• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_2793.thumb.jpeg.6784e498ed66ca4bef272a5edf3de687.jpeg

The usual plating disaster:  Seared yellowfin tuna (dusted with La Boite's Lula blend) over a market salad (lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, . , sweet onion) with a soy/ginger house-made vinaigrette.  Fancy Japanese rice. 

I'm not seeing the disaster part. The tuna looks good. I like my food hot. It seems to me that if a chef spends a long time bent over my plate with tweezers, my food will be cold by the time it gets to the table. Maybe it's weird, but I don't want anyone but me playing with my food. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RWood said:

Was craving Greek spaghetti. Cleaned out some cherry tomatoes, with kalamata, capers, garlic, feta and parsley. 

IMG_5412.jpeg

Looks not too far from Puttanesca!

• Like 1

甜豆鱿鱼 (tián dòu yóu yú) Squid with sugar snap peas. Garlic, ginger, chilli, Chaoshan fish sauce and Shaoxing wine. Served with rice. Squid with snap peas is a very common pairing round these parts.

_20240830202101.jpg.b51df4984d4acac5f8c9974f29853348.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Visited our favourite fresh fish shop, this was Monkfish, I hadn’t had it prior and found it to be a good white meaty fish…cooked it with a sweet and sour sauce with the coral off some fresh scallops we had for lunch ( see lunch thread ). Australian asparagus is in the shops and I’m pleased about that. 

962FF9FA-5489-4709-8C48-20D7E7EEFCE2.jpeg.9066707694d53bb0334c5cb125b4d86a.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

It was Pizza Night yesterday.
ItalianSausageandMushroomPizzaAugust30th20241.thumb.jpg.94a95e1e62e4c33ca084bfb6de26573e.jpg

Italian sausage and mushroom.
Dough had been in the fridge since Monday night.
Pulled out of the fridge at noon yesterday.
Rather than use the OONI I decided to make a larger size pizza in the oven using Jim Lahey's method of baking using the broiler with the stone just 6" or 8" from the broiler.
I actually like this method.
As I was sliding the pizza off the peel on to the stone, I realized that the pizza was a little bit too big and would hang off the back edge
ItalianSausageandMushroomPizzaAugust30th2024.thumb.jpg.546bdd40dbd003df00a8495cac65022b.jpg
so I pulled it slightly so it lost its round shape, but stayed on the stone.
The stone is 20" long but only 13" wide. Pizza was over 15".
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 6

Congratulations on your 51 years anniversary, @Ann_T. Beautiful steak!

We celebrated our 58th on the 29th. Just the 2 of us for supper. Picked up bone-in strip loins on sale at our local Co-Op and some beautiful corn and new taters my niece dropped off. Tossed on a couple of shrimp, and it was our Surf and Turf.

SurfTurfAnniversarysupper6362.jpg.889409235630d2532bd202537972a163.jpg

One of our Chinese elders gave me a beautiful bittermelon from her garden.Stuffed that and a couple of bell peppers with ground chicken, pan fried then quick braised in black bean garlic sauce. Eaten with Jasmine rice.

StuffedBitternMelonBellPeppers6353.jpg.63ea4709847d9ae457f08c8ac43325b5.jpg

Beginning of fall work out in the flower beds. Was happy to have had this small pork butt roast in the freezer. Thawed, rubbed with whole grain Dijon mustard and fresh roasemary. Roasted while I cleaned-up more garden stuff. Thawed a bag of frozen mixed veg and sauteed them in the roast pan juice. A new potato and the usual container of apple sauce!

RosemaryPorkButt6365.jpg.9c2cc46468d1e525c46ea209c29f2946.jpgRosemaryPorkButt6367.jpg.126e49b104b28bbdf15de76621246386.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hemingway Burgers with black garlic aioli, side of potatoes cooked sous vide, with cheese on top, finished under the broiler.

IMG_20240831_192809.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

I have tri tip envy. It is not a cut that is available here. My Mom used to buy something called a shellbone roast which was triangular in shape and very beefy. I asked a butcher about tri tip once and he said there is no demand for it here. I suggested that that was perhaps due to lack of marketing - he shrugged.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have tri tip envy. It is not a cut that is available here. My Mom used to buy something called a shellbone roast which was triangular in shape and very beefy. I asked a butcher about tri tip once and he said there is no demand for it here. I suggested that that was perhaps due to lack of marketing - he shrugged.

Costco has had it here. 

And wild fork has it on the internet 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Sometime in the late 1980's I asked a butcher in Duluth, Minnesota for a tri-tip. He looked at me quizzically: "Are you from California?"

That's how localized the cut was at the time. Now, tri-tip is readily available in Minnesota...but I can believe that it still hasn't reached your part of the continent.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I wonder what they do with it. Too good to waste

Do they perhaps sell rump cap? That's basically the back part of a full tri tip. Also known as picana but they probably don't know about that. My beef guy sells the front part without the fat cap but the rump cap with the thick fat on one side.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

Costco has had it here. 

And wild fork has it on the internet 

I saw it at my Costco yesterday and was so tempted. But with it just me now, I fear I'd end up eating a tiny bit, freezing the rest ad tossing a freezer-burned mess in 1 year. I need to find a new system of cooking/eating/storing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Deb

Liberty, MO