• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I love this but haven't made it in quite a while     Thanks for the reminder.   

Exciting part was making my first successful creme fraiche.    In the country, 83F kitchen, 24 hour incubation -> perfect texture and flavor.    Efforts in 68F San Francisco kitchen have been consistent failures.   

eGullet member #80.

20 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Exciting part was making my first successful creme fraiche.    In the country, 83F kitchen, 24 hour incubation -> perfect texture and flavor.    Efforts in 68F San Francisco kitchen have been consistent failures.   

Did you use the 1% Buttermilk or the 3.5%?

@Shelby – thank you, ma’am!  It is such a great way to do fried chicken.  Another big plus is that it doesn’t burn in the skillet the way it does when I cook it from raw.  The pieces rest on the bottom and always get a little too-dark spot.  Have you ever added some rice flour to the flour mixture?  I thought about trying that next time.  I tried mixing in some of the egg wash into the flour mixture after the initial dredge and dipping the pieces in to get some “scraggly” pieces, but thought they were a little too bready.  I’m wondering if the rice flour might prevent that?  All of your meals look so good – I could eat that broccoli salad every week – but what I kept going back to and looking at was that panini!!! 

@rotuts – your ragu and egg noodles looks so delicious and comfort food-ish!  How I’d love to dig into a big bowl of that.  I love using egg noodles with marinara or meat sauces – they are so tender and “slippy”. 

@Ann_T – those are absolutely GORGEOUS pizzas!  Margherita pizzas are my favorite, but I think I’d love the one that Matt put together, too!  

Night before last was salad and take and bake pizza from Aldi:

1-IMG_3778.jpg.e88459f61ffc756ffcfa4d909f4e4655.jpg

1-IMG_3777.jpg.b0e93aed72ad542afb670d32306ce74f.jpg

Pizza tasted good – but the crust was a little “crackery”. 

Last night Mr. Kim did some Hot and Fast Chicken on the smoker:

1-Attachment.jpg.1cec5a685dfc536f8444eba7c5f7b99d.jpg

They looked gorgeous and the taste was perfect:

1-Attachment-1.jpg.e23e986356b809c44dff68840fcd8ed9.jpg

The rub flavor is where he wants it, and the smoke level was exactly right.  He’s doing some research because we felt like the skin was still a little flabby (a common problem with smoked chicken) and it was a bit undercooked even though the temperature was right (170F for the breast and 185F for the leg quarter).  But the flavor was lovely! 

Served with stir fried snow peas and bean sprouts, Stove Top (with a little Bisto), smashed potatoes, and some leftover asparagus for Mr. Kim:

1-IMG_3787.thumb.jpg.80a03b5570a0c55095f3cb3f9bee2b53.jpg

And a salad:

1-IMG_3786.thumb.jpg.1ed2e186904efb8c28dacc1a9c921b2a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

@Kim Shook 

Id like to offer Mr. Kim 

a place to look to , for ideas on Chicken 

possibly in any way that involves 1/2 bird , possible quarter birds :

it come from the Master : Jacques Pepin.  and a video 

on roasting or baking similar hunks of whole its chicken.

he made an incision , I think in two places 

that opened up that area to more through cooking .

Id not like to give Mr.Kim in accurate information 

but Im thinking @weinoo would be better suited to fine this vid.

that might help w the ' done-ness '  

what temp was the smoker set at ?  and for how long ?

always interested in new effective cooking

cheers

• Like 1

@heidih 

thank you.  fine video

and a new tip for me

what was thinking about

was probably a whole chicken 

where there where two cuts :

one probably in the wing area

probably in the thickest part :

where the wing joined the whole chicken

and similarly , for the leg

probably not at the leg//thigh jpoint

but maybe

or the thigh // chicken joint,

love the new information 

might go back to chicken thighs 

ski on 

in a table wine + cream of mushroom soup 

baked ib 

these days 

the CSO.

Fabulous meals to catch up drooling about! @Kim ShookThat char siu is spot on!
WE have not been starving, but it's been a busy place, everything in disarray as our 2-story cedar house was being sanded and stained. Nearly done after 2 weeks, sometimes stalled by extreme temperatures then major thunderstorms.

I have bee planting, planting, planting flowers, but nothing can be moved into place, along with all the statues, etc until all the painting is done.
Some meals the last while:

Had the 8 and 11 year old granddaughters up one day. Good grief! They DO love perogies and steak. They each devoured 12 perogies and steak

Perogiesandsteak1047.jpg.30f8f9b3b77968c4913208537d3d39e4.jpg

Got some fresh asparagus from a Hutterite colony not far from us. Blanched them, sauteed in butter, then topped with toasted nuts, seeds etc: Went well with Shake and Bake BBQ chicken legs

Chickenasparagus1116.jpg.8465c27cc78b6d7ddbeec461aa24582f.jpg

Too hot to BBQ, possible? With good A/C in the house, cooked up low and slow, some pork ribs. Corn looked too ripe but was actually really tender and sweet.

RibsandCorn1094.jpg.6462f10c386ff58c4092a049f9236a0f.jpg

Love one wok meals when I am busy. Local supermarket had lovely bitter melon - a favourite for hubby and me.  Black bean garlic beef & bitter melon

BitterMelon1087.jpg.52b442697abf208f007f4cb588b3bb10.jpg

Pickerel and vegetables stir-fry:

PiclerelVeg1066.jpg.d1d13d7aba8bf7e7e0ec63d2fd469c1d.jpg

Daughter-in-law was away on a Outdoor Women Weekend where she was going archery, fire arms, and butchering! She brought back lovely lamb and shared some shank meat with us. I did a curry in the IP:

CurryLambShanks1121.jpg.aa827b05b57f8c09598b287d0c1e7f7e.jpg

Last night: Hamburger steak with onion, mushroom, green peppercorn gravy. Comfort food with mashed taters!

HamburgerOnions1140.jpg.42726c257e8a4c6e4f7c77e189904dcc.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Could you elaborate on that, please ? 

It is a Meera Sodha recipe from her cookbook Fresh India.  Basically, it's basmati rice toasted in butter then cooked with a cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and a few whole cloves plus salt.  When it's cooked you stir in chopped dates, pistachios, and apricots.  I cook the dried fruits along with my rice, which is why the rice looks dark.  It makes the fruits very tender, but if you do it her way the rice stays nice and white.  She also calls for you to drizzle soaked saffron over the rice at the end, but I don't bother doing that.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

what was thinking about

was probably a whole chicken 

where there where two cuts :

I'll look for that video later, when I get a chance, @rotuts. Unless someone else finds it before me, essentially it was cuts where the wing joins the body and where the leg/thigh join the backbone, if memory serves me correctly.

Tonight, I'm going to this event...https://www.nationalartsclub.org/default.aspx?p=.NETEventView&ID=3865575&qfilter=&title=&type=0&ssid=323204&chgs=

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

“Indian” themed dinner …

Raita, yellow lentil dhal, palak paneer, pickled chili cukes, lamb curry and freshly made garlic naan …

IMG_9903.thumb.jpeg.fb002e230d4235b5f1345316b76f91f1.jpeg

Enjoyed with an IPA (see what I did there 😝 ?)

IMG_9901.thumb.jpeg.f4406d137e04a60d98c331622275910d.jpeg

Little one had different plans and got onigiri, topped with smoked salmon & kewpie, torched, and some furikake …

IMG_9905.thumb.jpeg.0de29b07ac6d635e7fbbea70fee6fee5.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

TopSirloinSteakdinnerJune16th20234.thumb.jpg.91d37637e8d02e66f75f44c26a6bcd9e.jpg
Another worknight dinner that came together quickly.
As soon as I got home I got started by peeling the potatoes and getting them on to cook.
Seasoned Sterling Silver top sirloin steaks.
One of our favourite roasts is the Sterling Silver top sirloin and the steak didn't disappoint. Tender and full of flavour.
When the potatoes were almost cooked, I started cooking the steaks. Pan seared in a hot cast iron pan with a little olive oil and butter.
Used the ricer to "mash" the potatoes with butter and cream.
TopSirloinSteakdinnerJune16th20232.thumb.jpg.048d865bdc6e55020c043bee87de29e2.jpg

While the steak was resting, fried the mushrooms , also in a cast iron pan. I picked the chard from the garden and sauted with butter and a little garlic.
There was enough drippings , with the addition of a little more butter to make a roux , added beef broth and a sprig of rosemary and simmered the gravy for a few minutes.
We were eating in 50 minutes after I walked in the door.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5

5 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
TopSirloinSteakdinnerJune16th20234.thumb.jpg.91d37637e8d02e66f75f44c26a6bcd9e.jpg
Another worknight dinner that came together quickly.
As soon as I got home I got started by peeling the potatoes and getting them on to cook.
Seasoned Sterling Silver top sirloin steaks.
One of our favourite roasts is the Sterling Silver top sirloin and the steak didn't disappoint. Tender and full of flavour.
When the potatoes were almost cooked, I started cooking the steaks. Pan seared in a hot cast iron pan with a little olive oil and butter.
Used the ricer to "mash" the potatoes with butter and cream.
TopSirloinSteakdinnerJune16th20232.thumb.jpg.048d865bdc6e55020c043bee87de29e2.jpg

While the steak was resting, fried the mushrooms , also in a cast iron pan. I picked the chard from the garden and sauted with butter and a little garlic.
There was enough drippings , with the addition of a little more butter to make a roux , added beef broth and a sprig of rosemary and simmered the gravy for a few minutes.
We were eating in 50 minutes after I walked in the door.

@Ann_T I don't see how you do it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Ann_T I don't see how you do it.

Nutritional yeast? I wake up at 3 am just like she does, but do I get out of bed and do something useful? I do not. When I finally come down for breakfast I can barely butter my own toast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Lazy Friday: picked up some boxes of sushi …

IMG_9911.thumb.jpeg.0e380edd62e5546085091c043afcc032.jpeg

IMG_9912.thumb.jpeg.65b139823b7e78e742b690b74c4859a6.jpeg

It’s ok-ish. Some of the big rolls are not too popular in my family, so I started to top them with kewpie, broil/torch them and add a bit furikake. Adds moisture & umami and makes them pretty quickly disappear 🤗

IMG_9913.thumb.jpeg.416a00c6446abdf2075ab8b74f2f2c9f.jpeg

Plus some soba in cold mentsuyu, with an 4 min egg and sesame/spring onion topping …

IMG_9910.thumb.jpeg.9bd0f5010c954064de90596ead1dfce9.jpeg

No complaints 😉

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2