• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Least Favorite Summer Veg/Fruit?

weinoo

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I really dislike those big eggplants.  I just got notification that there will be 2 of them in my CSA box this week.  Yuck.

I either roast them for baba  ganoush or roast then stew with tomatos of some sort.lots of garlic and herbe, olive oil. Pasta at the end. and feta.Did yesterday and enjoyng leftovers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I really dislike those big eggplants.  I just got notification that there will be 2 of them in my CSA box this week.  Yuck.

Totally agree.   However, there was a taverna in the Plaka of Athens that taught me a dish where it was quite lovely.    Asked what he recommended, our waiter replied "Lemon Eggplant".    I ordered it.   Hm.   No lemon.   Light bulb!   LAMB and eggplant!    A simple braise of big chunks of lamb shoulder, similar size cubes eggplant, onions, garlic, tomato, oregano.    Divine.    We returned several times and that was always my order.   

So when stuck with a jumbo eggplant and not hankering for eggplant caviar, Lemon Eggplant is the end game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

So kale in that application you can enjoy?

In that application?  You mean starvation?  Indeed.  However only in the apocalypse, and only were humanity totally out of cauliflower.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In that application?  You mean starvation?  Indeed.  However only in the apocalypse, and only were humanity totally out of cauliflower.

Obviously we are not communicating - I meant caldo verde as referenced. Discussion  - not that it was one  - over

Edited by heidih (log)

Just now, heidih said:

Obviously we are not communicating - I meant caldo verde as referenced. Discussion  - not hat it was one  - over

I don't understand.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I thought that was green bell peppers' claim to fame.

No. Green bell peppers are merely an insidious distraction invented by alien corn pushers to divert your attention!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No. Green bell peppers are merely an insidious distraction invented by alien corn pushers to divert your attention!

At least corn does not make one burp. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, heidih said:

In my experience they are meant to be served ice cold (bowl of ice water works) and enjoyed outdoors with good company and conversation.

Group activity doesn't necessarily make things better, and I'd still rather have any other fruit.

19 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Group activity doesn't necessarily make things better, and I'd still rather have any other fruit.

The Koreans walking out of the market with big boxes would disagree - but we all have preferences.  I was just describing my pleasant experience.

• Like 1

I love almost every fruit and vegetable, but I really detest green bell peppers.  Red, yellow, orange, poblano are all fine, but green bell peppers taste awful and give me indigestion.  I got a notice that there might be green bell peppers in my CSA box tomorrow.  If there are, they are going straight to compost!

I am also not a fan of swiss chard.  All other leafy greens are good, but chard tastes like dirt to me.  I'll eat it, but I won't be happy about it.  

34 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I love almost every fruit and vegetable, but I really detest green bell peppers.  Red, yellow, orange, poblano are all fine, but green bell peppers taste awful and give me indigestion.  I got a notice that there might be green bell peppers in my CSA box tomorrow.  If there are, they are going straight to compost!

I am also not a fan of swiss chard.  All other leafy greens are good, but chard tastes like dirt to me.  I'll eat it, but I won't be happy about it.  

With you on bells. Kinda love chard. And the stalks gratin French stylde.

Edited by heidih (log)