds.

• Like 1

We have an old Breville toaster oven which has given us yeoman service.  It's basically pretty dirty inside I think...I am a terrible house keeper and have a wonderful cleaning lady who is not only beautiful, but a total delight and the same age as our youngest and she loves to clean...but I've never asked her to clean the toaster oven.  And besides it's on its last legs and slowly dying the deaths of a thousand cuts.  Sorry.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@TdeV

before i start to Pre-Load for the Swift Bowl

Ill ask :  why do you want to clean your T.O ?

the CSO has a slide out stainless steel insert you re supposed to use for toast.

thus removing the crumbs from time to time.

my guess you remove crumbs fro toast so they don't ignite

during high temperature baking.

other than crumbs , why clean ? 

if you have a pool of fat waiting to ignite 

that would be something to remove.

as a fire prevention.