• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Königsberger Klopse.    German caper spiked and sauced meatballs.    Noodles instead of more traditional potatoes.    Quite good.

The sauce is a veloute enriched with egg yolk.   

245407741_ScreenShot2021-10-29at6_04_44PM.png.6097cf75254eb0d06428e935a5602e3c.png

Fantastic ! I haven’t had that in years - thanks for reactivating my memory. It’s on my list for the next weeks now … 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

Kill them all, I’ll say, shall god sort them out. Anyone who uses Kohlrabi (other than throwing it at rodents) is in league with the devil …

Luckily I found a home for the kohlrabi.  I was talking with my Mom on the phone yesterday, and she mentioned that one of her friends adores kohlrabi.  So, since I am going to my parents' home for dinner today, I am bringing along the kohlrabi for her to give to her friend.  I have thrown them out into the yard for the squirrels in the past, but am not feeling particularly charitable towards them right now (had to chase one out of my garage last week).

Dinner last night was (store bought) gnocchi, kale and mixed mushrooms sheet roasted together and piled on a sauce I made from roasted honey nut squash and shallots, with some parmesan on top.

gnocchi2.thumb.jpg.9db813e3b886f0642778cbc53264812a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

@gfweb 

its pretty simple :

'''   Its in the cauliflower family ''

you see , its right there in front of you !

Cauli is popular these days , for .......  reasons .

but its not a potato .

Q.E.D. # 1

kohlrabi is also very much not a potato 

Q.E.D.# 2

but the larger picture and view :

neither is  GBP.

so that's something right there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've never eaten kohlrabi, but how bad can it be? Its in the cauliflower family!

I've cooked it and it's good...tastes to me a bit like turnips.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've never eaten kohlrabi, but how bad can it be? Its in the cauliflower family!

Speaking of cauliflower, I made Ina Garten's Cauliflower Gratin the other day.

If you love cauliflower you must make it, it is just delicious.

Gratin

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

Speaking of cauliflower, I made Ina Garten's Cauliflower Gratin the other day.

If you love cauliflower you must make it, it is just delicious.

Gratin

Looks great!

I make one in ramekins (its sometimes a little juicy to spoon onto a plate) with bacon, onions, a little mustard and cream.

• Delicious 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:42 PM, heidih said:

Am I missing the link to your beautiful boards?  And yes not generally stocked at the only big market I can currently get to chicken livers - under rated.

@heidih, After more than 10 years we finally had to stop making our boards.  I recently put together an album of many of the boards we made and sold. Including

knife racks and wall hangers.   If you want, you can take a look here. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, gfweb said:

When people talk about kohlrabi, they use comparisons like „oh, its a bit like unripe papaya and you can use it in Som Tam“, „boiled it reminds me of underdone cauliflower stems“ or recently „reminds me of Jicama“.

Now, how many food items you know that actually taste decent and get compared constantly to other, more palatable items ? Opossum (tastes just like chicken) ? Balut (tastes just like fermented tofu) ? Pumpernickel (tastes just like the very bottom part of a traffic light) ?

No, of there is something great it‘ll stand on its own (think oysters, matsutake or Grünkohl) and is not used by people thousands of kilometers apart (like @liamsaunt and me) to throw at critters around the house …

Yep - that’s how bad it is.

• Haha 7

1393919875_FriedChickenwithCreamGravyOctober29th20212.thumb.jpg.20d4a23a77f6ce556012467ff8cae6fb.jpg

Couldn't decide what I wanted to do with boneless chicken breasts. So I decided to make buttermilk fried chicken with cream gravy.
Unfortunately I didn't have buttermilk but I had heavy cream and a lemon so I pounded out the chicken and soaked it for 20 minutes in the cream with fresh lemon juice.
It soaked while the potatoes were cooking.
Dipped in season flour (salt, pepper, rubbed sage, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder and onion powder) and fried.
Once the chicken was golden brown, it went into a low oven to keep warm while I made the gravy.
Poured off the fat but kept some of the brown bits. Added butter and made a roux with the seasoned flour.
Added chicken broth, and heavy cream and I still had 1/2 cup of pork gravy from the other night so added that as well.
An hour after I got home from work we were eating.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 6

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

When people talk about kohlrabi, they use comparisons like „oh, its a bit like unripe papaya and you can use it in Som Tam“, „boiled it reminds me of underdone cauliflower stems“ or recently „reminds me of Jicama“.

Now, how many food items you know that actually taste decent and get compared constantly to other, more palatable items ? Opossum (tastes just like chicken) ? Balut (tastes just like fermented tofu) ? Pumpernickel (tastes just like the very bottom part of a traffic light) ?

No, of there is something great it‘ll stand on its own (think oysters, matsutake or Grünkohl) and is not used by people thousands of kilometers apart (like @liamsaunt and me) to throw at critters around the house …

Yep - that’s how bad it is.

I've made a mental note never to buy kohlrabi and also to never resemble a squirrel around you guys.

• Haha 5

Temperatures have dropped and the season in between fall and winter has reared its ugly head. With ~5 oC and heavy rain it is not the most pleasant time to be outside. The inside in this time, however, offers shelter, warmth and ideally some comfort food befitting the season.

Enter Grünkohlessen: kale, amped up with goose fat-fried onions and homemade stock, boiled for 4h with Bregenwurst (from my hometown), Kassler, Blutwurst and Bratwurst and served with a robust potato purée …

8F1E6C24-2642-4459-85A5-502895814E92.thumb.jpeg.bf89fac0081f66ad017554179dafb388.jpeg

48D56551-7E7A-44A3-9782-092AC483039D.thumb.jpeg.d41a835568d963b58e194c72cef47f2b.jpeg

87020D62-D180-4DEE-886F-613D640418CC.thumb.jpeg.d6f48bff56fcfd2ec9ae530e33fe2cfb.jpeg

A small plate of Sauerkraut for a non-german family member that refuses to see the light …

8CDCA71B-1821-45F9-95A3-266D7E7A91D6.thumb.jpeg.e56eaaf52465702a53f84ffbb4f678a9.jpeg

A cold Jever to go with ...

FB1ED599-D06D-4765-9F83-4CA7201B3C48.thumb.jpeg.d8708120855e179c55db2a3cb40e20ae.jpeg

… and an ice-cold Kümmel to chase 🤗

7AB99ED8-0E5A-48E8-8FB0-AD1557B86328.thumb.jpeg.26b01e70105be54b3174c5398ba3131c.jpeg

Full !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:
1393919875_FriedChickenwithCreamGravyOctober29th20212.thumb.jpg.20d4a23a77f6ce556012467ff8cae6fb.jpg

.... and I still had 1/2 cup of pork gravy from the other night so added that as well.

THIS is the sign of a cook.   And, of course, the source of that aggravating request, "Can you make us that sauce you made two nights ago?"   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

We forgot to take photos last night, but I made the soft-shell crab masala from Dishoom, but with wild Coho salmon from Wild Alaska. The masala was really interesting - the long cooked onion and tomato gave it an almost chocolate flavor and was really complex.  It was really tasty, but did take a long time with the slow cooking of the onion and tomato.  This might work well to make the base of the masala in a large batch and freezing them in portions, then just doing the last few steps at the last minute.  Also, I finally did a decent job of cooking the wild salmon and didn't overcook the crap out of it.  It was marinated in garlic/ginger paste with a touch of lime juice and cooked in the just simmering masala - I just kept checking the core temp with a thin metal skewer over and over, so it came out flaking nicely and juicy inside.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We forgot to take photos last night, but I made the soft-shell crab masala from Dishoom, but with wild Coho salmon from Wild Alaska. The masala was really interesting - the long cooked onion and tomato gave it an almost chocolate flavor and was really complex.  It was really tasty, but did take a long time with the slow cooking of the onion and tomato.  This might work well to make the base of the masala in a large batch and freezing them in portions, then just doing the last few steps at the last minute.  Also, I finally did a decent job of cooking the wild salmon and didn't overcook the crap out of it.  It was marinated in garlic/ginger paste with a touch of lime juice and cooked in the just simmering masala - I just kept checking the core temp with a thin metal skewer over and over, so it came out flaking nicely and juicy inside.

That sounds really good.  It is kind of curious that this recipe starts off with cooking down the onion & tomato instead of calling for some of the onion-tomato masala that's used in so many other recipes in the book. 

Edited to add:  While I'm here, I might as well share my own mostly Dishoom dinner.  

17FAAA13-F88E-486A-B07E-DA461C3EB6E0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ae7ea4a7292868c5e46db04575ec362c.jpeg

Chole, Kachumber and Raita from Dishoom with chapati from Made in India

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 9

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

That sounds really good.  It is kind of curious that this recipe starts off with cooking down the onion & tomato instead of calling for some of the onion-tomato masala that's used in so many other recipes in the book. 

I wondered about that as well - I think the only differences are the curry leaves added once the onions are done and removed, and the extra spices that the o/t masala doesn't have - maybe they think it's really important to fry those spices in the oil before the tomatoes are added and it simmers rather than fries.

• Thanks 1