• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

1 hour ago, rarerollingobject said:

Easter Sunday breakfast in this household; homemade lup cheong (Chinese pork belly, rock sugar and rose wine dried sausages) steamed with rice and drizzled with dark soy sauce and shallot oil; zombie coffee.

Love those on rice. I remmber when I did bok choy steamed with them for an Easter buffet and my god-daughter and Viet mom almost wept with pleasure. The rice was more Carib/Malay with split peas, coconut milk and saffron....  Cool you made your own

Edited by heidih (log)

Like @liuzhou, I felt it imperative to acknowledge Easter  in some fashion.

1582BE11-530F-421D-802C-C0FC3DE523C4.thumb.jpeg.c069a28095ed88ac7bc2c6b8656d6382.jpeg

Smashed up cabbage roll crowned with an egg fried in duck fat. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been making my recipe for caramel sticky buns for years.  But why I never thought of using the pineapple upside down trick I don't know.  Now I do know................

003.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

@David Ross

fantastic !

Ive done something similar in the past , but I used canned pears , the kind w no aded or little added sugar to the syrup.

they usually come in 1/2 pear cuts so I slice them into maybe 1/3'd and line the bottom of the pan then

add the generous helping of the PecanGoodNess.

uf course , you have to like Pears !

if you try it , let me know.  i might get inspired to make them again.

also works well w unside-down batter  if you not in a Bun-nie mood !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, David Ross said:

I've been making my recipe for caramel sticky buns for years.  But why I never thought of using the pineapple upside down trick I don't know.  Now I do know................

003.JPG

I love sticky buns and pineapple upside down cake , but I can't shouldn't eat them now!

Shame on you! LOL ;)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My God. Pineapple sticky buns. The yeast dough I'd put in the freezer for kolaches may have just found a different use. Those are gorgeous.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I did  a big stuffed turkey dinner with stuffed clams and kielbasa apps, mashed potatoes w gravy and roasted asparagus and Deb coordinated  an Easter egg hunt out front for Easter ( no time for pics). It was good to get back to normal activity this morning.

HC

IMG_0037.thumb.JPG.ef38820bebda78cd89ebe99a7bfc9dc5.JPGIMG_0040.thumb.JPG.7d86581f46aa82821cdce0281a943515.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9

0016BD44-397F-4B43-AF07-6D004D542523.thumb.jpeg.822a473db83794790a9e866d5f14e162.jpeg

Occasionally I manage to get it right despite myself. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ham and biscuit (with blackberry jam, not seen because it's inside). And a tangerine.

20180403_084444.thumb.jpg.309b8eb1d7c5dc757a4489c69cbd0219.jpg

Followed by strawberries and creme fraiche, because I could. I love Easter leftovers.

20180403_084522.thumb.jpg.d8739d335f681e211166b8ab9a6fca4d.jpg

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@shain, I had leftover charoset for breakfast, also. Mine was simple, finely diced granny smith apples and walnuts, cinnamon, cardamon, honey. I should make it year round, I really enjoy it plain and on yogurt.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

15 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

@shain  dates or  apples?

Both:

one Granny Smith,  peeled and chopped

80g pitted dates 

40g black raisins 

2 tbsp red wine 

A little lemon juice

- Lightly cooked and blended 

Cinnamon 

A little ginger and rose water 

Salt

Chopped toasted walnuts 

- All mixed in 

~ Shai N.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, kayb said:

My God. Pineapple sticky buns. The yeast dough I'd put in the freezer for kolaches may have just found a different use. Those are gorgeous.

In addition to the pineapple on top, I put pineapple in the middle of the dough and brushed it with butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg then rolled up like we'd do with cinnamon rolls. 

• Like 1

Originally intended to be a kielbasa omelet, but it became apparent that either an additional egg, or less kielbasa was needed. I stubbornly refused to give ground on either front, so I ended up with scrambled eggs with kielbasa and sautéed zucchini.

HC

IMG_0089.thumb.JPG.9c5a558e8d9fb23f74a84061c92cf739.JPGIMG_0090.thumb.JPG.6ef1b41c70b079a559e474f2203a50b3.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

BC09AF77-51DE-4FCB-B9B3-695FABAF3838.thumb.jpeg.0976a26023d98cac7878153b7cd3c81f.jpeg

Toasted rye bread, thick yogourt and canned sardines in tomato sauce. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Duck confit, potatoes, mushrooms hash.  Fried egg.  Parsley, cilantro, lime zest to have something green on the plate :)

I like my generous duck to potatoes ratio compared to restaurant versions of this dish.  I am not concerned with food and labor costs.  Although I am very concerned that this was the last confit leg that I had.   Need to procure and cure more legs.

IMG_0555.thumb.JPG.512d37a47b7d6b9f3bd483a7091bf8e1.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Need to procure and cure more legs.

Never forget that chicken legs treated the same way are also quite scrumptious. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog