• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Our dinner last night, at a quite new restaurant on Avenue A, was quite wonderful.

Started with a quick half-dozen oysters...

IMG_9498.thumb.jpeg.07e9a4229241d2752069d1c1bc0db74c.jpeg

That house mignonette is sumac based - quite interesting. In the background, house-made sourdough and cultured butter. We had one each of the mignonette, one each of the house-made hot sauce, and one with lemon. Moved onto some crudo:

IMG_9500.thumb.jpeg.b09de66a2e3fcfbf4ca3503c5ff25837.jpeg

Crudo of red sea bream (from Japan) and on top, salt cod.  Fermeted tomatoes and smoked olive oil round out the plate.

And then a plate of the sea...

IMG_9504.thumb.jpeg.b9c0a8365179660778d46a2897dcc81b.jpeg

Possibly more percebes than I have eaten in my entire life. @Duvel!! Fresh from the NW Iberian Peninsula, and oh so good. Tastes like the sea. The clean sea.

IMG_9506.thumb.jpeg.4dcf4b58e9e500189e15c39586a3311c.jpeg

For my main course...

IMG_9507.thumb.jpeg.941e01c5ae35600d5a68b1268b5b60e5.jpeg

A spectacular, wood-oven roasted, aged quail. So perfectly cooked. Spring alliums and carrots alongside (it was all about the quail though.) Significant Eater had her goat - smoked low and slow, served with yogurt sauce, pistachios, crisped up house-made pita made from their sourdough discard...two fantastic mains. 

Desserts were also had, but no pix so I'm not telling. (There were two gelati; white-asparagus, and tahini.)

OK, where the hell was this???  How are prices?  Oh what I would do for some percebes.  Best percebes ever was at Etxebarri in Spain - grilled percebes over their custom charcoal was amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

OK, where the hell was this???  How are prices?  Oh what I would do for some percebes.  Best percebes ever was at Etxebarri in Spain - grilled percebes over their custom charcoal was amazing.

I'e read often about the percebes and the harvesting culture. Can you describe the taste and how they are eaten?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Our dinner last night, at a quite new restaurant on Avenue A, was quite wonderful.

Started with a quick half-dozen oysters...

IMG_9498.thumb.jpeg.07e9a4229241d2752069d1c1bc0db74c.jpeg

That house mignonette is sumac based - quite interesting. In the background, house-made sourdough and cultured butter. We had one each of the mignonette, one each of the house-made hot sauce, and one with lemon. Moved onto some crudo:

IMG_9500.thumb.jpeg.b09de66a2e3fcfbf4ca3503c5ff25837.jpeg

Crudo of red sea bream (from Japan) and on top, salt cod.  Fermeted tomatoes and smoked olive oil round out the plate.

And then a plate of the sea...

IMG_9504.thumb.jpeg.b9c0a8365179660778d46a2897dcc81b.jpeg

Possibly more percebes than I have eaten in my entire life. @Duvel!! Fresh from the NW Iberian Peninsula, and oh so good. Tastes like the sea. The clean sea.

IMG_9506.thumb.jpeg.4dcf4b58e9e500189e15c39586a3311c.jpeg

For my main course...

IMG_9507.thumb.jpeg.941e01c5ae35600d5a68b1268b5b60e5.jpeg

A spectacular, wood-oven roasted, aged quail. So perfectly cooked. Spring alliums and carrots alongside (it was all about the quail though.) Significant Eater had her goat - smoked low and slow, served with yogurt sauce, pistachios, crisped up house-made pita made from their sourdough discard...two fantastic mains. 

Desserts were also had, but no pix so I'm not telling. (There were two gelati; white-asparagus, and tahini.)

This has to be one of the all time OMG dinner posts.   While I'm incredibly jealous, I'm happy that you will have the memory of this feast.   Thanks much for the vicarious ride.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Gulf shrimp and Conecuh sausage over Dixie Lily yellow grits.  The sauce was made with shrimp stock, butter, fresh corn, tomatoes, serrano peppers, and green onions.

IMG_20230610_193258180_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.f41cc7a2be27c3bff26aea7d48a0cf75.jpg

I'll add a couple of desserts from the past week or two since I'm Jonesing for a little something sweet tonight.  Black bottom pie which has been a family favorite for 50+ years

IMG_20230522_114714343.thumb.jpg.986577380a4b916092c324c60a6acd4c.jpg

And amaretto white chocolate cheesecake with raspberry that has become another family favorite.

IMG_20230528_125411689.thumb.jpg.f44d0c749bf000c8260e419576ce1403.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 18

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

I'e read often about the percebes and the harvesting culture. Can you describe the taste and how they are eaten?

I've only had them the one time, so I'm no expert, but how the waitress taught us (actually showed us since she only spoke Basque) was that you pinch a small leathery part by the toenail and tear the leathery skin off then eat it like a popsicle.  It was tender and briny, but really hard to describe because it was like nothing else I've ever had.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I've only had them the one time, so I'm no expert, but how the waitress taught us (actually showed us since she only spoke Basque) was that you pinch a small leathery part by the toenail and tear the leathery skin off then eat it like a popsicle.  It was tender and briny, but really hard to describe because it was like nothing else I've ever had.

I get it. Thanks for the description effort. Id certainly r=try if ever presented with the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, heidih said:

From Mitch's link.
"Eating the percebes has, like with many seafood, a small instruction. To eat pull the end of the barnacle off the fleshy stems and then slurp up its fleshy insides. A pure sea taste, delicious!"

Bo proveito!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No photos but... Tonight we hosted our daughter's fiance's parents who live in Ontario, so about 3000 miles from us. First time we've met them. They arrived at our door with a 6-pack of Ontario wines for me and a 2-pack of artisinal whisky for my husband. So we got off to a great start.

I made baked lemon chicken, layered salad, broccoli and cheese and foccacia. Came time for dessert, a chocolate mousse tart with a pecan crust in a springform pan. I had taken it out of the springform so it was in the fridge on the base. Picked it up, turned around and if flew as far as it could until it hit the side of the island. I had local strawberries and whipped cream to go with it so that's what we had.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Seldom do I eat at a restaurant but my granddaughter is moving back to South Carolina:

CrispyTangerineFlounder06102023.jpg

Crispy Tangerine Flounder for my son.

LobsterEelAvocadoRoll06102023.jpg

Lobster, eel, avocado roll for me.

Sushi06102023.jpg

Sushi for my granddaughter.

SeaweedSalad06102023.jpg

Seaweed Salad for my granddaughter's girlfriend.

My daughter-in-law also had sushi, but by the time I got to her plate it was too late.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I had taken it out of the springform so it was in the fridge on the base. Picked it up, turned around and if flew as far as it could until it hit the side of the island. I had local strawberries and whipped cream to go with it so that's what we had.

I suspect we may be related...

• Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

Not far from you! 12th and A - Foxface Natural.  Percebes are never cheap, but I think these are basically being priced at cost, just because.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Paul Bacino 

interesting , always interesting :

so  , how did you cook this ?  

a braise ?   Gravy ?

interesting to me , the bacon was not 

inside the Roulade- ish package 

that's a new idea for me .

Ill keep that in mind .

that you 

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Not far from you! 12th and A - Foxface Natural.  Percebes are never cheap, but I think these are basically being priced at cost, just because.

I'm trying to look them up but I can only find an Instagram, etc. no website.  Do you mind giving me an example of the prices of various dishes - or at least a range of prices?

37 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Chicken Roulade-  w onion, garlic, sage, capers  in a bacon mattress

52966651869_7f36b1a2c9_b.jpg

Oops … I read that as “in a bacon mess” and was thinking: “wow - that looks pretty good … he’s so humble”. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm trying to look them up but I can only find an Instagram, etc. no website.  Do you mind giving me an example of the prices of various dishes - or at least a range of prices?

If you look them up on Yelp, there's only one review but if you click at the top to see all 24 photos, a user posted a menu from May 23. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Sunday night = pizza & movie night !

This time with pizza snails (because little one wanted some) …

IMG_9895.thumb.jpeg.54c5c6b94cf3a38fbf2acb4ee4e4ee00.jpeg

And the funky & funny Oni series by Netflix …

No complaints 🤗

I've never seen pizza Schnecken before. Do you pull a rectangle of regular pizza dough and spread with toppings, roll and coil?  I love that your son places requests because he knows you can deliver.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

I suspect we may be related...

Our biggest entertaining disaster was hosting my neice and her boyfriend. Husband made ribs. Carried them in on a platter from which pork fat/sauce dripped. He slipped, the platter went flying and when I went to assist, I also slipped. We laughed so hard we couldn't get up for a few minutes. We rinsed off the ribs, put them back on the BBQ, resauced and everyone was happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Two days ago I'd never heard of gyudon, then I saw what weinoo had posted in another universe.    So last night, our version, grilled baby bok choy with balsamic on the side. 

ScreenShot2023-06-11at4_54_47PM.thumb.png.92d72b68c801b447fa4598f9775fc664.png

Then read that Anna N had similar thoughts at lunch.    Hello, gyudon!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

eGullet member #80.

19 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Paul Bacino 

interesting , always interesting :

so  , how did you cook this ?  

a braise ?   Gravy ?

interesting to me , the bacon was not 

inside the Roulade- ish package 

that's a new idea for me .

Ill keep that in mind .

that you 

RT,

i had a combustion probe with it set to 140,  roasted in oven to crisp bacon   425F / approx   25 mins

PB

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels