• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

I'm jealous of anyone at any price that can get anything delivered.  I can only do things like Goldbelly.  Never can I order in here....and there are sure days that I would take even a really crappy pizza.

• Sad 2

Last evening in Tokyo - went out for a nice Izakaya …

IMG_9828.thumb.jpeg.378ad0ed2fda367ba66fac50be1d9062.jpeg

The otoshi: a „free“ starter (included in you cover charge). Seafood bisque korokke. Very light, very delicate …

IMG_9809.thumb.jpeg.483088c558490171d4baaa6677d812f7.jpeg

Plus the „usual“ Hibiki highball …

IMG_9810.thumb.jpeg.e5c893cdee5df2eb6f78a3b0544fd46f.jpeg

Mixed sashimi …

IMG_9814.thumb.jpeg.e1a7d95e5fa7fb0d2fdaf606639dab49.jpeg

Followed by  a dry sake …

IMG_9815.thumb.jpeg.cdb6f22e2741672508bc3d94d3c81811.jpeg

Very seasonal: grilled young fava beans in their pods. Think edamame on steroids …

IMG_9818.thumb.jpeg.189d3b84eb906e27b89aeceb54a02a45.jpeg

Equally seasonal: Aji (horse mackarel), sliced finely and mixed with a chunky white miso. You make little packets with the nori …

IMG_9819.thumb.jpeg.9511cf7ef8590da9c4f7573d74b55f7f.jpeg

The suggested accompanying sake was from Niigata and very fruity …

IMG_9821.thumb.jpeg.587f4e8debacd28e45ae93c88c430eab.jpeg

Advertised as buri (yellowtail) collar, but from my table I could see the broiler and that they give you the whole head …

IMG_9820.thumb.jpeg.3598cd9824676ef7d49a45321d5755d4.jpeg

IMG_9824.thumb.jpeg.1c52736222462e80f6d16f7d9a747d50.jpeg

According to Japanese, the sweetest meat is around the eyes and who I am to argue …

IMG_9825.thumb.jpeg.031e92d163e9346d4813235b3e75ae20.jpeg

Nice conclusion to a busy, yet rewarding trip 🤗

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Just when asparagus season is winding down in my garden, garlic scapes are showing up.

Made smoked ribs, grilled pine apple and watermelon rind, on garlic scapes.

dcarch

ravolishrimpsgarlicscapes2023.thumb.jpg.09847a19a782442314ca5f9d115c1bf4.jpg

smokedribspineapplegarlicscapes2023_aJPG.thumb.jpg.0309c90100f9da3fe5f9db798274d5bb.jpg

smokedribspineapplegarlicscapes2023.thumb.JPG.b7252899e91e73a74ee6a7c2399a1660.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

@Duvel 

is it a ' feature ' to almost overfill the sake glasses, yet not spill any ?

do y0u then slurp up  the little dish after drinking the sake ?

how big were those glasses ?

did you crawl back to your hotel ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

You're not gonna let it go to waste!! (I tend to pour the overfill back into the glass).

Great looking meals, @Duvel.  How about some restaurant names?

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, Duvel said:

The otoshi: a „free“ starter (included in you cover charge). Seafood bisque korokke. Very light, very delicate …

IMG_9809.thumb.jpeg.483088c558490171d4baaa6677d812f7.jpeg

It all looks delicious, but this one especially catches my eye, given your description. If you can remember (after all that sake!) what was the interior like? Runny, like a bisque, or more solid? If you were to try making this, how would you go about it?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

It all looks delicious, but this one especially catches my eye, given your description. If you can remember (after all that sake!) what was the interior like? Runny, like a bisque, or more solid? If you were to try making this, how would you go about it?

I'll let @Duvel answer specifically, but here's an idea of how to make korokke in general...https://www.justonecookbook.com/korokke-croquette/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

is it a ' feature ' to almost overfill the sake glasses, yet not spill any ?

how big were those glasses ?

did you crawl back to your hotel ?

Yes, it’s a sign of generosity to „overpour“. One cup sake is one go or 180 mL. When you are casually drinking it’s ok to utilize the overpour In many Izakayas they use a wooden square box to but the glass in. I find drinking the overpour (is that a word ?!) from that wooden box pleasant …

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

The filling was basically a very delicate bechamel sauce, made from a light seafood bisque. I assume they use the same technique as the Spanish and cool/partially freeze the filling before coating and frying.

My drinking companions (all Japanese) tried to pick up the korokke with chopsticks - and made a huge mess, as it was an almost liquid filling in a fragile shell. I just used my fingers 🤗

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

@Duvel 

wow  

Ive been to interesting  food places 

those that are right in front of me 

and id turn in .

lots of places ,   id say not more than 

what they are 

but the best of what they are doing .

but nothing ,  in the Japanese style

of small places 

that do those tasty grilled 

tasty stuff .

Good for you  to enjoy them .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 10:12 AM, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie made out the menu for dinner last night.  I still was the one who got the pots and pans dirty though.  He asked for grilled chicken, mac&cheese, a salad and French fries.   For for dessert he wanted something either Little Debbie or Hostess. I got some of both and he put them away for later.

I meant to respond to this earlier. Charlie's dessert choice reminded me of a rom-com scenario where the planned big spectacle cake for an event gets destroyed by the dog. The boyfriemd says he'll fix it. He goes to dollar store and gets boxes of Hostess twinkies and creates a lovely cake tower and the guests rave. They sense something fsmilir that makes them happy but can't put their finger on the exact taste ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 6/1/2023 at 11:12 AM, Norm Matthews said:

Little Debbie or Hostess.

It made me think of a very early thread that I read the other day about redneck party food. They had a recipe for Twinkie tiramisu. It sounded rather ghastly but reading the thread in its entirety made me realize just how much redneck food I like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went to the Korean store today and got everything for dinner.  The only thing I made was the marinade for the beef spare ribs.  I got there early enough to watch the lady make the kim bob. I never noticed before but she has a machine to roll it up and heat it and another machine to slice it.  The sides were pickled radish, green onion and Nappa cabbage.  The other meat was spicy pork bulgogi

IMG_0951.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

I begin to wonder if I will ever cook again. Child A is trying to lose weight and therefore is eating little but fruit. And I’m damned if I’m going to cook just for myself.

I think dinner tonight will be grilled cheese with bacon. The marinara and meatballs can wait til next week.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

55 minutes ago, kayb said:

I begin to wonder if I will ever cook again. Child A is trying to lose weight and therefore is eating little but fruit. And I’m damned if I’m going to cook just for myself.

I think dinner tonight will be grilled cheese with bacon. The marinara and meatballs can wait til next week.

I say happily embrace the glorious freedom of only having to please yourself. I cook just for me and my taste and I cook or re-purpse cook every day. It's fun. 

• Like 9