• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Bo kho, probably my favorite stew ever. Started by toasting whole spices for 5-spice powder. Gosh the kitchen smelled nice.

Bo kho ingredients. Beef chuck, star anise, Thai basil, and carrots not pictured.

Bo kho and jasmine rice

Quick-pickled bean sprouts and carrots with cilantro.

I looked up a recipe for that. I want to try it.  I expect I'll have to order on line some of the ingredients.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I looked up a recipe for that. I want to try it.  I expect I'll have to order on line some of the ingredients.

I am also a huge fan of bo kho. I made Andrea Nguyen's recipe from Vietnamese Food Everyday last year, and it was wonderful. Here is a link to the recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Clean-out-the-fridge fried rice with chorizo, long beans, Shiitake mushrooms, red bell pepper, Anaheim and habanero chiles, white onion, garlic, fish sauce, and an egg, topped with leftover quick-pickled bean sprouts and carrots. The only thing there wasn't much of was . . . rice!  :laugh:

Fried_rice_202406.thumb.jpg.4651262365c7d663950f968427c12351.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

I was going to make Chicken Perigord for dinner tonight which requires stuffing mushroom duxelles
under the skin of boneless chicken breasts.
I had two chicken breasts that I had boned and left the wings attached.
But I needed to go shopping because I didn't have the mushrooms.
Decided that I really didn't feel like going out today. So I didn't.
RoastChickenBreastwithWingJune3rd20244.thumb.jpg.a158a110e0a305563578cce6a10d503d.jpg
Neither of us was overly hungry, so I roasted just one of the chicken breasts.
RoastChickenBreastwithWingJune3rd20241.thumb.jpg.d9be8b6c4c2b13c3772beb791a1acde9.jpg
Dinner was simple. Moe had Roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and frozen peas.
RoastChickenBreastwithWingJune3rd20243.thumb.jpg.12117507b6945526a525fcd54a9f09b4.jpg
I had a bowl of mashed potatoes and lots of gravy and a slice of the chicken.
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

On 6/2/2024 at 4:20 PM, KennethT said:

A question about sanitation - I'm sure I've asked this before, but a long time ago.  From what I understand, tap water in your area (or most of Asia in general) isn't potable.  How do most people wash things meant to be eaten raw (although I understand that most people don't eat raw veggies there)?  Do you use boiled then cooled water or bottled water?  Or do you use normal tap thinking that the amount of water that clings to the vegetable to be negligible and thus safe to eat?

When we lived in India, the water in our area was quite bad. It wasn't even piped, but trucked through the city and pumped into plastic tanks on the roof of the building, that were never cleaned, etc etc.. Brown water was not uncommon. Getting ill from the water was also not uncommon for tourists.

We had three small children with us, and as you do, you always remind them to wash their hands before they eat. I commented often that it's kind of ironic telling them that to be healthy, they need to wash their hands - with water that will make them sick. And this was enough years ago that hand sanitizer wasn't sitting on every table and in every purse. 

For us, we used a RO filtration system that filled a small tank, and would use that for all cooking needs. Veggies would get rinsed first in 'regular' water to get dirt and bugs off, then rinsed in RO water to get the regular water off...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

4 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

When we lived in India, the water in our area was quite bad. It wasn't even piped, but trucked through the city and pumped into plastic tanks on the roof of the building, that were never cleaned, etc etc.. Brown water was not uncommon. Getting ill from the water was also not uncommon for tourists.

We had three small children with us, and as you do, you always remind them to wash their hands before they eat. I commented often that it's kind of ironic telling them that to be healthy, they need to wash their hands - with water that will make them sick. And this was enough years ago that hand sanitizer wasn't sitting on every table and in every purse. 

For us, we used a RO filtration system that filled a small tank, and would use that for all cooking needs. Veggies would get rinsed first in 'regular' water to get dirt and bugs off, then rinsed in RO water to get the regular water off...

Thanks for this.  I've often had the same thought about washing hands with disease ridden water.  Nowadays, we use sanitizing wipes which clean off dirt and soil as well as bacteria.  The only problem is that no normal hand sanitizer is effective on norovirus.

I have everything in this house needed to make meatloaf. Did I make one? Nope. I bought one from my local milkman. I am definitely getting lazy in my old age. It is quite tasty and I did not think $9.99 was a bad price for an 18 oz meatloaf that was ready to pop into the oven. I roasted some potatoes and brussels sprouts to go with it. While I was prepping that, my neighbor popped over with a couple of croissants that their daughter (who owns a bakery) left for me.  I had one later with the Peaches & Cream cream cheese from Trader Joe's.

image.thumb.png.5435680e09068ea7b5bd3628ac0b899b.png

image.thumb.png.d93caad28177239938902e565bd463f9.png

image.thumb.png.356cd5dfc1733c531f3b7258f2826fbf.png

image.thumb.png.b60dcb139f05fa0607984b9638b6a273.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

Here I am, back in Atlanta. We are trying to do a lot of shopping and cotoking for our daughter's family:she's easy and appreciates most everything. Her husband not so much. He's a protein fiend, won't eat a vegetarian meal EVER. The twins turn three on Sunday, and they are getting pickier by the minute. Hard to please them all is putting it mildly, but we are trying. Patience with food inflexibility is not my strong suit. The kids get a pass, but my son-in-law is making me want to jump off a bridge. 

So it's back to the International Farmer's Market in Decatur. Amazing to me, there's fresh Georgia corn already; I guess I'm used to having to wait til July or August for good corn in the Bay Area. This was super fresh and super sweet. The bacon from the butcher counter is delicious. Also available were what was labeled snap beans, which I've never encountered before. They're definitely different from Blue Lakes. The internet was little help, most sites considered green beans, string beans and snap beans as interchangeable. Green beans and strignbeans are the same in my book, but not these. Anyway I cooked them long and slow with a little bacon, chopped fresh tomato, white wine, etc. The snap beans were very tasty. The beans and the corn made a fabulous dinner for me, so to please my SIL we bought a variety of sausages which were grilled by my daughter on a George Forman. A strange appliance if ever there was one. These overwhelmed working parents have a charcoal grill which they predictably don't use; it's in an annoying location and these are children who don't wait....for much of anything.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

I finally found a cut of beef here that is fairly decent so I decided to make Rou jia mo. I followed the recipe from @liuzhou exactly except for the peppers which I can't use because of the allergy issues.

20240604_154139.thumb.jpg.5fce8cd3c646d54921cea4858d53a2cd.jpg

I made the buns which don't look perfect but turned out great.

20240605_073719.thumb.jpg.ec373328c9d4623eb01000ab12a1b638.jpg

I'm still taking advantage of the asparagus that I have been able to find recently. Added some sliced tomatoes which are excellent down here year round, with watermelon on the side, not shown.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 11

Posted (edited)

@Paul Bacino

looks delicious.

I have those same pots

somewhere , in a secret place , known only to the pots

that certainly dates me .   maybe that style is still current .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Caldo de mariscos with halibut and Dungeness crab. Toasted guajillo chiles, sauteed onion and garlic, and crushed tomato, all blended, strained, and then sauteed. Simmered with chicken and lobster stock, potatoes, long beans, and epazote.  Thai basil and a squeeze of lime in the bowl.

I am trying to use up the Dungeness crab meat, which is all claw meat and little stringy bits. We can get far, far better blue crab meat locally. Anyway, I would have used shrimp but shockingly, we were out.

Caldo_mariscos_202406-2.thumb.jpg.878f768c4fe23c7a595bd5966cf2de86.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Grilled shrimp pasta salad over arugula, dressing a simple lemon/olive oil/dijon/fresh garlic

shrimppastasalad.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

I found the smallest whole brisket I've ever seen yesterday and cooked it today. It still took 8 hours though. We had BBQ beans and Viniagrette Coleslaw and cherry BBQ sauce with it.  Charlie wants it chopped up, mixed with BBQ sauce and served on a bun with cheese and the coleslaw for a sandwich tomorrow. 

IMG_1631.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1