• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

@TdeV 

i never got around to vac'd vegetables 

SV.  th temp for tenderness 

w the cellulose etc was quite bit higher than meats.

so I never got to them.

if the vac'd contents remain sealed , 

and are pasteurized 

rapidly chilled , and kept cold

I don't see why the veg would not keep as long :

60 -90 days.

however , I have not done this myself w veg

and know nothing about pesky spores and the like.

• Like 1

Serious Eats suggests seven days in the fridge. 
Here.

Use a sous vide immersion circulator to preheat a water bath to 183°F (84°C). Place carrots, butter, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a vacuum bag and seal according to manufacturer's instructions. Cook carrots in the water bath until fully tender, about 1 hour. At this point, carrots can be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried this with baby carrots. Initially OK when used after SV (sorry can't remember the temp), but after freezing vacuum packed they became very soft almost mushy, suitable (for me anyway) to bulk up stews etc.

Even then they tended to be watery and turned to mush which actually provide some body to the sauce.

I think i eventually tossed a couple of packets.

• Thanks 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Thanks, @Bernie. Of the 4 packets I made, I've put one in the freezer. I'll plan to have a stew nearby when I'm ready to open it!

And we ate one. Just tender (no crunch, not mashed) at 185°F for 53 minutes.

• 1 month later...

This grass-fed tri-tip steak got a 120F bath for 4 or 5 hours (I lost track). I had treated it first with a dry rub. When it was dinner time, I blotted the liquids off and gave it a quick hot sear over the grill.

20230720_202835.jpg

Looks good, no? We both agreed the flavor was good, but only a few bites could have been called chewy; the rest were downright tough...inedibly so, in the opinion of my other half.  Not a good thing to say about tri-tip. 

20230720_203327.jpg

So, what should I have done differently? I think I have another of these cuts lurking in the freezer. If I can't get this right, I won't buy it again. Is this a function of grass-fed beef? Note that I had cut it across the grain before serving.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

This grass-fed tri-tip steak got a 120F bath for 4 or 5 hours (I lost track). I had treated it first with a dry rub. When it was dinner time, I blotted the liquids off and gave it a quick hot sear over the grill.

20230720_202835.jpg

Looks good, no? We both agreed the flavor was good, but only a few bites could have been called chewy; the rest were downright tough...inedibly so, in the opinion of my other half.  Not a good thing to say about tri-tip. 

20230720_203327.jpg

So, what should I have done differently? I think I have another of these cuts lurking in the freezer. If I can't get this right, I won't buy it again. Is this a function of grass-fed beef? Note that I had cut it across the grain before serving.

Interesting that I just made some pre-marinated skewers from a trip tip and mine were  tough also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think you need to go longer at a slightly higher temperature … please refer to this.

@mgaretz is the master of SV tri tip - maybe he can weigh in …

I typically do tri-tip at 126F to 128F and it's in the bath for at least 8 hours, but that's usually from frozen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@Smithy 

Tri=Tip is u unusual here .  

they were on sale here some time ago .

labeled  to be Prime , but not sold that way .

the butcher showed me the box , that had various cuts 

all Prime.   after all the 1/2 cow is labeled prime. , not just a few prime cuts .

I SV'd them , then used them for roast beef sandwiches

and they were were outstanding sandwiches.

but I did it at 130.1

I would have loved to have done one exactly as you did

then when cooled  , sliced thin on a slicing machine .

the whole TT , and either use for a sandwich , or Vac as such.

@mgaretz   's  technique is absolutely be the way Id go now

if I had some nice try-tips.

if I were doing this for sandwiches , Id do the 3-day refrigerator cure 

with RedBoat40 , then SV as @mgaretz does.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Question for folks who have done the SV then fried chicken (I know that @Shelby has, but probably others, too).  I am FINALLY going to be cooking a real meal for Mr. Kim's birthday and we are even going to have a guest (his mom).  I'm not sure that I have any cooking mojo still, so I'm looking for do-aheads and shortcuts that will still honor his requests.  For example he wants biscuits and mashed potatoes - so, I'm going to do those two ingredient cream biscuits that you scoop up with an ice cream scoop and some slow cooker mashed potatoes.  He's also asked for raisin pie for dessert.  This is a whole other issue as I am NOT a pie lady (and his mother IS) and I've never made raisin pie, but I digress.  

My question is about how much ahead I can SV the chicken and then fry it.  I have a real aversion to chicken that is cooked, refrigerated and then reheated - I think it gets a distinct and unpleasant flavor.  I don't know if this would happen to SV chicken, but don't want to take that chance.  Can I do this so that it comes out of the bath a couple of hours before I fry it and NOT refrigerate it?  Just let it sit at room temp for an hour or so before I start coating it?  Thanks so much.  I am SO out of practice and really need the advice!  

@Kim Shook

w SV  Id make sure there is little to no air in your bags.

Id understand that if you reach the pasteurization point

and rapidly chill ( w no leaks )  the chicken can keep chilled for quite a wjhile

safely .

in your case , if possible , keep it in the bath  ( temp > 130 F ) for those couple of hours .

pat dry , coat and fry.   that's the safest way .

temps < 130 F , and greater than 34 or so F  are the potential problem temps

if say , if completely and thoroughly pasteurized , a couple of hours in that zone 

will  not matter , as long as the bag remains sealed.

rapid chilling ( lots and lots of ice )

simply allow you to keep the intact SV bag , in the low 30's F

for quite some time.

which is something you are not aiming for.

good luck , but you won't need it .

• Thanks 1

Thanks, @rotuts!  That's what I'll do!

Another couple of questions.  Normally, when I make "my" fried chicken I brine it for 12 hours before seasoning and coating the chicken.  Would you all recommend that I still do the brining?  Or is it not needed with SV?  I'm planning on doing my seasoning (Sazon coriander & annatto blend, MSG, lemonade Kool-aid, and pepper - I know it sounds weird, but it's fantastic) before I put the chicken in to SV.  Sound good?

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

Id brine as usual , pat dry , seal , then SV

how long and at what temps do you plan for SV ?

The last time that I did it, I followed the Anova site directions and did it for 2 hours at 155F.  I did all legs that time and this time I'm planning on legs, thighs, and breasts (cut in half).  I was thinking the same temp, but a bit longer for the legs and thighs.  Do you think that the breasts should go in later?

@Kim Shook 

its been a while since Ive looked at pasteurization tables , and I personally SV

at a lower temp , but for longer .  

if you liked the results you got w those times and temps

for the final dish

then don't change it .  thighs and leg should come out similarly with your method.

Id try all three cuts same time and temp.

then decide how you like the breasts that way .  

your flavor will come from the marinade , and the seasonings you add to the coating

and how they crisp up.      the brine might cover any dryness the white meat might have 

at thoe temps.   Im sure its all going to be very tasty .   In  the past , did you use the bag jus

for anything ?   it might be salty . I can't say.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A quick question - how long does one need to cook a tough cut beef sous vide at 132F to pasteurize it?  Doug Baldwin does not list beef  over a thickness of 70mm which pasteurizes in about 6 hours.  I usually do tough cuts for 48 hours.  Would a 100mm piece of beef be pasteurized in that 48 hours?  I want to sous vide it, freeze it and use it at some point in the future.

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

A quick question - how long does one need to cook a tough cut beef sous vide at 132F to pasteurize it?  Doug Baldwin does not list beef  over a thickness of 70mm which pasteurizes in about 6 hours.  I usually do tough cuts for 48 hours.  Would a 100mm piece of beef be pasteurized in that 48 hours?  I want to sous vide it, freeze it and use it at some point in the future.

Definetely. If you follow Baldwin (pasteurization times, table 5.1.), it pretty much aligns with @rotuts suggestion (have to extrapolate, though) …

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id guess , and its a guess , 9 hours or so.

• Thanks 1

I have a bunch of bone-in and boneless short ribs along with beef cheeks about to get pulled and chilled after a 48 hour bath at 133F.  Once iced down, how long can they be safely stored in the refrigerator?  We have a spare fridge that has a separate drawer and I can set the temperature to as low as 31F.  Thank you.

20230920_115232.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)

@ElsieD 

quite some time ago , Ive seen 60 - 90 days 

if properly chilled  ( ice water , w lots of ice )

and a refrigerator that's  34 F or less.

does that extra refrigerator have a freezer ?  

are you trying to avoid freezing them , after proper rapid chilling ?

when to you plan to re-therm and ChowDown ? 

Id use , when properly chilled and kept cold before 2 M 

or freeze after rapid chill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

quite some time ago , Ive seen 60 - 90 days 

if properly chilled  ( ice water , w lots of ice )

and a refrigerator that's  34 F or less.

does that extra refrigerator have a freezer ?  

are you trying to avoid freezing them , after proper rapid chilling ?

when to you plan to re-therm and ChowDown ? 

Id use , when properly chilled and kept cold before 2 M 

or freeze after rapid chill.  

I'm (almost) embarrassed to say this but we have freezers in our two large refrigerators as well as a big stand up freezer.  They are jammed, so the idea is to not freeze everything and to leave some of it in that refrigerator drawer.  I can keep the temperature at 31F, no problem.  That drawer would seldom be opened.  I have 4 packages of short ribs and 6 of beef cheeks so maybe I'll put them all in there.  If I get near the 8 week mark and still have some, I can always freeze the rest at that point, no?

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1