• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

John had more oral surgery yesterday so he needs something easy to eat for breakfast this morning.  I just pulled baked oatmeal with blueberries out of the oven for him for when he gets up.*  Will have leftovers to take to Poughkeepsie with him and I do believe he may use some to go with the vanilla coconut milk ice cream I got him yesterday.

* @JoNorvelleWalker you would identify with him as his defacto bedtime is between 2am and 4 am.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

It looks delicious but I cannot do the beans. I no longer even try but simply accept that I don’t like dried peas,  beans, legumes etc. I wasn’t always this way because I used to love canned baked beans on toast when I was a child.  And I still have a taste memory of giant butter beans and lamb in a casserole. I think I need to discuss this with my therapist.  xD

I am the SAME way (except for liking them when I was younger)!  Everyone thinks I am nuts, though.  It's a texture thing for me.  The only bean I eat is garbanzo beans and only in hummus.  :D

• Like 2

Waiting to hear about the snowstorm back home as we get ready for a day at the beach in Roatan. Here is the view from our table, on the ship, this morning.

5ab26c7868f23_Viewfromourtable.thumb.JPG.2551e2d76ef59d875de43add562d105c.JPG 

My usual smoked salmon, cream cheese, caper and red onion starter.

5ab26ebbe4c64_Myusualstarter.thumb.JPG.437b45b33b9710527026b8a116b14efb.JPG

Normally we only have a cocktail with breakfast on "sea days", but our excursion, today includes everything, with very little decision making, so caution to the wind!

Steak and eggs, rare / over easy, for me, a small omelet, for Deb, and 2 bloodies, please.

HC

5ab27269c8f68_SteakandEggs.thumb.JPG.96865f2f7c8af12610893f4381934703.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

brunch, since I have a snow day, working at home...lox and cream cheese on Wasa crispbreads. Fuel for the first round of shoveling (DH is out of town, I plan to do a couple of intermediate shovels so I'm not left with a foot+ of the heavy stuff to push myself).

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

Nice !

what the fruit ripe ?

id go with more eggs.

BTW

8 - 10 maybe at your Home Hacienda

so  Nice timing !

get Fortified !

suprise.gif.455a568c92f3eb1a6367cd6b9493f053.gif

looks like a FirstClassCruyise

good for you !

8 - 10 !

The fruit is remarkably good, especially the berries, my favorites.

HC

5ab2761db75ca_FreshBerries.thumb.JPG.6a14378be7a60f7dee834ea651395e29.JPG5ab276d85a872_FreshBerries2.thumb.JPG.73a33d3c97df70d1d6d471b8da24fe3f.JPG

• Like 6

Had some skinny asparagus to use up so I made an asparagus version of the Broccoli Melts from Smitten Kitchen Every Day.

IMG_7443.thumb.jpg.5d995a42c482f065aa839204e1e89f8a.jpg
I used the Vault No. 5 Cave Aged cheese from Jasper Hill that's the current "spotlight" cheese at Trader Joe's and it's a great melter!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 9

A5B1A2D6-0593-42BB-ABD9-FDD37E43D755.thumb.jpeg.7a003099dabcec88b8a9e02f941e632e.jpeg

Crispbread, cream cheese, and vegetable confetti with a side of Fine Cooking magazine. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

see you get FineCooking.

so do I

Nah.  It was an impulse buy yesterday when I was in Costco with @Kerry Beal. It’s only about eight dollars at Costco much more expensive at most other places. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Avocado (teeny tiny-single serve size from TJ's) on Lundberg rice cake with Crystal hot sauce and black pepper. That vinegar from the hot sauce really works well with avocado.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

34 minutes ago, rotuts said:

6.95 USD / 7.95 CND

You are right. 30% less at Costco. $5.57. 

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/21/2018 at 7:59 AM, chefmd said:

Shameful but so delicious mini chicken biscuits from you know where reheated in CSO with you know what sauce.  It was catered in out office yesterday and I opted to take my share home.  Biscuit is too sweet, chicken is too salty but together they somehow work.  Back to home cooking later today ;)

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.1b852a4e66feb4cbfdb8abfd109e4c89.JPG

Oh, those things are addictive.  I never buy them, but sometimes when I was working drug reps would bring them in.  I could eat a dozen over a couple of hours.  

• Like 1

E5773EDA-7F99-4481-A786-1367D692C4AA.thumb.jpeg.4f4e4136a80f03d0c353cad91990ab7d.jpeg

Eggs scrambled with cream cheese, jalapeno and basil on crispbread with a side of Culture magazine. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I love Culture mag.  The only possible way to improve it would be to add several scratch 'n sniff pages!  

It would be such an improvement on all those magazines with the nasty perfume strips in them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Deb chose pan cakes, with walnuts, and I opted for poached eggs and crab cakes with hollandaise on an English muffin this morning, before going ashore.

HC

P3220118.thumb.JPG.6690ced63a05edb0828a343b0d4c77f5.JPGP3220120.thumb.JPG.b65fe5c4e274acfaa363545f1c98937e.JPG

Welcome home!!!!

Where's the hot sauce?9_9

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Welcome home!!!!

Home?   I’m confused. Doesn’t look like home to me. I am guessing you are speaking tongue-in-cheek?

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Home?   I’m confused. Doesn’t look like home to me. 

Back on U.S. soil before flying home.....

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites