• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Hot again and didn’t feel like cooking so a light dinner of smoked salmon and salad… those are little pieces of preserved lemon which I like but husband does not

F43ACA9C-B1FB-4908-9F7B-9DCDBB142A5A.jpeg.0f89396370b4b9f446abc95c72d9e393.jpegFor dessert

we had figs and slices of a mild Gorgonzola 

5DDF485E-D460-417E-9C92-380E187D08F1.jpeg.3dd845e6689242a8374299535f0e39a8.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

Douban chicken and mushrooms.

IMG_20240215_192055.thumb.jpg.9fc48137e33dc002fb4300b95c240ba6.jpg

Chicken, garlic, chilli, ginger, 豆瓣酱 (dòu bàn jiàng - Sichuan broad bean and chilli paste), button mushrooms, Shaoxing wine, scallions. Rice and stir-fried spinach (unphotographed).

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

One of the many dishes for the Lunar New Year of the Dragon dinner.

Dragon roll sushi, with head and tail, as required by the tradition.

Pot stickers to symbolize gold ingots for prosperity, also common tradition for new year.

dcarch

ChineseNewYear2024dragonrolla.thumb.jpg.da3938f510ca9b6fedfed86a0053642a.jpg

ChineseNewYear2024dragonrollc.thumb.jpg.faa89b6ac2078ea55447fc9693d74b94.jpg

ChineseNewYear2024dragonrolld.thumb.jpg.5fb11e8ebb0f43afdaa513847f4e196f.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

Cappelletti pasta with sautéed onions, sausage and garlic, peperoncino. Broccoli was  added along with some poultry broth and Parmesan.

Dessert was  espresso custard with chocolate crunchies on top.

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5647.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

29 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Cappelletti pasta with sautéed onions, sausage and garlic, peperoncino. Broccoli was  added along with some poultry broth and Parmesan.

Dessert was  espresso custard with chocolate crunchies on top.

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5647.jpeg

That sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe for the espresso custard to share?

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

@MaryIsobel  One jumbo egg ( or large) 2T sugar, 1 rounded teaspoon  Medaglia d’Oro espresso powder, vanilla, whole milk to fill to one cup mark (after you have added the previous ingredients ) of measuring cup.Mix egg and sugar with chopsticks to keep bubbles at a minimum.Add espresso powder and a little of the milk to help dissolve espresso. Mix gently , then add balance of milk and vanilla. Strain into two containers, cover containers, steam gently on rack in a covered pot.  Removed at 171* , time will depend on container thickness and temperature of ingredients, somewhere between 7 and 9 minutes roughly. I tested at 5 minutes to get an idea of the temperature. ETA. This is it not very sweet, you might want to consider one more tablespoon sugar.

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cashew_chix_202402.thumb.jpg.0f78d8a5280d44e6c44cb5921d2d93e8.jpg

Cashew cream chicken, from ‘My Bombay Kitchen’. Sear chicken and marinate with ginger-garlic paste. Fry dried chiles, cloves, cardamom, and onion. Add chicken, cover with water, and then simmer until done. Blend raw cashews with yogurt, sauce, and dried chiles, and then simmer everything together. Milder than intended but no complaints.

Turmeric rice with cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, black cardamom, and garlic. Mrs. C stir-fried broccoli florets and broccolini with garlic and maybe some other stuff.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Salmon club sandwich for a simple early dinner. From the bottom mayo, tomato, rinsed pickled hot peppers, bacon, poached salmon, lettuces and Monterey Jack on toasted WW.

With a Breton Brewing Pale Ale.

DSCN1738.thumb.JPG.4d9ce6c8fc31d5bf34550f49f2d7df9a.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Surprisingly cool and wet on our return to Mexico,

Massaman shrimp curry.  Canned massaman paste and can of coconut milk mixed into a well cooked melange of carrots, brussel sprouts, orange sweet pepper, onions and MXN squash (green).  

Esposo likes this mild curry, I add siracha on my plate. 

curry1.jpg

• Like 14

Dinner last night was duck pancakes. I bought the crispy skin duck at a nearby Chinese restaurant and made the pancakes at home. Didn’t feel like eating out. 

7D40597E-399C-467A-A44A-ED6A80294F14.jpeg.4850ed973053d9bcd1e27f0f66534f83.jpeg

Edited by Neely (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Visiting friend wanted to try something unavailable in rural Maine so we went out for African food. Chicken peanut butter stew, goat stew, and pumpkinseed chicken (egusi) stew with mixed greens and three kinds of fufu (plantain, corn, and fonio). Fufu was interesting, and unlike anything I have ever had before. No pics, sadly.

Grandparents spent time in Ghana so it was interesting to compare the stews with family recipes, even though the owner/cook is from Cameroon.

Wandered downtown and stopped for Old Fashioneds at a local distillery, which recently opened a bar.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sirloin, cooked on the grill without sous vide.  First time I have cooked a steak this way in many years.  It came out fine.  Might go back to it!  Served with baked potato (35 minutes in the Speedi) and steamed broccoli.

steak-broc-pot.jpg.08e8b11a0856d09f26d7ed950aa989c4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

The fish truck only had one container of the Martha's Vineyard bay scallops left by the time I got there, so I bought that and a container of Cape Cod sea scallops and made scallops picatta over angel hair.

scallopspicatta.thumb.jpg.0d28c327479c1ce6842e0c35cb2f5f97.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 7

It's been a busy week here, with a (big) birthday, anniversary, Valentine's Day, and whatever else. So we went out to eat a number of times, as I was unable to get a reservation where I really wanted to go for our anniversary. (fuck RESY and their ilk).

Anyway, we started (on our anniversary) at a restaurant we've wanted to try, called Koloman. Marcus, the chef, has been at a few previous restaurants we've really enjoyed, and here he stretches out even further, with his "own" place. 

Here, @Kerry Beal was mentioning the frying of parmesan rinds. I do know, and have made, frico. So I was taken by surprise with this amazing appetizer:

image.thumb.jpeg.36b205c7029b10c0183c5517fcd24176.jpeg

Where the parmesan is fried and ends up almost like a piece of chicharrón. To go along with the celeriac tartare, something I was not expecting at all.

IMG_1452.thumb.jpeg.94a26731466e7955f11d0df0633e9352.jpeg

We also had this kingfish crudo, with lots of horseradish.

For my main, I wanted the classic Koloman dish:

IMG_1457.thumb.jpeg.62cf38b0f0d45a848df3766e8cc2e3fc.jpeg

Salmon en Croûte, with a beetroot beurre rouge, pickled cucumbers and sunchoke purée. Significant Eater had the unpictured schnitzel.

For dessert, we couldn't pass up the souffle for two, with lingonberries, vanilla ice cream, and rum...

IMG_1458.thumb.jpeg.5f9c4eef9d005ca46b4147066732519a.jpeg

We rolled out of Koloman, happy on our 26th anniversary.

The next night, we actually went to see Patti Smith at the Bowery Ballroom, so even though it was a birthday, meals were not that important.

But we made up for it with dinner a few nights later (the night after Valentine's Day) with dinner at Cecchi's, a place I've mentioned before.  Apparently, my lover of hamburgers and fries could not resist...

IMG_1481(1).thumb.jpeg.ceb2667391f38e8b9b55bd09b19acd23.jpeg

While I had a nicely cooked, huge pork chop.  Dessert was simple, just a chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream (comped by the host).

All in all, a pretty good week.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 10

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Uzbek restaurant before seeing the Temptations musical at the Kennedy Center. Clockwise from lower left: Cabbage salad, beef tongue with horseradish and capers, Turkish coffee, dolma, samsa, Olivier salad, more beef tongue, and borscht. There was lots more food at the other end of the table.

Olivier salad and borscht were good, but Russian neighbor's is better. :biggrin:

IMG_7577.thumb.jpg.3e12c96586d0f774d470f886383c4a0f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

ere, @Kerry Beal was mentioning the frying of parmesan rinds. I do know, and have made, frico. So I was taken by surprise with this amazing appetizer:

image.thumb.jpeg.36b205c7029b10c0183c5517fcd24176.jpeg

Where the parmesan is fried and ends up almost like a piece of chicharrón. To go along with the celeriac tartare, something I was not expecting at all

While I can vivdly imagine a Parmigiano chicharrón I am also intrigued by the celeriac tartare … could you elaborate 🙏 ?