• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

You definitely want the "premium" in the green can. The one on the red can is super salty. I have some - I found it unusable.

I find most LKK products unusable. 😎

I have started a new topic on Chinese chicken powders in order to not let the subject get lost among all the fine dinners here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Italian wedding soup with tortellini.  I put multi colored carrots from my farm box in the soup, and the purple ones stained the broth an odd color.  Still tasted fine though.

italianweddingsoup.thumb.jpg.8bb797d296cb61c173ae92f9c938fa7f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Very ordinary but iconic Australian dinner… lamb cutlets, peas and mashed potatoes. Comfort food for ( older) Aussies. 

8E1607BB-5713-41B3-93D6-A41C12A48B34.jpeg.e853a10165448ccf42290f9c4658d35d.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, Neely said:

Very ordinary but iconic Australian dinner… lamb cutlets, peas and mashed potatoes. Comfort food for ( older) Aussies. 

I'm not a lamb lover or a pea lover  but my husband and one of my daughters would be over the moon with that dinner. I'll have to do that for them one of these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Neely said:

I'm a big fan of lamb however not a lot of people I know are. What's always strange is that when the subject ("I don't like lamb") comes up during a discussion around food I'll ask why and when have you tried it and the answer is usually "I don't know" and "I can't remember but I'm sure I've tried it". They don't know what they're missing.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

13 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I'm a big fan of lamb however not a lot of people I know are. What's always strange is that when the subject ("I don't like lamb") comes up during a discussion around food I'll ask why and when have you tried it and the answer is usually "I don't know" and "I can't remember but I'm sure I've tried it". They don't know what they're missing.

Absolutely, we like lamb and we also like the other proteins. I like lamb probably more towards medium than the rare that is popular these days. Certainly not well done,  it has to have a little pink to it… We call these cutlets and they are really just a mouthful or two. These were particularly tender and we enjoyed them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neely said:

Absolutely, we like lamb and we also like the other proteins. I like lamb probably more towards medium than the rare that is popular these days. Certainly not well done,  it has to have a little pink to it… We call these cutlets and they are really just a mouthful or two. These were particularly tender and we enjoyed them. 

Here that would be packaged as a 'rack of lamb' which can be roasted whole (preferred to achieve a good medium rare) and sliced into chops after resting. My second favorite cut of lamb after shanks.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Took Momo Chili paste and made this spicy ramen--  blanched green beans, bok choy, 6 min egg, white corn,  all in a ramen broth (  I buy extra when i go to ramen shops )

Momo Noodles ( el dente )

image.thumb.png.006b6c6df3005ee384e7e435b3a3c8ec.png

image.thumb.png.a1f27b5bacd69c1ce0e9b89d88c787e1.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Its good to have Morels

I feel like Sandra Lee these days. I should start a homemade fast food topic because I often feel silly posting these things in this one. Being a full-time caregiver for my husband, I almost never get out to do real grocery shopping anymore. I get things delivered as much as possible and with lack of time and arthritic hands, I take more and more shortcuts.

At any rate, last night was another crap shoot. I had a salad mix to use up and some Kevin's chimichurri beef. So, Argen-Thai tacos happened. This worked better than I could have imagined. I did not get a photo of the tacos, but did snap the ingredients. I would make this again if I had the ingredients!

image.thumb.png.5ffd3ffc87f682fbd335f4dfbeacb12d.png

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

On 1/15/2024 at 8:54 AM, liamsaunt said:

Since my sister and I don't eat red meat, I also made mushrooms bourguignon 

mushroombourgninon.thumb.jpg.9cf3ded908f1c5b533ec6f6d743098df.jpg

All of the dishes in this post look scrumptious! Sorry for being so far behind the times. Could you direct me to your recipe for mushrooms bourguignon?

Edited to add:

@liamsaunt replied to this here which stated:

"It's Melissa Clark's mushrooms bourguignon.  Recipe here: mushroom bourguignon

"I used white wine instead of red, mushroom broth for the liquid, and skipped the crispy mushroom garnish because I was doing too many other things at the end.  I did put oyster mushrooms in the stew though."

Edited by TdeV
Update! (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:52 AM, mgaretz said:

Cold, windy and rainy here in NCal.  So chicken noodle soup with chicken, noodles, carrots, celery, onion, corn and peas.

chicken-noodle-soup3.jpg.6e53e6bff2661d7e566688b4a82835e5.jpg

That looks like home. I had a very visceral reaction just looking at it. 

On 2/5/2024 at 11:45 AM, Dejah said:

Grandson has enlisted in the Canadian Armed Forces. He leaves March 1 to some training camp, so I am feeding him all his favourites until then - Lamb chops and Prime rib!

I'd be tempted to enlist myself, for such a send-off! Doubt they'd take me, though. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'd be tempted to enlist myself, for such a send-off! Doubt they'd take me, though. 😉

@Smithy Come on up! I'd feed you without your enlisting;-)

Tried a recipe someone shared in my facebook group. It was called Chicken Alfredo Lasagna, except you rolled the filling in lasagna sheets instead of layers. The ready-to-use noodles I bought were not pliable, so I just layered it like the usual lasagna. Not a fan; I will continue to make regular tomato sauce ground beef lasagna, and Chicken Alfredo with Fettuccine.

ChickenAlfredoLasagna3563.jpg.85350a3eafe2eb4c9c039f2762d8f0fc.jpg

Pork and Shrimp stuffed bell peppers in black bean garlic sauce.

Stuffedpeppers3568.jpg.0d040d10b05486875d08e8ec6ec49367.jpgStuffedpeppers3571.jpg.01a09c86a7bc952ccae255b616273259.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had this Chicken Marbella marinating over night in the fridge. 

B8B6C4E2-1DCB-4005-B495-5DFE95FD877E.jpeg.9c755a0d1244eedf43a719b3a960e8a3.jpeg

I missed the invention of this dish in the 70’s and only heard about it from some US friends about 12 years ago. Served with plain sweet potato. 

7DC45E21-2931-4A74-90ED-CB1CE03E7476.jpeg.5d362020ac0d841bae385257a142717a.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

@liamsaunt

very nice looking dish

how did you prepare your rice noodles for the stir fry ?

hot water soak ?  boiling water briefly  , then drain ?

thanks.

I boiled them for a brief while, then rinsed in cold water.  I finished cooking them in the sauce at the very end.  It worked well.

Last night, I roasted a big bag full of parsnips and then added them to an oven baked "risotto" recipe.  Topped with a few scallops.

roastedparsniprisotto.thumb.jpg.1908950de2d607415b9aa7040194c8d5.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

I was the local grocery store where I buy most of my meats, especially beef.
One of the meat department employees told me she had just put some of their hams out at the end of aisle meat counters and they were on sale.
I found a small bone in ham, that was just 2.2Kilo and it was on for $12.00 less another $6.00. I couldn't pass it up.
HamDinnerFebruary7th20241.thumb.jpg.818f39257194f23fb398a60954781274.jpg
Roasted it yesterday and we had it for dinner. Along with Moe's favourite potato gratin, cooked in chicken broth and sautéed onions, and fresh thyme,
Delicata squash and steamed broccoli.
Although the ham isn't low sodium, Moe had just two small pieces and the remaining sides were cooked without the addition of salt.
I did add some sea salt to my broccoli.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Grilled lamb short loin chops, steamed potato, beans and a fried egg. 

Haven't had an egg in over a week so I scratched that itch.

IMG_20240208_201452.thumb.jpg.f28ae87f3dba2e56d57f8c3f39d09176.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Lots of cilantro and roasted chile Poblano in tonight's meal

IMG_7556.thumb.jpg.96b5e55f30bcd8e153c7e335ab20757c.jpg

Roasted Poblano, dry-fried mushrooms, and seared shrimp with onion, Mexican oregano, and thyme, cooked down with chicken stock and crema, then finished with cilantro. Lots of deglazing. :biggrin:  Squeeze of lime at the table.

Green rice with cilantro, roasted chile Poblano, onion, garlic, and chicken stock

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5