Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
587 replies to this topic

#571 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

Soba, does 'farm egg' mean something specific like 'free-range', or do you mean you got it from the farm?

• SobaAddict70 likes this

#572 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Soba, does 'farm egg' mean something specific like 'free-range', or do you mean you got it from the farm?

It's to differentiate them from eggs from factory farms.

The eggs I buy are from USGM, from vendors like Quattro's Game Farm and Violet Hill Farm. They sell heritage meats (heritage beef, pork, lamb, chicken) and eggs that are antibiotic-free/free-range/organic.

There are some folks who don't see a difference between farm eggs and non-farm eggs; it's a big planet, with room for them and people like me.  :wink:

#573 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

Egg shopping habits in the UK have thankfully changed massively over the last ten or so years. Free range overtook battery farm eggs in 2012 and several supermarkets only stock free range. Tesco is the biggest supermarket over here; they have said that consumer choice is their priority so still sell eggs from caged hens.

• SobaAddict70 likes this

#574 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

Egg shopping habits in the UK have thankfully changed massively over the last ten or so years. Free range overtook battery farm eggs in 2012 and several supermarkets only stock free range. Tesco is the biggest supermarket over here; they have said that consumer choice is their priority so still sell eggs from caged hens.

Probably material for another thread (although I'm sure not news to folks who have been around for a while ... you have only to look elsewhere to see the debates/arguments that roil back and forth between those who think one way and those who feel differently :rolleyes: :wink: ), but the U.S. is regrettably years behind such a state of affairs.  Still, some things are better now than years ago, but we have miles to go before the phrase "factory farm" disappears from our vocabulary.

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#575 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Ashen, did you grind up the burger yourself?  What meat & grind size(s), and how was it ?  I have this on my radar (I'll probably do lamb/mutton sausages first), but have no immediate experience to report from.

Sorry it was bought ground. I do often grind my own beef for burgers but I haven't looked into good choices of cut or grind for lamb. The burger itself turned out quite well.  I am a plain  beef burger fan,  patties that are simply seasoned with s&p and cooked hot and fast .   If I am making burgers with other meats on the other hand , I usually end up tarting it up a bit more.  This time  I sweated down some diced onion and sweet red peppers  , juice of half a lemon in the pan then left to reduce down. I put this aside to cool .  In a bowl I had minced garlic, lemon zest, dried  greek oregano, the onion/pepper mixture , a good pinch of a spice blend I made with coriander seed, red chile flake, white pepper, and marjoram, S& P and the lamb.. mixed til just combined and made the patties. ( actually I fried off a small bit first to check seasoning and needed a bit more s &p)  homemade tzatziki and fine slice onion on top. 

Ashen, now that is one beautiful burger.

Thankyou

My wife has been bugging me about a couple of large stewing hens that have been in the freezer for a while . I  broke one down for dinner tonight and braised it  in a braising liquid  I made earlier  from beer,water, the chicken back, onions, carrots, a couple of baby bok choy  , garlic.     Slow oven for a few hrs.   Drained the braise liquid off and made a  sauce with beurre manie  , browned off the chicken pieces.   served with salad and  smaltz roasted hasselbacks 

chickenstewed_zps7fea8593.jpg

Edited by Ashen, 11 May 2014 - 10:56 PM.

• SobaAddict70 and Toliver like this
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#576 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

... This time  I sweated down some diced onion and sweet red peppers  , juice of half a lemon in the pan then left to reduce down. I put this aside to cool .  In a bowl I had minced garlic, lemon zest, dried  greek oregano, the onion/pepper mixture , a good pinch of a spice blend I made with coriander seed, red chile flake, white pepper, and marjoram, S& P and the lamb.. mixed til just combined and made the patties. ( actually I fried off a small bit first to check seasoning and needed a bit more s &p)  homemade tzatziki and fine slice onion on top. 

Sounds dang good.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

#577 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

Ashen – delicious way to give leftover chicken gourmet treatment.

SobaAddic – many stunning photos!

Scottyboy – We miss your cooking.

Huiray – you need to start thinking about writing a cookbook.

Ann_T – you make yummy food look so easy to create.

Anna N – your dishes are always just as appetizing as any fancy ingredients.

Basquecook – Dandelion greens, ramps --- you are speak my kind of language.

Mm84321 – everything comes out from your kitchen is perfectly done.

Steve irby – beautiful plating.

Chefmd – Agree, perfect salmon.

Kim – Absolutely amazing onion rings. Not the easiest thing to get perfect.

------------------------------------------

A few recent cooks.

dcarch

Roasted pork, kabocha, broccoli stems

Posted Image

Posted Image

smoked chicken daylily shoots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Smoked pork shoulder on orzo

Posted Image

Posted Image

• SobaAddict70, Shelby, Steve Irby and 1 other like this

#578 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

When I was in the Asian market getting a beef shank and bones for Seolleongtang, I also picked up a stewing chicken for stock. It still had it's head and feet attached.  It was a skinny and tough old bird but when simmered for 3 hours, very tasty. 

Cassie said she had never heard of drop dumplings before I made them with chicken.  She only knew about the noodle-like kind and she liked that kind.  She left for work yesterday around 8 so I thought she'd be home for dinner. It turns out she worked a 15 hour day and I was in bed before she got home. I don't know if she liked the noodle dumplings or not but Charlie said they were good. They were made with baking soda/powder and buttermilk.  We had it with corn muffins.

I still have a couple quarts of stock which is now in the freezer.

Edited by Norm Matthews, 12 May 2014 - 07:26 AM.

• gfweb likes this

#579 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Many thanks to all the folks who sent kind words and compliments my way.  Much appreciated.

A simple dinner - chicken soup w/ fresh orecchiette.  Soup made w/ a stewing chicken, carrots, leafy celery (see below), ginger slices, salt....

DSCN1455a_800.jpg

...which followed from lunch w/ the soup only...

DSCN1452a_800.jpg

...and the making of which was urged on me by my mind after I got these lovely leafy celery stems from the BRFM...

DSCN1461a_800.jpg

• Ann_T and David Ross like this

#580 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Dcarch--Lovely smoked chicken.  I'm hungry for that.

Huiray--Such clear, gorgeous chicken broth!

Everyone else, as always, I love perusing your mouth watering food.

Chicken and mushroom alfredo of sorts

Image.jpg

And, a friend came to stay with us for a few days.  He made us these wonderful venison burgers on the grill.

Image 1.jpg

• Toliver, patrickamory, rotuts and 1 other like this

#581 caroled

caroled
  • participating member
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Shelby, That's a fine looking burger on that onion bun.

• Shelby likes this
And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

#582 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Wow

both look delicious 

but that burger is Talking to Me :

Its saying  Yum Yum.

• Smithy and Shelby like this

#583 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

More wonderful fresh asparagus from Walla Walla.  This time stir-fried with black bean garlic sauce-

005.JPG

• Toliver, Shelby and rotuts like this

#584 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Tonight's salad and pizza, the only frozen pizza I can stand - Newman's Own Thin and Crispy Four Cheese Pizza - it's excellent.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#585 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

image.jpg

Canned salmon salad on still-warm home-made bread with a layer of thinly sliced cucumber.
  • Toliver, Smithy, David Ross and 3 others like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#586 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Was an experiment tonight -- my partner proclaimed it delicious which is all that really matters in the end.

14175017274_7c991aa643_z.jpg

14151819946_7ea2f27657_z.jpg

Garlic shrimp, with ramps and egg on toast

We also had:

Leftover soupe au pistou
Cheese, fruit and honey
  • Toliver and Shelby like this

#587 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

Anna OMG that's what I'm talking about… a perfectly put-together sandwich is always going to be my favorite thing!

#588 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

I do have more elaborate or more involved dinners but it is more often the case that they are simple ones or meals made from leftovers - unlike most of you here where dinner appears to be almost always the most substantial meal of the day frequently involving lots of fancy footwork/handwork and the greatest investment of time and energy and resources and ingredients. 

Here's a meal I had late last night, which was definitely a homestyle/really simple thrown-together meal, something that was tasty but allowed me to just barely stir from my sleepiness/general-blahness.

White rice (this took the usual ~ 1/2 hr prep & cooking time, stove-top) liberally sprinkled w/ wasabi fumi furikake; in-situ scrambled "marbled" eggs (three) (very hot pan, hot oil, maybe 1-2 minutes tops cooking time, full heat, eggs "release" fairly quickly; still runny in the centers, just the way I like them); stir-fried Taiwan bok choy (screamingly hot pan, almost smoking oil, Himalayan salt; less than 2 minutes cooking time, covered part of the time; some of the pieces get slightly browned). 

:-)

DSCN1471a_800.jpg

[Host note: This topic continues here, Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx, 14 May 2014 - 10:01 AM.
Note added.

• Shelby and patrickamory like this