• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Least Favorite Summer Veg/Fruit?

weinoo

We're deep in the middle of summer harvest season here (and in much of the northern hemisphere, I guess). And I buy CSA boxes supplemented with whatever sounds good to me at the time. But summer harvest boxes tend to mean getting some stuff that I don't love.

So - my least favorite summer vegetable is zucchini, with yellow squash a close second.  I've made a Marcella Roman style zucchini, that if it were the only thing left on the planet to eat, would be ok.  But otherwise, leave the zucchini (and take the cannoli).

Yours?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'll nominate lettuces and Asian pears.

Lettuce is just too much work for little reward.  All that washing, drying, and chewing for something that doesn't fill you up.  I'll take your zucchini and slice it thin for my salad instead, much easier.

Asian pears are usually too sweet, lacking acidity for balance, and not improved by baking. 

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Asian pears are usually too sweet, lacking acidity for balance, and not improved by baking. 

In my experience they are meant to be served ice cold (bowl of ice water works) and enjoyed outdoors with good company and conversation. Dump some lychee and loquats in there and the afternoon is perfect. Poolside is not a bad add. 

I have gone off strawberries unless I can smell them from 4 or so feet away. Otherwise - what is the point. Oh I can macerate but - picky as I age.

Lettuce of any type is more a taste issue for me. If it is rabbit fodder without discernible flavor - the point is?

Generally quality is the tipping point for summer fruit for me - having had fruit picked in the orchard - my bar is high.

Oh and keep your patty pan and crookneck squash - taste - what taste? A stuffing receptacle perhaps. The zukes I have noted before I enjoy broiled ala Melissa  - garlic, olive oil, fresh mint

• Like 2

BROCCOLI!!!!!  I am to broccoli like @liuzhou is to corn.  I'm trying to find data showing that broccoli is the true cause of COVID-19 and should be eradicated.  Other forms like rapini are not so bad, and "chinese broccoli" (which tastes nothing like broccoli) is great and should be saved from the mass extinction.

• Haha 5

BIG veg.  We had a close friend who retired, bought a farm and grew superb vegetables, but he never harvested them in their youth.    Huge zucchini, enormous green beans, gigantic radicchio.    He complained that he didn't understand the radicchio craze because he found it bitter and inedible.   Well, yes, when it is 8 niche across and 6 inches tall!    And 10 inch long, fat and coarse green beans.    And of course the practical joke baseball bat zucchini.    

Sure, the baby vegetable trend was overdone, but small sweet and tender vegetables often make converts of the worst veg hater.

I really can't think of a horrible vegetable, since there is a way to.make every food delicious.   No bad food, just  bad cooks.    Come culture somewhere has a palatable recipe.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

BROCCOLI!!!!!  I am to broccoli like @liuzhou is to corn.  I'm trying to find data showing that broccoli is the true cause of COVID-19 and should be eradicated.  Other forms like rapini are not so bad, and "chinese broccoli" (which tastes nothing like broccoli) is great and should be saved from the mass extinction.

Really! I mean I will take gai lan any day but maybe because I grew it and harvested young as @Margaret Pilgrim notes I have a mother's affection. Even the big stuff cooked long and pureed and done up with dairy of some sort or coconut milk, and toasted spices. I happily eat for breakfast. 

@heidih I wonder if my aversion stems from being young and my mother would boil or steam it to death, and then cover it with Velveeta (which I also can't stand).  Broccoli is barely tolerable if blanched briefly, then sauteed with a ton of garlic and chili...

53 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

BIG veg.  We had a close friend who retired, bought a farm and grew superb vegetables, but he never harvested them in their youth.    Huge zucchini, enormous green beans, gigantic radicchio.    He complained that he didn't understand the radicchio craze because he found it bitter and inedible.   Well, yes, when it is 8 niche across and 6 inches tall!    And 10 inch long, fat and coarse green beans.    And of course the practical joke baseball bat zucchini.   

Yeah, this. I have no particular veggie aversions any more, but coarse, overgrown veg are nobody's idea of a good time. And it's an occupational hazard that when the neighbours know you're a chef, they dump 'em on you with a cheery "I never know what to do with these, but I was sure you would..."

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@heidih I wonder if my aversion stems from being young and my mother would boil or steam it to death, and then cover it with Velveeta (which I also can't stand).  Broccoli is barely tolerable if blanched briefly, then sauteed with a ton of garlic and chili...

I think you nailed it. Taste memories can overwhelm actual taste buds. I m lucky - no bad memories. 

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

Really! I mean I will take gai lan any day but maybe because I grew it and harvested young as @Margaret Pilgrim notes I have a mother's affection. Even the big stuff cooked long and pureed and done up with dairy of some sort or coconut milk, and toasted spices. I happily eat for breakfast. 

Broccoli is a grandson's favorite vegetable.    A natural vegetarian, he will happily eat 3 helpings of broccoli and shun steak.    When asked last sleepover what he wanted for breakfast, he answered, "Do you have more broccoli?"   

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Broccoli and cauliflower were two of the veggies we never ate much when I was a kid, because for whatever reason we didn't grow them. I don't like steamed or boiled broccoli, but tossed in olive oil, sprinkled with some lemon zest and some pecans, and salted and peppered and roasted, it's pretty good. 

I like most vegetables, except bell peppers (of any color, but red and yellow are marginally less obnoxious than green ones) and any kind of greens. I'll eat 'em raw, but don't try to make me eat them cooked. Ain't doing it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Greens sauted in garlic scented EVOO are pretty nice.    I remember an Italian friend's recalling his first school lunch.    He saw that spinach was on the menu.   "Great!   I love spinach!"    The attendant reached a spoon into a deep hotel pan and scooped out a dripping mass of breen veg and plopped it on his tray/plate.    His first experience with canned spinach.   Disgusting!

• Sad 3

eGullet member #80.

I've tried the saute in olive oil with garlic, with a dash of balsamic vinegar, with assorted other flavor disguisers. Nope, nope and nope. 

One forkful on New Years Day to appease the Good Luck Gods, and that's it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I can't think of a veg that can't be tossed into a 3veg soup, pureed, given a seasoning kick, curry, cumin, sumac, dill or friend, and not be delicious served cold with swirl of creme fraiche or chantilly.   Or leave the puree alone and season the cream.  These soups are our summer lunch staple.   

eGullet member #80.

Peas.  Sugar snaps and snow peas are fine.   Can't overcome the childhood memories of those little khaki balls of mush.  

I do keep a bag in the freezer for first aid purposes.  There's no risk that I'd ever eat them and be left without a flexible ice pack. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I used to dislike melons (cantaloupes and honeydew both). They tasted like chemicals. In recent years, I found that to be a shame, since they have such a wonderful scent. So I've been sampling a little on occasions when I was served some (which is quite often at summer). I could barely swallow it at first. Last year I could finally have some and be able to say it's okish, but still didn't want a second bite. This year I could finally quite enjoy it. Actually, the most recent melon we got this yes was so good I liked it enough to reach to it rather than the other fruits. 😁

Now the only fruits I don't enjoy are for texture issues (e.g. guava, fejoya) but I do like them blended or cooked, so it doesn't count.

I also dislike green bell peppers, but that's like saying I dislike green unripe tomatoes. Why even pick it green?

Sad to see the zucchini hate. I love them all year round. I make sure to buy tiny ones, crunchy and tasty enough to eat raw with just salt. I love them grilled and stir fried, but they can easily be overcooked.

• Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

It's interesting for those of us old enough to remember canned vegetables how different they are from fresh or even frozen.    Spinach, peas, green beans, carrots (altho I don't think I ever saw a canned carrot), asparagus.    Totally different animals, canned and fresh.   

re melons, both orange and green flesh melons can indeed become very chemical-like when over ripe.   Actually, alcohol.   We currently have a cantalope that was borderline perfect/overripe when first cut but that has crossed the line albeit in the fridge.   

eGullet member #80.

Ha! I just got small zucchini on a delivery. Melons - they have to be just ripe or if not  - cut in cubes  and tossed with lime and the Mexican pepper mix the fruit vendors use - we have lots of fruit carts in LA. Thousands.  image.jpeg.cedbb2c2ac3ea1c0c0548f6c9f662f1d.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It's interesting for those of us old enough to remember canned vegetables how different they are from fresh or even frozen.    Spinach, peas, green beans, carrots (altho I don't think I ever saw a canned carrot), asparagus.    Totally different animals, canned and fresh.   

When we were kids my brother loved canned spinach (no such thing as fresh in those days); to me that stuff was disgusting and slimy.  Maybe it was a Popeye thing.

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

God, where do I begin?  ANY kind of squash.  Eggplant.  ANY kind of pepper.  Are peas and asparagus summer or just spring?  Chard.  Kale.  I'll stop there.

My kind of person - other than for the spring vegetables peas and asparagus, which I like a lot if they're good and fresh. Peas, baby peas, are an excellent frozen product - they're what many, many chefs use.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

re melons, both orange and green flesh melons can indeed become very chemical-like when over ripe.   Actually, alcohol.   We currently have a cantalope that was borderline perfect/overripe when first cut but that has crossed the line albeit in the fridge.   

What?!  You never saw the cans of peas & carrots? Fortunately, that was one of the few "vegetables" that my mother served us out of a can. Never spinach and never asparagus. Don't get me wrong - there was rarely anything fresh or even frozen other than iceberg lettuce and cucumber and the early days of shipper tomato salads.

I find that if I cut up a whole summer (musk or honeydew) melon, taking off rind and removing seeds when it's just ripe or even slightly before, and keeping that well sealed in the fridge - it's easily good for a few days before fermenting.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not wild about zucchini or summer squash. Like broccoli zucchini isn't exactly a summer vegetable, since both are available year round. I'm love/hate about melons. I love a really good cantaloupe  or a really good watermelon . But I am not fond of all the super-sweet melon varieties like Sharlyn and Crenshaw. Can't recall names of several others but if they are too sweet I don't want them.

Not wild about bell peppers, either, although I do use a green one if I am making red beans and rice. Other peppers I DO like, especially hot ones.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)