• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 1)

Anna N

For today's breakfast, had some leftover rice so I made the Crispy Ginger Rice with Leeks, Shiitakes and a Fried Egg from Deep Run Roots once again.  This time I threw in a small amount of leftover Gingered Collards that had been sitting in the fridge. This is a great leftover-using recipe!

IMG_4725.thumb.jpg.a6c4e7a7b262f2fa1d6f5b9d0d206469.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpeg.1d9d4ec3ae5bbd96dbef88e6607de579.jpeg

Leftover Dublin Coddle. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.163e7988bd9b9c7dcc7ad6aad482b289.jpeg

The very thing I did not want for dinner last evening was exactly what I wanted for breakfast this morning.   I live alone. I suspect that is the state I should maintain.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ill have to try this method for a Toastie.   I put the tomato's under the cheese.

For me the biggest challenge is to make sure that I cover as much of the bread as possible. Failure to do so means I end up with charcoal crusts.  I find that it's much easier to avoid the char if I use cheese slices rather than using crumbled cheese (which is all I had today). 

My 2004 eG Blog

this has worked for me :

I first lightly toast the bread.  say a medium

I cover the bread w tomatoes , including the crust  ( or as much as I can )  then put slices of melting cheese on top of the

tomatoes and broil.   HomeAgeds  brie form TJ's   ( the slices that 'ooze out ' a bit ) work well

but any chess that melts does fine

• Like 1

Green eggs and ham frittata in the oven.  

Sauteed potatoes, 3 eggs with 2 tsp of pesto mixed in then scattered with diced ham.  Set the bottom then into a 350 F oven for about 10 minutes.       DING!

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg.4d6fe7e66fcca90e502164ac7efe33dc.jpeg

When something appears on your plate three times in three days there is a strong indication that one ought to place a grocery order. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.ce595756b06e18fbd0fdc78fa93c96b8.jpeg

I finally placed a grocery order which will be delivered tomorrow. This was my cue to go through my refrigerator  and see what needed to be used up/tossed out/repurposed.   Breakfast took care of a few of the weary vegetables. There is still much work to be done.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I grew up in DC where we loved fried bologna sandwiches...here in Indonesia  bologna is difficult to find...so, fried smoked beef•egg•cheese on whole wheat toast

IMG_1490849976555.jpg

• Like 9

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Perfect!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, blue_dolphin said:

You know, I've never made this.  My mom used to make it for us kids from time to time.  Always when my dad was out as he had developed a WWII US army aversion to the dish.  I liked it.  Crisp toast, salty meat, creamy gravy.  What's not to like? Except sometimes there were canned peas in the gravy :o No can do canned peas. No can do.

My Mom often made Creamed Beef on Toast for us, it was my absolute favorite breakfast.  My dh wouldn't eat this stuff either as he developed a distaste for it after his time in the army.

My choice these days is to buy it frozen, made by Stouffers. 

Now that I think about it, I remember I have a package in my big freezer....I haven't had breakfast yet so I'll be having creamed beef on toast!

20dfc41d-3aa8-472c-95dd-533b78091f23_1.3c0704c275adebd5766002f64bc07643.jpeg?odnWidth=421&odnHeight=421&odnBg=ffffff

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 5

image.jpeg.81001fc66b0045c5d186fa39d8c30910.jpeg

I was following a recipe that called for taking apart some link sausages, re-seasoning them and forming them into a patty.  This recipe also called for some arugula which I carefully added to my grocery order.  Said order was delivered this morning.  No arugula just a large bunch of cilantro which I hate.  The refund was welcome but the arugula would've been better.  I am certain that @rotuts will  notice that the cheese has melted.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.c8b75a14a61406d59fbf4010ec03beca.jpeg

I fell down multiple rabbit holes yesterday reading all of our Recipes that Rock topics.   So many recipes that I always meant to try!

Although I jumped on the roasted cauliflower bandwagon very early, I strongly resisted the idea of roasted broccoli.  That was foolish. This is Ina Garten's rendition with garlic (which I forgot), parmesan, pine nuts, and lemon zest and juice. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.3b3d0a2fdcb9fee39073e96fc39f9e5e.jpeg

image.jpeg.703002db018f57be8c57902d947f3757.jpeg

These should be criminalized.  I explained elsewhere how I fell down the rabbit hole of previous topics featuring Recipes that Rock.  I ran across a recipe for flaky cheese biscuits from Fine Cooking.  I decided to make 1/2 of the recipe.  I used a mix of cheeses (cheddar, gruyere, parmesan, grano padano)  and chose to make three biscuits by cutting the dough with a knife rather than a cookie cutter.  My plan was to make a breakfast sandwich.  Putting anything else on these biscuits would move them from a misdemeanor to a felony. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog