Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Recommended Posts

7517DD0C-4D2F-40AE-8BD2-53E856AE486A.thumb.jpeg.d7718a186aeadb096a40492e1996c536.jpeg

 

Pasta Bowl ~ there really is pasta under there! Rotini topped with Beef and Pork Meat Sauce, Shredded Cheese, Avocado and Green Onion

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roasted beets dressed with lime juice and olive oil on a shmear of home made creme fraiche, feta on top.

IMG_0629.thumb.JPG.74e7ad3c5bae0b185303e1bd1d5d9b5f.JPG

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My name is Chris and I have a weird neighbor. He refuses to look at me, will turn away or look at the ground, when I go by. He never returns my wave and seems to get agitated whenever I do anything to improve the look of my humble abode. I just don't get it. My only response, of course, is to do everything I can just to piss him off. There, I've said it!

Yesterday, I spent the early morning in the garden, cut the grass, trimmed everything up, clipped the hedges and raked up all the clippings. Which of course drove him mad and forced him out to do some yard work of his own.

When it came time for dinner, I was hot and beat, so I chose to do a little hot weather spread. Knowing that dinner was going to be an issue,  I had done hard boiled eggs earlier, along with a Thai cold noodle salad. So dinner, last night was a kind of cold buffet. Deb was underwhelmed, at first, but seemed to warm up to it as things went along.

IMG_0754.thumb.JPG.6a544190de90fdb5e545ff6729ad88ff.JPG

Everybody likes deviled eggs, right?

IMG_0753.thumb.JPG.bf9d7116a4adbd1718455781b961a18c.JPG

Assorted crackers and a homemade lemon and garlic white bean hummus.

IMG_0752.thumb.JPG.93d0f02522d0aef3933602e6536b366b.JPG

Cold cuts and cheese.That pinwheel thing is a prosciutto panino and the soft brie, I left out on the counter all day, are both favorites from Aldi.

IMG_0751.thumb.JPG.fca6bfe7aa9e69d2f96f6781b1c3a820.JPG

Palm hearts, marinated artichoke hearts, homemade pickled tomatoes, homemade marinated asparagus and olives we brought back from Italy.

IMG_0750.thumb.JPG.e691e665ae643f36662580acb88bd3d0.JPG

Cold Thai noodle salad.

HC

IMG_0749.thumb.JPG.0596bc2164642bfb31102239af5ad896.JPG


Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HungryChris said:

My name is Chris and I have a weird neighbor. He refuses to look at me, will turn away or look at the ground, when I go by. He never returns my wave and seems to get agitated whenever I do anything to improve the look of my humble abode. I just don't get it. My only response, of course, is to do everything I can just to piss him off. There, I've said it!

Yesterday, I spent the early morning in the garden, cut the grass, trimmed everything up, clipped the hedges and raked up all the clippings. Which of course drove him mad and forced him out to do some yard work of his own.

When it came time for dinner, I was hot and beat, so I chose to do a little hot weather spread. Knowing that dinner was going to be an issue,  I had done hard boiled eggs earlier, along with a Thai cold noodle salad. So dinner, last night was a kind of cold buffet. Deb was underwhelmed, at first, but seemed to warm up to it as things went along.

IMG_0754.thumb.JPG.6a544190de90fdb5e545ff6729ad88ff.JPG

Everybody likes deviled eggs, right?

IMG_0753.thumb.JPG.bf9d7116a4adbd1718455781b961a18c.JPG

Assorted crackers and a homemade lemon and garlic white bean hummus.

IMG_0752.thumb.JPG.93d0f02522d0aef3933602e6536b366b.JPG

Cold cuts and cheese.That pinwheel thing is a prosciutto panino and the soft brie, I left out on the counter all day, are both favorites from Aldi.

IMG_0751.thumb.JPG.fca6bfe7aa9e69d2f96f6781b1c3a820.JPG

Palm hearts, marinated artichoke hearts, homemade pickled tomatoes, homemade marinated asparagus and olives we brought back from Italy.

IMG_0750.thumb.JPG.e691e665ae643f36662580acb88bd3d0.JPG

Cold Thai noodle salad.

HC

IMG_0749.thumb.JPG.0596bc2164642bfb31102239af5ad896.JPG

 

This all looks so good and I'm making a mental note to copy you.  It's going to be hot hot hot here and the humidity is off the charts.  Feels more like July.  Next week is a high of 101.  Yuck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Simple stir fry featuring snap peas and char siu.

 

stir-fry6.jpg.20333a7bc922e030180a5d5bdb10ad14.jpg

 

 


Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first attempt at Hakka tofu. I made it with a ground pork and beef because it was available to me, which is not original but it tasted good.

The tofu is homemade.

food.thumb.jpg.ffcf64d3d40ee8c66778f92dd7dab71f.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vegetarian pastisio. A layer of pasta with an egg and bechamel sauce. A layer of spiced, diced mushrooms, mirepoix and some diced tofu. A layer of roasted eggplant slices. A layer of nutmeg heavy bechamel.

Thick tzatziki made with salted cucumbers and zucchini. Flavored with dill flowers, mint and garlic.

IMG_20180504_215558.thumb.jpg.056f90f3ec0cc8330d2dde4cf6ba5002.jpgIMG_20180504_220629.thumb.jpg.d6c15c8a3dd13c5545add02346f45d23.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grilled sea scallops (was able to get good “dry” ones) and shrimp. Marinated a bit in ponzu, lemon peel, garlic, orange juice, olive oil, S&P. Cooked on foil since DH lacks finesse on the grill and I didn’t want $15 worth of seafood cooked into jerky. Made a chopped salad of black beans, grilled corn, grilled red pepper, scallion, tomato, avocado. A satisfactory kick off for the unofficial start of summer.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grilled tuna with sautéed beet greens, capers/scallions/mayo/creme fraiche sauce.

IMG_0631.thumb.JPG.d0287b5d2fcea28da5e9fabebf7905a2.JPG

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PIZZA DELIVERY!!!

 

EEB699E3-39E5-4AB9-9EC6-76A483FEE29A.thumb.jpeg.a761cdf0c9b88a3e8e8cf7194c387a23.jpeg

 

(L) Thin Crust with Pepperoni, Sausage and Onions (his) ~ (R) Regular Crust with Pepperoni, Mushrooms and Black Olives (mine)

 

  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No photograph but pizza for me too.  My granddaughter came over and ordered pizza for both of us and then she went and picked it up and we enjoyed a pleasant few hours together.  

 

Edited to add:

 

Mine was thin crust with mushrooms and hers was regular crust with mushrooms and pepperoni. 


Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be a theme for the evening. I didn't take a picture but me and the kid made pizza tonight. Pepperoni for her. Mine was mushroom, Vidalia onion, red bell pepper, habanero and cashews.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, robirdstx said:

PIZZA DELIVERY!!!

 

EEB699E3-39E5-4AB9-9EC6-76A483FEE29A.thumb.jpeg.a761cdf0c9b88a3e8e8cf7194c387a23.jpeg

 

(L) Thin Crust with Pepperoni, Sausage and Onions (his) ~ (R) Regular Crust with Pepperoni, Mushrooms and Black Olives (mine)

 

Sore spot for me. My older brother lives in Chicago and has often bragged that there are more than a thousand restaurants within walking distance from his front door. My response: There is only one restaurant within a twenty minute drive from mine, a pizza place, and they don't deliver.

I'm glad I learned to cook!

HC  


Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night my wife and I went out for dinner for the first time in a long time.

 

Although we usually get sushi delivered once a week or so, I never look forward to it as the affordable sushi places are just decent at best. So last night we decided to treat ourselves and ho for a step up. Surely this is not high end as it is unbelievably expensive in NYC, but I would definitely say it's a huge leap from our local delivery place. It did not disappoint.

 

20180526_205204.thumb.jpg.f686fb53f0edcb799d8eedb50156192b.jpg

A small glass of daiginjo sake from producer Kamoizumi. Floral nose but a little earthy in the mouth.

 

20180526_205436.thumb.jpg.38e40cc9dd6d4d71fdbf9ff676167ad1.jpg

Soft shell crab tempura.

 

20180526_205444.thumb.jpg.d01e0f0e6fa49d5e6b619ea1ec72b6ca.jpg

Kanpachi usuzukura. The little green dabs are chili puree and it had a yuzu sauce.

 

20180526_210520.thumb.jpg.ca1a59409ca67e2d532b838f12aa577d.jpg

Sushi and sashimi combination. We added one piece if blue fin o-toro and a raw botan ebi (sweet shrimp). 

 

20180526_211237.thumb.jpg.1a2d3cfeb286711f8836042476e4cc88.jpg

The fried shrimp head arrives a few minutes later.

 

For dessert:

20180526_212855.thumb.jpg.c16669c62f082e9a934fa4af619f9a1d.jpg

Hokkaido uni sushi. I can't think of a better way to end!

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just as I read that the famed Mediterranean diet is going down the pan, that is what I decided to cook tonight. A mixture of French, Italian and Greek, I initially thought, but also included ingredients from China and India.

 

5b0aaee2b12ef_dinner2.jpg.53ea4ab714fd66cadd53e9365209ca35.jpg

 

Pork loin cubed and marinated in EVOO (Italian), white wine (French), garlic (Chinese) and crushed coriander seeds (Indian), salt and black pepper. Stir fried.

 

dinner1.jpg.2573941e172bd3bbc09110a84d1bb3df.jpg

 

Tomato, onion, raw asparagus and balcony basil. Dressing from same EVOO and Chinese wine vinegar with a drop of Dijon mustard.

 

5b0aaec87e879_dinner3.jpg.83f8e2777a8790d449a32c90627c4112.jpg

 

Served with orzo (Italian) and Tsingtao Beer (Chinese).

 

No wonder I'm always confused.


Edited by liuzhou added link to my reading (log)
  • Like 18
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KennethT

 

your Sushi etc dinner looks excellent

 

I approve of your dessert choice

 

Ive only had raw shrimp  a few times , 

 

while at the sushi bar , not a table  

 

as a sort of chef's choice

 

it is Sooooooo  delicious .  it barely reminds me of cooked shrimp.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive only had raw shrimp  a few times , 

 

Wait till you try live shrimp. If you can catch them. Chasing live shrimp wriggling around my plate, while only armed with chopsticks was.. was... was... interesting!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steaks from the freezer with a baked potato, both cooked outside on the grill last night. It was about 90 F and humid  yesterday. I did a lot of yard work, but had to make frequent retreats into the house with the A/C.

HC

IMG_0765.thumb.JPG.5a9000b1c1d017ca74b5f4250f28d033.JPG

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KennethT said:

 

20180526_205444.thumb.jpg.d01e0f0e6fa49d5e6b619ea1ec72b6ca.jpg

Kanpachi usuzukura. The little green dabs are chili puree and it had a yuzu sauce.

 

Yuzukosho - one of my favourite condiments. So underrated, maybe because so little known. Fantastic on grilled fatty pork as well ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@liuzhou

 

very interesting

 

as delicious this might be

 

its not going to happen i9n my area or where ever i go

 

in the weeks to follow

 

but Ive very pleased that I was offer raw shrimp a few times

 

as they are so different from cooked , lightly or not

 

and then there is the Uni of the Sea

 

a lot comes from Maine and rapidly transported 

 

elsewhere

 

best dessert anywhere 

 

Id say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard that most uni comes from Santa Barbara. There are huge kelp fields off the coast where they love to feed - most of thisvis exported to Japan. But Hokkaido is known for super high quality because the water is cold and they supposedly have some of the best kelp in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20180527_153302.thumb.jpg.1271af47bd2e49c1bb2982c16661a6ee.jpg

Let the long weekend fun begin! I have ambitions to make 4 different curries this weekend that will be frozen and turned into fast weekday dinners. I dint know if I'll get to all 4 since I also have some light construction to do on the spaceship strawberry garden.... Also please don't judge my exhorbitantly expensive shrimp paste - I didn't have time to go to Chinatown where it's like half that price...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I've heard that most uni comes from Santa Barbara. There are huge kelp fields off the coast where they love to feed - most of thisvis exported to Japan. But Hokkaido is known for super high quality because the water is cold and they supposedly have some of the best kelp in the world.

Our regular sushi place usually has Maine uni and Hokkaido uni. Occasionally, they will feature Santa Barbara uni. This past week, the special uni, still in its shell, was from Maine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×