• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Bread on @Ann_T's beautiful board.

@Shelby thank you.  It is so nice to see our boards being used.   Especially since we had to stop making them after Moe's second surgery. 

And we just found out two days ago that he needs another.   I was expecting a 2 or 3 month wait, but received notice today that it is scheduled for 

November 10th. 

1550467766_ChickenliverswithonionspeppersandmushroomsOctober28th2021.thumb.jpg.3e12df2477f51b81472bb325cf21fa8d.jpg

First let me say, that this does taste better than it looks.
I had a craving for chicken livers. Hadn't cooked them in a while.
Fried with onions, green peppers, mushrooms and garlic and seasoned with salt, pepper and sage.
A little chicken broth and a little cognac and served over rice.
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Shelby thank you.  It is so nice to see our boards being used.   Especially since we had to stop making them after Moe's second surgery. 

And we just found out two days ago that he needs another.   I was expecting a 2 or 3 month wait, but received notice today that it is scheduled for 

November 10th. 

1550467766_ChickenliverswithonionspeppersandmushroomsOctober28th2021.thumb.jpg.3e12df2477f51b81472bb325cf21fa8d.jpg

Fried with onions, green peppers, mushrooms and garlic and seasoned with salt, pepper and sage.

Thanks for this!    i keep forgetting chicken livers as a main course.    I want, need your plate!  

eGullet member #80.

31 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

November 10th. 

Am I missing the link to your beautiful boards?  And yes not generally stocked at the only big market I can currently get to chicken livers - under rated.

23 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I steam radishes.  They remind me of the little white turnips when steamed and buttered.

The ones I have been getting are kind of big, a mix of daikons and watermelon radishes.  I am not sure if they would steam well because they are so big.  Though I have so many that it could be worth a try haha!  I am getting even more in the CSA delivery today (along with a dreaded kohlrabi, ugh).  Sometimes I get those little white turnips in the CSA and I agree that they are delicious steamed.  I like them tossed in miso butter.

Last night, a clear out the crisper drawer Thai flavored vegetable curry.  It had eggplant, green beans, summer squash, lots of Thai basil, and cashews for crunch, plus the usual garlic/ginger/cilantro/fish sauce/lime/chile flavorings.  Rice on the side.

662680533_eggplantcurry.thumb.jpg.529897d1041a68d75df737329377d208.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 10/26/2021 at 7:18 PM, Norm Matthews said:

No I haven't heard of that before.  I will look for a recipe that does that and give it a try.

I do that with chicken wings for the air fryer. Amazing!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Using Superstore Flashfood app, I can often pick up salmon @50% off. These are Fresh, Skinless Farmed Salmon. Instead of $29.00 for the huge fillet, I paid $14.90 for 3 meals worth of fish. I cooked up the thickest portion with Thai flavours, and the thin ends with Maple glaze (for lunch today).

75284361_GreensencasingSalmon5583.jpg.54da1a6e5082d5db1aa980c8ffa95610.jpg

673733216_ThaiSalmon5584.jpg.608733165e79650d7d38828c73b11265.jpg     

2041471330_ThaiSalmonplated5586.jpg.637e4d84fb24cad399cfe2f4b9fadee3.jpg             

I haven't cooked duck much, but I picked up a couple of breasts @50% off, again using Ss Flashfoo app.  So, I searched for recipes and found Pan-seared Duck Breasts with Ginger Honey Soy Glaze. A friend gave me a jar of Ginger Honey, so I used some of it and augmented with grated fresh ginger. I am encouraged to try again!
                                                                         1407150880_PansearedDuckbreastswithHoneyGingerSoyGlaze5578.jpg.6b1b6df58d25f34403f55e975a1446a8.jpg

A friend tried her hand on Durian in Short Pastry. We got dessert! We love anything Durian.

19299865_DurianPastry5587.jpg.e9acf2268ddb120813288f4600736f27.jpg

We get frozen baby pickerel fillets from Gimli, Mb, 3 times a year, when the fisherman comes into town. I buy whole dressed pickerel and fillets. We just ate the last lb of fillets, and are awaiting the next shipment in a couple of weeks. I had also picked up some PEI mussels cooked in white wine sauce from Safeway. So together = supper!
I had saved some of the "gravy" from our previous Coconut Curry Chicken meal, and that was great on new taters.

2014501420_PickerelMussels5561.jpg.926950e7ef46d80eed1ad2b7427e0528.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

16 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Norm, can you point us toward your recipe?    Your plate is beautiful.    This sounds like a lovely cold fall day soup.

Margaret, I'm not Norm but do know he usually posts his recipes on his blog...see the link in his signature at the bottom of his post:  http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

edited to add: 

@Norm Matthews, technically, Velveeta, which originally did contain real cheese,  can no longer be called "cheese". The US Government classifies it as a "cheese product".

Having grown up eating Velveeta (my mom's go-to "cheese" when making cheese sauce because of its ease of melting) I don't find any shame in using it, as long as you know what it is. 

I agree with @Margaret Pilgrim, it does look like cold-weather comfort food. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by Toliver
to add info (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Norm Matthews – your fried chicken looks lovely.  I need to get out the electric frying pan and make some soon! 

Not to pile on to @Katie Meadow, but I also can’t imagine life without gravy.  There are so many meals that I just wouldn’t bother with without gravy – roasts (beef, pork, lamb, and chicken), meatloaf, sausage biscuits, smothered pork chops, meat pie, open faced chicken, turkey, or beef sandwiches, Yorkshire pudding, Toad in the Hole, etc. etc.  Call my food stodgy, if you like, but I’d be lost without gravy! 😁

@Ann_T – your battered halibut is lovely and makes me wish I was making that for dinner instead of pikelets and sausage!  And your liver dinner is gorgeous!  The livers are cooked perfectly and your gravy is so dark and just glistens!  I would even eat around the peppers and mushrooms to get at those livers!

@liamsaunt – watched the America’s Test Kitchen episode featuring the Zuni chicken on the imdb app last night and was craving it.  I was explaining to Mr. Kim what an iconic recipe this is and how people all over the world have been making it for years.  And then I pull up the Dinner Thread and there it is!

@gulfporter – Happy Birthday to you both!  Lovely meal!

@Shelby – I really need to make a batch of stuffed cabbage.  I suspect with the sauce and braising that I might very well like it.  Neither of us are cooked cabbage folks, but we both really liked Molly Steven’s “World’s Best Braised Green Cabbage”.  What are yours stuffed with?  And do you make your tomato sauce a little sweet?  How I wish someone in my house liked liver.  Those looked so good and with the new chicken liver thread that @liuzhou started and @Ann_T's livers, I’m ready for a big pile of fried livers and cream gravy!

Dinner last night was frozen toasted ravioli with marinara for dipping:

IMG_7284.thumb.jpg.a1d625841ace5bfbce0401b8778c42c9.jpg

Quite good it was, too!  The lettuce was ooky, so it was raw veg for a side:

IMG_7283.jpg.a8d51fc16c9a536298b2011dafa32b63.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

(along with a dreaded kohlrabi, ugh). 

While not a huge fan of kohlrabi, we were out to dinner in Philadelphia last weekend (@ a. kitchen + bar), and one of the dishes we had as a starter...

IMG_5156.thumb.jpeg.c2f98c5059440d3035918b209035df74.jpeg

was the above salad. Kohlrabi, cucumbers, husk tomatoes/ground cherries, and toasted almonds.  Dressed in a za'atar buttermilk dressing, it was quite good.

Another plate from that dinner...

IMG_5157.thumb.jpeg.27e3ee8393171712946541cc9abc8f37.jpeg

House-made country pâté, toasted sourdough, house pickles, peach mustard.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Kohlrabi, cucumbers, husk tomatoes/ground cherries, and toasted almonds. 

Kill them all, I’ll say, shall god sort them out. Anyone who uses Kohlrabi (other than throwing it at rodents) is in league with the devil …

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_5157.thumb.jpeg.27e3ee8393171712946541cc9abc8f37.jpeg

House-made country pâté, toasted sourdough, house pickles, peach mustard

For me, this is as good as it gets. Pâté, great bread & vinegar pickles. I am sure there was a great wine accompanying it, and I am jealous as can be …

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Norm, can you point us toward your recipe?    Your plate is beautiful.    This sounds like a lovely cold fall day soup.

Glad to help.  I almost always post recipes at the blogspot link at the bottom of my posts..

Cheeseburger Soup

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.

YIELD: 8 servings (2 quarts).

A local restaurant serves a similar cheeseburger soup but wouldn't share its recipe with me. I developed my own, modifying a recipe I already had for potato soup. I was really pleased with the way this all-American dish turned out. —Joanie Shawhan, Madison, Wisconsin

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup shredded carrots
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup sour cream

Directions

cook hamburger until no longer pink.  Drain, set aside and melt 1 T. butter in same pan and cook onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender. Add broth, potatoes and beef back to pot and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes. In a separate pan melt remaining butter; stir in flour. When combined, add to the broth and stir while bringing it back to a boi for a couple minutes.  Reduce to simmer, add cheese, milk, salt and pepper. When cheese has melted, take off heat and add sour cream. 

• Thanks 2

@Kim Shook Here is the fried chicken recipe. For the Ranch sauce served on the side, I used Marzetti bottled Ranch.

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/3452885033/ranch-fried-chicken-cooks-country-recipe/

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are leaving for Berlin on Monday, and my wife is very OCD on finishing everything we have at home beforehand. Luckily I got some chicken wings before the order came, so tonight we had oven-roasted chicken wings (both classic and „Korean“), plus a kitchen sink salad with wafu dressing and a potato salad for the potato salad haters (with Parmigiano cheese, kewpie, garlic, …) …

02EA8FA3-D77E-4A12-8F7F-23CBEF417E7F.thumb.jpeg.47ecb097e87abdb9416392f488d6e9fe.jpeg

44F9362C-4A98-48CE-9A8B-7FE48774C548.thumb.jpeg.9990e1b56c9f7d5c402dfe1b3ae3ea14.jpeg

558F275D-75BE-4401-AF1D-774E502A4CE7.thumb.jpeg.57eb00bb008eadd3a1416be1bf1f8069.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Margaret, I'm not Norm but do know he usually posts his recipes on his blog...see the link in his signature at the bottom of his post:  http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

edited to add: 

@Norm Matthews, technically, Velveeta, which originally did contain real cheese,  can no longer be called "cheese". The US Government classifies it as a "cheese product".

Having grown up eating Velveeta (my mom's go-to "cheese" when making cheese sauce because of its ease of melting) I don't find any shame in using it, as long as you know what it is. 

I agree with @Margaret Pilgrim, it does look like cold-weather comfort food. Thanks for posting it.

In 1967 I was on leave in Paris and stopped in a restaurant for lunch. I just wanted a ham and cheese sandwich.  The waiter asked me what kind of cheese I wanted.  Kraft was the only kind of cheese I knew about. I said American.  He looked puzzled and brought me one with cheddar, I later figured out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Glad to help.  I almost always post recipes at the blogspot link at the bottom of my posts..

Cheeseburger Soup

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.

YIELD: 8 servings (2 quarts).

A local restaurant serves a similar cheeseburger soup but wouldn't share its recipe with me. I developed my own, modifying a recipe I already had for potato soup. I was really pleased with the way this all-American dish turned out. —Joanie Shawhan, Madison, Wisconsin

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup shredded carrots
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup sour cream

Directions

cook hamburger until no longer pink.  Drain, set aside and melt 1 T. butter in same pan and cook onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender. Add broth, potatoes and beef back to pot and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes. In a separate pan melt remaining butter; stir in flour. When combined, add to the broth and stir while bringing it back to a boi for a couple minutes.  Reduce to simmer, add cheese, milk, salt and pepper. When cheese has melted, take off heat and add sour cream. 

Many, many thanks!    Will do!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Norm Matthews – your fried chicken looks lovely.  I need to get out the electric frying pan and make some soon! 

Not to pile on to @Katie Meadow, but I also can’t imagine life without gravy.  There are so many meals that I just wouldn’t bother with without gravy – roasts (beef, pork, lamb, and chicken), meatloaf, sausage biscuits, smothered pork chops, meat pie, open faced chicken, turkey, or beef sandwiches, Yorkshire pudding, Toad in the Hole, etc. etc.  Call my food stodgy, if you like, but I’d be lost without gravy! 😁

@Ann_T – your battered halibut is lovely and makes me wish I was making that for dinner instead of pikelets and sausage!  And your liver dinner is gorgeous!  The livers are cooked perfectly and your gravy is so dark and just glistens!  I would even eat around the peppers and mushrooms to get at those livers!

@liamsaunt – watched the America’s Test Kitchen episode featuring the Zuni chicken on the imdb app last night and was craving it.  I was explaining to Mr. Kim what an iconic recipe this is and how people all over the world have been making it for years.  And then I pull up the Dinner Thread and there it is!

@gulfporter – Happy Birthday to you both!  Lovely meal!

@Shelby – I really need to make a batch of stuffed cabbage.  I suspect with the sauce and braising that I might very well like it.  Neither of us are cooked cabbage folks, but we both really liked Molly Steven’s “World’s Best Braised Green Cabbage”.  What are yours stuffed with?  And do you make your tomato sauce a little sweet?  How I wish someone in my house liked liver.  Those looked so good and with the new chicken liver thread that @liuzhou started and @Ann_T's livers, I’m ready for a big pile of fried livers and cream gravy!

Dinner last night was frozen toasted ravioli with marinara for dipping:

IMG_7284.thumb.jpg.a1d625841ace5bfbce0401b8778c42c9.jpg

Quite good it was, too!  The lettuce was ooky, so it was raw veg for a side:

IMG_7283.jpg.a8d51fc16c9a536298b2011dafa32b63.jpg

I love the look of the toasted ravioli. Coincidentally, when I was looking for instructions to make air fryer breaded mushrooms, I saw air fryer toasted ravioli. Is that how you did yours? I've only had them once, probably 25 years ago in a restuarant in the theatre district in Toronto. They are not terribly common where I live.

• Thanks 1