• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

@ElsieD 

I don't see why not .

just make sure the seal to each pack stays intact.

I don't know about the drawer being different than the rest of the refrigerator .

I know my refrigerator is colder in the back than the front .

I dont know much a all about the drawers .

but my refrigerator is older .  as I understand it , in newer refrigerators 

the drawers might be managed differently .

Ive just noticed :  31C.    hopefully you meant 31 F ? 

31 F  will freeze water 

you have 10 packs 

enjoy a pack every 6 days ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the middle of this recipe for Baked Cinnamon & Maple Apples (Sous Vide) which calls for sv-ing at 200°F for one hour, followed by raising temp to caramelize apples for ten minutes. (Anova Combi Steam Oven)

The sous vide has now come to temp (4:40 p.m.) and the apples won't need the caramelization step until about 7 p.m., so I want to "hold" the apples for about an hour.

What temp should that be?

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Im in the middle of this recipe for Baked Cinnamon & Maple Apples (Sous Vide) which calls for sv-ing at 200°F for one hour, followed by raising temp to caramelize apples for ten minutes. (Anova Combi Steam Oven)

The sous vide has now come to temp (4:40 p.m.) and the apples won't need the caramelization step until about 7 p.m., so I want to "hold" the apples for about an hour.

What temp should that be?

I did the hour hold at 150°F 50% steam.

The apple dish was very delicious. I probably had quite a bit more apple than the recipe, and it ended up not too sweet.  At the end, the apples were caramelized for probably 12-13 minutes (but it did have to reheat).

8" x 13" pyrex dish, 3/4 demolished by 4 people, with a little cream.

IMG_5718_cropped.thumb.jpg.ccce16f6f09d020e03edd1314d339c71.jpg

IMG_5722_CroppedSmall.thumb.jpg.dad3c0f9475f5383aa7c2176d4067234.jpg

Source of recipe: Baked Cinnamon & Maple Apples (Sous Vide) which calls for sv-ing at 200°F for one hour, followed by raising temp to caramelize apples for ten minutes. (Anova Combi Steam Oven)

Edited by TdeV
Edited to add pictures/notes (log)
  • Like 4

@TdeV 

the only thing I can thick of at the moment :

precipitation 

Open SV  ( which is what Ill call the Anova SV settings ) 

might have less precipitation on the item cooking  ( uncovered )

than steam cooking .    but that remains to be testes as I have not done open SV

in the CSO there is precipitation , on the sides of the oven  

( notice the drip pan )   if not the item being cooked.

I wonder is Open SV  is a bit of a gimmick name

not necessarily completely so 

over steam cooking at < 212 F

• 1 month later...

I'm finishing up my annual turkey fest.  I cooked two birds - one 17# and the second 12#.  The leg quarters and wings were seasoned, bagged,  then sous vide for 36 hours at 148.  I let them air dry for a few hours then smoked with my Smokai pellet smoker on the gas grill.  Two legs quarters have been deboned and will be used in gumbo tomorrow.

IMG_20231123_123211863_HDR.thumb.jpg.6177f5c8c46129b4d174eb9a41e69017.jpg 

The  breast were prepped three different ways.  The tenderloins were separated from the breast and were bacon wrapped and bagged.  The larger breast was prepared using the Serious Eats turchetta recipe then bagged. The smaller breast was seasoned and bagged.  They were cooked at 138 for about 4 to 6 hours.  I'll finish them by flash frying over the next couple of days.

IMG_20231121_170806894-EDIT.thumb.jpg.c4a90acd074b6e1ff6e3b0d970ffc3c1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

15 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

I'm finishing up my annual turkey fest.  I cooked two birds - one 17# and the second 12#.  The leg quarters and wings were seasoned, bagged,  then sous vide for 36 hours at 148.  I let them air dry for a few hours then smoked with my Smokai pellet smoker on the gas grill.  Two legs quarters have been deboned and will be used in gumbo tomorrow.

IMG_20231123_123211863_HDR.thumb.jpg.6177f5c8c46129b4d174eb9a41e69017.jpg 

The  breast were prepped three different ways.  The tenderloins were separated from the breast and were bacon wrapped and bagged.  The larger breast was prepared using the Serious Eats turchetta recipe then bagged. The smaller breast was seasoned and bagged.  They were cooked at 138 for about 4 to 6 hours.  I'll finish them by flash frying over the next couple of days.

IMG_20231121_170806894-EDIT.thumb.jpg.c4a90acd074b6e1ff6e3b0d970ffc3c1.jpg

First - beautiful job on the bacon lattice!  What type of wood did you use to smoke the leg quarters?  How long did they smoke for since they were already fully cooked and tender?

10 hours ago, KennethT said:

First - beautiful job on the bacon lattice!  What type of wood did you use to smoke the leg quarters?  How long did they smoke for since they were already fully cooked and tender?

Thanks, I used pecan pellets and smoked the meat for a little over 3 hours.  That little Smokai will crank out quite a bit of smoke with the air pump on high and was glad to get such good color. My gas grill is getting pretty old (and inefficient ) with one burner on low.   I checked the internal temp toward the end of smoking and was below the water bath temp.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

Here's a photo of the turchetta after being browned and sectioned.   Very moist and tender after 5 hours @ 138F.  I sectioned it into three portions for latter use.

IMG_20231130_123657774.thumb.jpg.e3a4cbb6ac3f46809a44c1709568c576.jpg

What's the stuffing?

• 3 weeks later...

I found a good deal on rib roasts at Kroger - $5.99/lb.  I'd love to SV it, but I'm not sure it's going to fit into my largest Food Saver bag roll.  It is about 8 1/2 pounds.  I tried it on a test strip I cut off and I could barely get the roast through the circle.  So, whether it goes in is questionable.  Assuming I can, I have a few questions.  I plan on freezing it and cooking in January or February.  What is the best way to go about this?  Should I apply a rub before I bag and freeze it?  The rub I usually use for beef is Montreal Steak Seasoning and a little brown sugar.  Ideas/advice, please.  Thanks so much!!!  

@Kim Shook

are their ribs attacked ?

one onion is to carefully remove them , leaving as much meat on the roast as you can 

or leave a little meat on the ribs and roast those as a separate meal .

then cut the roast you have in half , so now you have tow smaller roasts .

SV works will all sizes , so you will be fine w two roasts.

I think is fine to season as you would normally and vac // freeze.

then you can start your SV cooking , hopefully the basg are still air tight 

from frozen.   just add more time .    use the jus for the start of a gravy .

remember that at lower temps w SV ,  130 - 135 , time is your tenderness and a few hours extra

does not effect the result on your plate very much

love to see a pic of that roast before you start its journey to your plate

5.99 is a very good price.  here MarketBasket has something possibly similar , $ 9.99.

you've got a good deal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are great ideas, @rotuts!  Thank you so much.  My mind was just not working that way.  A big plus to doing it that way is that I will then have bones with which to make a great stock and my gravy ahead of time.  Is there any advantage or real reason to cut the meat into two pieces?  Or would it be ok to leave it whole? 

• 4 weeks later...

Tried something different making Canadian bacon. Cured and seasoned as usual but instead of smoking to 150f internal, I smoked it for about 2 hrs at 250 and then finished with 3 hrs in a 150f bath. 

20240107_184906.thumb.jpg.c4390daa2250e2c41bf31ba3049a0308.jpg 

even worse than usual picture but results were very moist.

Edited by billyhill
to clean it up (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 2

• 2 weeks later...

Put some baby back ribs in the SV yesterday, now in the smoker. I haven't cooked ribs in decades.

Texturally, they were fine. Next time, I would go a different direction with the rub. My daughter loved them and these were made at her request. 

20240203_163153.jpg

Edited by billyhill
Add picture and comment. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

• 3 weeks later...

time and temp recommendations

for pork shoulder , in large chunks , w seasonins

for carnitas .

to me , SV is for meat to be at the SV'd lowest possible temp

for its eventual use   rare , for sliced sandwiches ' steak '

Ive stuck w those temps and understand the longe times

which are unattended.

Ive not done many ' braise ' style meats  w SV

Id like to keep a tender ( picking the longer time ) and pulls off the bone

but in chunks , not stands .

thinking back to my S.P's corned beef days 

142.5 was the temp I chose ,  a bit more than 140 and a bit less than 145.

I like to get this texture at the lowest possible temp.

iff you've done ' carnita style beef  texture wise 

what are your time and temps ?

thank you 

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@billyhill

those ribs look delicious .

what were your time and temps ?

how did you smoke them ?

22 hours @ 140

Smoked on a vision ceramic grill @250. I don't remember how long.

Cherry, apple, and hickory smoke.

Edited by billyhill
Add details. (log)
  • Like 2

20240225_104134.thumb.jpg.70f2fa8cfb783d878e0f0dcc80a1de29.jpgSmoked some picana and a chuck roast yesterday (250 with hickory and cherry), finished both sv. 

The picana was in 2 inch steaks. Heat was uneven and one finished much earlier. Needed to hold awaiting dinner and I really needed a nap😯. Pulled them and put in SV for 2 hours at 130f.

The chuck was a victim of me fading early. I am still recovering from a upper respiratory infection. Pulled it a 148 after about 6 hours in smoker and put it in SV at 160 for 12 hrs. Tried some this morning and it turned out great.

Edited by billyhill
Pic added (log)
  • Like 4