• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

49 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

virtue impressed w your SV VR.

you've explained the tenderness in your second post.

I  used to go to Colorado one a year , for the obligatory meting.

but  really went for the Elk , farmed, at a particular restaurant.

tender juicy , on the rare side.  for fajitas.  loved the flavor

how does deer compare w elk ?  Id rather eat elk than beef.

on the old buck , 135 for 12 hours ?   don't be afraid of extra time at those lower temps.

Oh by far elk is my favorite.    IMO it's a bit milder than venison.  The meat is not as dark--or the elk that I have eaten isn't anyway.  It's been quite a long time since I've had an elk steak.....might have to pony up and see if I can find some online.  

Yes, I think the temp and time you mentioned would be what I would do for a tough roast.

• Like 1

This was a test for a Christmas Eve's dinner appetizer: Chia seeds and hazelnuts cracker, white miso emulsion, raw enoki mushrooms, shiso leaves and shichimi togarashi:

image.thumb.png.8312dc0d41f400522898fd0f26ef5d7f.png

Now that their season has just started here: Blanched small peas, burrata cheese, and the juice from the peas pods:

image.thumb.png.0bd0ee16dae0f50bb9d69b6923ec6d92.png

Edited by EnriqueB
Ortography corrections (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

We had a small family dinner for my Mom's 90th birthday yesterday. The menu was designed with items she likes and I was too busy to get more than a few photos.

First: Aged cheddar and chives biscuits with a bay scallop and clam chowder.

Main: Gnocchi with shrimp and last season's sugar snap and snow peas in a roasted tomato and pepper sauce. Green salad on the side.

Dessert: Birthday cheesecake (by request).

Held a little early so we could get her back to her retirement residence early.

DSCN1495.thumb.JPG.0f2ae5b3c5ff79e51e7c508a23954dd8.JPGDSCN1500.thumb.JPG.595ce170fb279dcf18f2478d7f306df7.JPGDSCN1503.thumb.JPG.ff2f7d79e75edd8ddc3b26782884a8f0.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I guess like most people, I don’t like to eat the same things on consecutive days (or even consecutive weeks), but today I made an exception.

Last night, I had 辣子鸡 (là zi jī ), Chongqing Chicken with Chillies and tonight I had 乐山辣子鸡铁板炒饭 (lè shān là zi jī tiě bǎn chǎo fàn), Leshan Chicken with Chillies Iron Plate Fried Rice. Chongqing is a city in China which used to be classified as part of Sichuan, but no longer. Leshan is a town in Sichuan famous for its 71-metre (233-feet) high Leshan Giant Buddha, the tallest in the world.

So basically two variations on the same Sichuan idea. The fried rice looked very different from last night’s dish, as if someone had picked out most of the chillies from the mound of chillies and added them to the fried rice, but the taste was all there. The chillies are not meant to be eaten anyway!

_20231220193307.thumb.jpg.10ec04ebeaf02c519e53e6fb8b1b959b.jpg

leshan-giant-buddha-960x625.jpg.e58740d4c96d4eefb0c47bfa40dc08ce.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Recent dinners:

Italian sausage cooked on the grill with stewed tomatoes, snap peas and garlic bread:

italian-sausage.jpg.4660dd7427dc220641be3cb1d8111eef.jpg

Sirloin, cooked SV then seared with baked potato and snap peas.  Made the potato a new way for me - in the Ninja Speedi on Steam Crisp.  35 minutes to a perfect baker - creamy inside with crisp skin.  Butter added after the pic was taken.

steak-pot-sp.jpg.5f75ec392689e847f0d590d3c6523ad7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Variations on a theme…veggies and pasta.  Maccheroni  with sautéed onions, garlic, broad beans and tomatoes. Added a little Njuda to get our  taste buds  attention and topped with toasted breadcrumbs .  Breadcrumbs were ground up Pepperidge Farm dry herb stuffing mix  @rotuts.toasted with a little olive oil.

Desert was Financiers with a chocolate ganache center and chocolate flakes.

IMG_5257.jpeg

IMG_5256.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Hot mess of a dinner last night.

IMG_1202.thumb.jpeg.1561768961e7014b174648ec25a59fcf.jpeg

Not bad looking here, striped bass roasted on top of par-roasted potatoes, with thyme, lemon, olive oil. 

Plated is a whole other story...

IMG_1204.thumb.jpeg.24455e9be152919aeac8f47abe5f4a83.jpeg

With well-cooked broccoli raab.

Ugly delicious.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Hot mess of a dinner last night.

IMG_1202.thumb.jpeg.1561768961e7014b174648ec25a59fcf.jpeg

Not bad looking here, striped bass roasted on top of par-roasted potatoes, with thyme, lemon, olive oil. 

Plated is a whole other story...

IMG_1204.thumb.jpeg.24455e9be152919aeac8f47abe5f4a83.jpeg

With well-cooked broccoli raab.

Ugly delicious.

That looks delicious - plating is over-rated on the day to day.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 4

Here’s an oddity but a good one. It was described as American yet is redolent of the spices of Sichuan. Or perhaps they mean the crayfish are American in that they were introduced from America after the European varieties, Astacus fluviatilis were nearly wiped out by a plague in the 19th and 20th centuries then moved eastwards from there. That said there are crayfish native to China, in the Cambaroides family, so who knows?

美国小龙虾饭 [麻辣] (měi guó xiǎo lóng xiā fàn [má là]), American crayfish over rice [spicy].

The crayfish are cooked in a Sichuan ma la sauce with chilli and Sichuan peppercorns and served with 土豆丝 (tǔ dòu sī) potato slivers stir fried and finished with rice wine vinegar. Also some greens and served over rice.

xiaolongxia.thumb.jpg.dd37885786b5670ea47dbfab736cc386.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 12/17/2023 at 10:34 PM, Duvel said:

IMG_5880.thumb.jpeg.1d629fe7a0b401079c3493d54fec08f6.jpeg

The whole meal sounds great. And I learned something new (never heard of Feuerzangenbowle until just now).

But what caught my eye is my knife - I've been using a pair of those Globals for coming up on 17 years now.

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@liuzhou, I'm sure you wish you were able to cook, but damn you have the best take out food ever.

Didn't cook last night.  Had a take out pizza from a new place. Disappointing.

WingsandHomemadePotatoChipsDecember19th20232.thumb.jpg.cb535576b430384c262ced2da545413d.jpg

We had wings Tuesday night.

WingsandHomemadePotatoChipsDecember19th2023.thumb.jpg.36962f397c53d492147759d0d266ef50.jpg

Started in the oven and finished on the grill, and homemade potato chips.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@liuzhou, I'm sure you wish you were able to cook, but damn you have the best take out food ever.

Didn't cook last night.  Had a take out pizza from a new place. Disappointing.

WingsandHomemadePotatoChipsDecember19th20232.thumb.jpg.cb535576b430384c262ced2da545413d.jpg

We had wings Tuesday night.

WingsandHomemadePotatoChipsDecember19th2023.thumb.jpg.36962f397c53d492147759d0d266ef50.jpg

Started in the oven and finished on the grill, and homemade potato chips.

Gorgeous wings.  What type of dipping sauce is that?

4 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

But what caught my eye is my knife - I've been using a pair of those Globals for coming up on 17 years now.

Yeah … it’s a workhorse. I bought in actually in Japan - funny enough also 17 years ago 🤗

I will get a new (additional) one this Christmas. Bought it in May when visiting Japan as a double pack (larger & smaller one), and Santa will present those to little one and me, so we can cook together 🤭

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I will get a new (additional) one this Christmas. Bought it in May when visiting Japan as a double pack (larger & smaller one), and Santa will present those to little one and me, so we can cook together 🤭

I gifted my own son a chef's knife, slicer and paring knife of his own when he was in high school and I was in culinary school. They weren't in that same ballpark for quality (the commercial yellow-handle Henckels used in so many restaurant kitchens) but he was still pretty proud. He was in the cooking class at his school because they'd had the bright idea of splitting the traditional "Home Ec" into two modules called "Food" and "Fashions," which opened the door - psychologically - for more boys to sign up for the cooking portion of it.

He was so enthused, fact, that he wanted to take his shiny new personal knives to school and use them in class. I asked him, "Say, refresh my memory... why was it your school got locked down last week?"

"Geez" he replied, "Because some freakin' idiot brought a knife to- ... oh."

He definitely caught the bug, though. He made us perfectly good individual cheese souffles one morning for breakfast, when I had a (rare) day off and could sleep in. I appreciated the gesture, if not the three hours' kitchen-cleaning afterwards. He's 35 now, and his Facebook posts are still frequently about one or another meal he's concocted.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning